Old February 17th 07, 12:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default Quantity Over Quality (Was: Unwritten policy and the intent of the average amateur ...)

On 14 Feb 2007 22:43:58 -0800, "
From: Leo on Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:50:23 -0500
wrote:
On Feb 13, 7:15?pm, Leo wrote:
On 13 Feb 2007 16:43:31 -0800, wrote:
On Feb 13, 5:13?pm, Leo wrote:
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 15:12:59 -0500, Leo wrote:
On 8 Feb 2007 18:01:57 -0800, wrote:

If 250,000 miles isn't accurate enough for you, then you must fault
your buddy Len too. Because he stated the distance as a quarter
million miles....

Hiding behind Len now, are we....?

Never thought I'd see the day!

(him too, I'd reckon.....)

* TRUE! *Maybe it's because tomorrow (the 14th) is Valentine's
* Day and he has a crush on me? *:-( * *[horrors!]

Gaaaaaaaaaah! *What an image that created!!!

Quick....pass the mental floss! *

* Ech...I have these moments every time I come in to this
* Din of Inequity... *:-(

Quite natural, that..... *

Well, it's cheaper than going to those fake Hollywood horror
movies and I can have my own popcorn.

That was quite odd.

* I thought it quite SOP (Standard Operating Practice) of him.

It seems to be......it's odd, though.

* True, but you have to realize where you are and what he is.

And where he is......still hiding (behind you? - hey, move over and
let's see! *hee hee!) , unable to face reality.

Well, he lost his cool yesterday and gave K4YZ a slap on
the wrist with a wet noodle. He do dat 'bout twice a year
(perhaps to show off his "manliness"?).

There are quite a few lines in the preceeding posts that he has chosen
not to comment on......no rebuttal, no contest. *Guess he figured that
no one would notice!

I'll be happy to point them out again when he returns with another
load of chaff..... *

No matter to me. Hey, the guy has a "judge roy bean" complex
and wants to be "all the law east of the Pecos." Let him.
shrug

* Mental picture of Cranky Spanky trying to "correct" the
* guys at JPL, especially their QC folks. *:-)

He once claimed that Industry Canada was wrong......look out, JPL!

* I'll pass the warning on to them. *JPL is just a whoop and
* a holler from my place...been there...:-)

Do they have a wind tunnel? *They could null him out with a bit of
Newton's Third....

They 'borrow' one from another NASA agency. That was the
one they rigged to test the Mars Rover's "bouncing balloon"
deployment system. That was shown on a recent TV cable
documentary.

While JPL started out with JATO bottle design in WW2,
they drifted off into unmanned spacecraft by the 1960s
and stayed in that field of work, divorced organizationally
from California Institute of Technology (their origin) and
established somewhat close to Pasadena's Rose Bowl.
Note: "Somewhat" is an Angeleno term and "somewhat
close" could be several miles to us down here. :-)

Too approximate. *You're either precise or approximate - you can't
have it both ways!

* He wants to have his cake and eat anyone who says he can't!

Heh.....that's fer sure! *More bark than bite, though......

* "The squeaky wheel gets de grease" as the old saying goes.
* He gottum two degrease, collitch degrease. *From a
* university that was the SECOND one to build an electronic
* computer...

Without his help, fortunately.... *

Yes! :-) But Eckert and Mauchly DID crib ideas from
Atanasof at Iowa State...as was proven in the federal
copyright trial held in the US much after ENIAC had
been sold off.

Stopped watch theory. *See above.

* Cranky ought to apply for a job at NIST. *He's got an Allan
* Variance no one would believe!

now THAT'S funny! *Best one yet!

* Watch. *Cranky will search for "Allan Variance," then start
* lecturing about it...("he knew it all along")

Maybe not....he's got enough balls in the air already, figuratively
speaking....

...or maybe literally speaking! :-)

* Note: *You can lead a horologist to water but you can't
* make him prostitute himself...

True...but if he fell in, would he be a clock soaker?

* Heeeeee! *Five Stars for that one! *Superb. *:-)

Thanks!

You're welcome. A nice variant on the stock packer at a
hosiery maker: A sock tucker.

Ba-dum-bump!

[Heil off to one side, muttering, "You're not funny, Leonard."]

LA

[No electrons were annhilated in the writing of this message...]

Old February 17th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Leo Leo is offline

On 16 Feb 2007 16:22:45 -0800, "
wrote:

On 14 Feb 2007 22:43:58 -0800, "
From: Leo on Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:50:23 -0500
On Feb 13, 5:13?pm, Leo wrote:
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 15:12:59 -0500, Leo wrote:
On 8 Feb 2007 18:01:57 -0800, wrote:

If 250,000 miles isn't accurate enough for you, then you must fault
your buddy Len too. Because he stated the distance as a quarter
million miles....

Hiding behind Len now, are we....?

Never thought I'd see the day!

(him too, I'd reckon.....)

TRUE!

aybe it's because tomorrow (the 14th) is Valentine's
Day and he has a crush on me? :-( horrors!]

Gaaaaaaaaaah! hat an image that created!!!

Quick....pass the mental floss!

Ech...I have these moments every time I come in to this
Din of Inequity... :-(

Quite natural, that.....

Well, it's cheaper than going to those fake Hollywood horror
movies and I can have my own popcorn.

That was quite odd.

I thought it quite SOP (Standard Operating Practice) of him.

It seems to be......it's odd, though.

True, but you have to realize where you are and what he is.

And where he is......still hiding (behind you? - hey, move over and
let's see! (ee hee!) , unable to face reality.

Well, he lost his cool yesterday and gave K4YZ a slap on
the wrist with a wet noodle. He do dat 'bout twice a year
(perhaps to show off his "manliness"?).

Mucho macho! Guess we need to add "putz" to the list of personal
accolades that he's acquired here on the battlefield!

That kind of answers your question in an earlier post, though - why
isn't he on the radio doing DX with CW? - or something along those
lines. There's something here that keeps on drawing him in -
something that is missing in his radio hobby. Otherwise, he's be
there! He says that he spends quite a bit of time on the radio - but
who knows? (he's always here on the NG's, furiously pounding the
beejezus out of his keyboard!).

Wonder wassup wi' dat?

There are quite a few lines in the preceeding posts that he has chosen
not to comment on......no rebuttal, no contest. uess he figured that
no one would notice!

I'll be happy to point them out again when he returns with another
load of chaff.....

No matter to me. Hey, the guy has a "judge roy bean" complex
and wants to be "all the law east of the Pecos." Let him.
shrug

That's Mr. Bean to you....

Mental picture of Cranky Spanky trying to "correct" the
guys at JPL, especially their QC folks. :-)

He once claimed that Industry Canada was wrong......look out, JPL!

I'll pass the warning on to them.

PL is just a whoop and
a holler from my place...been there...:-)

Do they have a wind tunnel? hey could null him out with a bit of
Newton's Third....

They 'borrow' one from another NASA agency. That was the
one they rigged to test the Mars Rover's "bouncing balloon"
deployment system. That was shown on a recent TV cable
documentary.

While JPL started out with JATO bottle design in WW2,
they drifted off into unmanned spacecraft by the 1960s
and stayed in that field of work, divorced organizationally
from California Institute of Technology (their origin) and
established somewhat close to Pasadena's Rose Bowl.
Note: "Somewhat" is an Angeleno term and "somewhat
close" could be several miles to us down here. :-)

I didn't realize that JPL's first project was the JATO - thanks for
that! (makes sense!).

Too approximate. ou're either precise or approximate - you can't
have it both ways!

He wants to have his cake and eat anyone who says he can't!

Heh.....that's fer sure!

ore bark than bite, though......

"The squeaky wheel gets de grease" as the old saying goes.
He gottum two degrease, collitch degrease. rom a
university that was the SECOND one to build an electronic
computer...

Without his help, fortunately....

Yes! :-) But Eckert and Mauchly DID crib ideas from
Atanasof at Iowa State...as was proven in the federal
copyright trial held in the US much after ENIAC had
been sold off.

Got a chance to see some of the remaining parts of ENIAC at the
Smithsonian a few years back. Amazing machine - and an incredible
piece of engineering in the vacuum tube era.

After seeing what a BC-221 can do when properly modified, I have no
doubt that Jim could have made a pretty nifty antenna switch out of
it!

Stopped watch theory. ee above.

Cranky ought to apply for a job at NIST. e's got an Allan
Variance no one would believe!

now THAT'S funny!

est one yet!

Watch.

ranky will search for "Allan Variance," then start
lecturing about it...("he knew it all along")

Maybe not....he's got enough balls in the air already, figuratively
speaking....

...or maybe literally speaking! :-)

Maybe!

Note: ou can lead a horologist to water but you can't
make him prostitute himself...

True...but if he fell in, would he be a clock soaker?

Heeeeee! ive Stars for that one! uperb. :-)

Thanks!

You're welcome. A nice variant on the stock packer at a
hosiery maker: A sock tucker.

Ba-dum-bump!

That's pretty witty too!

[Heil off to one side, muttering, "You're not funny, Leonard."]

......speaking of damp horologists.....

LA

[No electrons were annhilated in the writing of this message...]

....just moved around a bit

73, Leo
Old February 17th 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Feb 16, 5:27�pm, Leo wrote:
On 16 Feb 2007 16:22:45 -0800, "
wrote:
On 14 Feb 2007 22:43:58 -0800, "
From: Leo on Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:50:23 -0500
On Feb 13, 5:13?pm, Leo wrote:
[...]

We will never know, I suppose, he be very close-mouthed
about anything of his off-newsgroup life. So much so that
he is close to the style of K4YZ of the "I've got it [document]
in my wallet and it's nobody's business to see it..." school
of 'referencing' what he says.

There are quite a few lines in the preceeding posts that he has chosen
not to comment on......no rebuttal, no contest. *uess he figured that
no one would notice!

I'll be happy to point them out again when he returns with another
load of chaff.....

* No matter to me. *Hey, the guy has a "judge roy bean" complex
* and wants to be "all the law east of the Pecos." *Let him.
* shrug

That's Mr. Bean to you.... *

Jawohl! click, click

[...]

JPL's most-notable achievement (in my book) is the Deep
Space Net (all located well outside of the Montrose-
Pasadena area) with its stable PLLs and cryogenic
front-ends plus the DSP and software to make all the
received data as "clean" as possible. That and the really
deep advance planning on design of the space probes
and rovers...with knowledge that some of controls and
instrumentation and probe computers might malfunction
therefore lots and lots of safeguards have to be added.

Once in a great while, they do screw up...which gets a
lot of negative publicity. Like their orbital mechanics folks
mistakenly using a metric "wrench" instead of an English
one. A rather expensive screw up but we humans are
kind of noted for that. :-(

*"The squeaky wheel gets de grease" as the old saying goes.
*He gottum two degrease, collitch degrease. *rom a
*university that was the SECOND one to build an electronic
*computer...

Without his help, fortunately....

* Yes! *:-) * But Eckert and Mauchly DID crib ideas from
* Atanasof at Iowa State...as was proven in the federal
* copyright trial held in the US much after ENIAC had
* been sold off.

Got a chance to see some of the remaining parts of ENIAC at the
Smithsonian a few years back. Amazing machine - and an incredible
piece of engineering in the vacuum tube era.

On the University of Pennsylvania self-promotion section
about ENIAC they show an internal project of putting the
entirety of the ENIAC architecture on a single IC! :-)

Humans be too impressed by physical bigness, I think,
certainly when it comes to electronics. They don't,
generally, appreciate the amazing amount of functionality
that can be done with micro-circuits.

Of course, some like to do things just for the fun of it.
A professor up in Oregon state has built an all-RELAY
microcomputer function-alike. Fills a half dozen tall,
shallow glass-front cabinets in one room of his house.
Appears to be built of all-new parts. Rather slow, of
course, but the "clock" can be slowed down to show
human senses how the sequencing and logic paths
behave when instructed to do certain tasks. Outside
of being an instruction aid, it has no practical use
except to entertain him and anyone getting a demo.

After seeing what a BC-221 can do when properly modified, I have no
doubt that Jim could have made a pretty nifty antenna switch out of
it! *

Cranky aside, I personally think that the BC-221 "Frequency
Meter" was over-praised. Yes, it has a VERY stable tunable
oscillator and the accompanying book of numbers allows one
to "read" (heterodyne, really) out to five places, maybe six.
But, it never "metered" anything. Still, it was better than
nothing back in WW2 times.

One had to wait until around 1955 (?) to get a true frequency
meter that read out directly any input directly up to 10 MHz.
HP 524. BUFF...Big Ugly Fat Fellow of an oversized
cabinet. Used to calibrate those things. :-(

Did you know the WW2 SCR-300 Walkie-Talkie (FM, low
VHF range) was VFO-controlled? UK had a near copy but
with a different nomenclature. Used an internal crystal
oscillator to spot-check dial calibrations, allow mechanical
corrections of the pointer on the dial. The post-war PRC-8
family did the same sort of thing, "channels" were VFO-ed
and spot-checked with an internal crystal oscillator. No
BC-221 needed to set frequencies with those, no box of
crystals needed to set up a new network. Incredible
engineering design for the terrible operating temperature
ranges encountered..

* [Heil off to one side, muttering, "You're not funny, Leonard."]

.....speaking of damp horologists..... * *

"We Vulcans have a saying, 'Only Nixon can go to China'."

[line from one of the Star Trek movies...:-) has absolutely
NO relevance to anything we were talking about, but then
neither have the morsemen in here busy trying to
assasinate characters]

* [No electrons were annhilated in the writing of this message...]

...just moved around a bit

"Green" newsgrouping. :-)

LA

Old February 17th 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Leo Leo is offline

On 16 Feb 2007 20:53:46 -0800, "
wrote:

On Feb 16, 5:27?pm, Leo wrote:
On 16 Feb 2007 16:22:45 -0800, "
wrote:
On 14 Feb 2007 22:43:58 -0800, "
From: Leo on Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:50:23 -0500
On Feb 13, 5:13?pm, Leo wrote:
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 15:12:59 -0500, Leo wrote:
On 8 Feb 2007 18:01:57 -0800, wrote:

snip

After seeing what a BC-221 can do when properly modified, I have no
doubt that Jim could have made a pretty nifty antenna switch out of
it!

Cranky aside,

Good place for him!

...I personally think that the BC-221 "Frequency
Meter" was over-praised. Yes, it has a VERY stable tunable
oscillator and the accompanying book of numbers allows one
to "read" (heterodyne, really) out to five places, maybe six.
But, it never "metered" anything. Still, it was better than
nothing back in WW2 times.

Interesting point - I've wondered myself why it was called a
'frequency meter' when it did not actually meter anything.....why not
a 'frequency standard', or a 'frequency calibrator'?

snip

LA

73, Leo
Old February 17th 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Feb 17, 5:57�am, Leo wrote:
On 16 Feb 2007 20:53:46 -0800, "
wrote:
On Feb 16, 5:27?pm, Leo wrote:
On 16 Feb 2007 16:22:45 -0800, "
wrote:
On 14 Feb 2007 22:43:58 -0800, "
From: Leo on Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:50:23 -0500
On Feb 13, 5:13?pm, Leo wrote:
[...]

Well, considering when it was designed (probably some time
around 1940 or thereabouts), the name sounded good. There
just wasn't any sort of "meter" device around except for an
audio-range unit or so and it didn't have all that great and
accuracy. The "frequency standards" of that time all involved
stabilized crystal oscillators. Decimal or binary indicators
on front panels just weren't there, no Dekatrons, no Nixies,
no "thermometer" displays using neon bulbs. The flip-flop
was known but there wasn't much call for support circuitry
to drive it (Schmitt triggers, sharp rise-time drivers, etc.).
It was difficult to get an oscilloscope to reach 1 MHz
bandwidth through amplification; had to be direct to the
deflection plates!

I'd like to find out the setup used to make the Tables in
the little book that came with BC-221s. Obviously some
form of automation involved from the type face and format
in the book (typed in on printed blank pages). The
"electric typewriters" were in existance and were no
doubt used, plus servo motor systems to drive the tuning
dial, but how did they coordinate the precise heterodynes
to dial position and then type it on the book form pages?
Must have been some clever engineering innovation to do
that on a production basis back in the 1940s.

The early General Radio "Frequency Standards" (up to
around 1960) were just very big work-alikes to the little
BC-221 with more bells and whistles. A circa-1950
version was at Army station ADA's Receiver site and
always checking Transmitter site carrier frequencies
(reported on the TTY order-wire). A circa-1955 version
was in the Ramo-Wooldridge Calibration Lab where I
got a tiny bit of overtime to check the time-position of
one-second ticks against WWV HF ticks on week-ends.
Had to do that due to varying propagation delays from
Maryland (? old WWV site) to southern California. Had
a big set of marine wet cells to act as an uninterruptible
power supply...BIG ones in a separate room. The stable
1 MHz output of that GR standard went to a secondary
standard HP-524 Frequency Counter that was used for
routine frequency checks of other RF gear. Much,
much easier to measure frequencies on a routine basis
that way!

An acquaintence down here made a little PIC micro
version frequency counter in a tiny wood box that used
a 9 V dry cell for a power supply...with a Hitachi LCD
panel display, back-lit with an LED. I checked the
TCXO against the 60 KHz WWVB carrier for him. Now,
thinking about that, the progress in just a half century
of my experience in electronics is nothing short of
phenomenal. Back in 1950 the electronic counter was
a NEW thing and couldn't reach more than about 1 MHz.
Transistors were just a curiosity and not fully into any
production...ICs hadn't been born and the Microprocessor
was a science-fiction dream. There weren't any LCD
display panels and no LEDs to back-light them then.
"Digital" back then involved counting on fingers. Powering
a "complex" counter and display by a small 9 VDC
battery would have sent the claimant out of the room
amidst the sound of raucous laughter...claims of
operation up beyond 30 MHz would have added to the
hooting and hollering.

And today some olde-tyme hammes insist that manual
morse code is "essential" to radio communications!
I shake my head in wonderment at these ancient radio
dinosours of pursed, disapproving lips.

Old February 25th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Leo Leo is offline

On Feb 13, 5:13?pm, Leo wrote:
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 15:12:59 -0500, Leo wrote:
On 8 Feb 2007 18:01:57 -0800, wrote:

On Feb 8, 8:40?pm, Leo wrote:
On 8 Feb 2007 17:35:24 -0800, wrote:

On Feb 8, 5:35?pm, Leo wrote:
As far out as the Moon, I'll bet - say, how far is that, anyway?

About 250,000 miles. Varies because the orbit is not a perfect circle.

have conflicting figures here from
some 'engineer' in this group, who
will remain useless.....

Who is that, Leo?

That was you.

No, it wasn't. You are mistaken, Leo.

I'm sorry, Jim - you are incorrect ..... once again!

Nope. The earth-to-moon distance is approximately 250,000 miles.

By your 'accuracy' scale. (LOL!))

238,000 is a much more accurate approximation at apogee and perigee -
and thus, on average, in general.

I have posted the approximate distance from the earth to the moon here
a few times. 250,000 miles, each time.

A bit too approximate, OM

In your opinion.

- it varies considerably as the distance
changes during the orbit cycle:

As I noted when I wrote:

"About 250,000 miles. Varies because the orbit is not a perfect
circle."

Mean distance: 238,712 miles
At apogee: 252,586 miles
At perigee: 221,331 miles

That's a 11% error rate at perigee, and approaching a 5% error rate
at mean distance.

Nope.

Not an "error rate".

I'm guessing that you aren't employed by NASA.....

The figure 250,000 miles is accurate to within 11.5%.
(approximately) at perigee, using your figures.

Twice in each orbit, the earth-to-moon distance is exactly 250,000
miles, btw.

Twice each day, a stopped watch is accurate, Jim......just like this
miscalculation - er, approximation....whatever you say

ot too far off at apogee, though - perhaps we can
get someone to hold it still for you?

If 250,000 miles isn't accurate enough for you, then you must fault
your buddy Len too. Because he stated the distance as a quarter
million miles....

Hiding behind Len now, are we....?

Never thought I'd see the day!

(him too, I'd reckon.....)

But you were much closer than you were with your Mars calculations!
One of them went over a 100% error rate.

(just in case you forgot again, you can find that one with Google if
you search the groups for the following subject line: " European
Mars probe to use 80meters to look for Martian water?" - August 7,
2004, to be precise).

Yup, I made an error on the Earth-to-Mars distance. So what? The error
was corrected.

By Len, actually. Not by you!

(you left it sit until 2 days later (August 9th), after several posts
pointing it out.......and even then, you tried to obscure it with a
new set of calcs - quite redundant, in fact, as the correct numbers
were already supplied in the posts immediately following the error.

That was quite odd.

Did I call anyone names for pointing out m,y mistake?

Not that I recall. I don't think you even pointed out your mistake -
until it had already been done.

Did I make fun of their education?

...now that would have been funny!

You're welcome!

Ptoooey - did you forget?

Ptoooey?

Ptoooey.

Ptoooey.

No signoff again?

ad form!

73, Leo

(why be 'approximate' when exact is so easy?)

No reply? orse form....

Why should I reply to someone who is anonymous?

Just thinking of that now?

Anonymous' means 'Having an unknown or unacknowledged name'. Mine's
Leo! (duh!)

You yourself have 'acknowledged' it many times in past correspondence
with me, over the past three years.

You forgot, huh? I understand.

(how can someone argue vehemently an error of only 0.04% in one
thread, and be as much as 11 percent out in this
one - and over 100
percent in another?? hat just ain't logical!!)

Who is arguing over an error of 0.04%, Leo?
Certainly not me.

No?

...Gee, wasn't that you who was arguing with Len that 49.46% rounds up
to 50%, and not 49%?

That's a difference (error) of 0.04%, isn't it?

Um....yes, it is!

Wrong Again, Jim! (ouch!)

Len claimed:

"that Technician class is now bigger
than ALL other US license classes combined"

But he was wrong. 100% mistaken.

That puts you in good company, Jim - you have been a member of the
100%er's club too!

Actually, Len was only off a few fractions of a percent, by your own -
ahem - calculations. You, however, were definitely in the 100%-plus
error category. Galactically speaking, of course.

Even if we allow the inclusion of Technician Pluses in the total, they
do not exceed the number of all other US license classes combined. The
difference is more than 0.5%, not 0.04%.

-um- that wasn't the 0.04% error thingie, Jim....please try to follow
along!

But the percentage difference doesn't matter. Len did not specify
"approximately" or cite any numbers in his claim

He didn't specify approximately, but he cited many, many numbers in
his claim!

In fact, his claim was based on numbers.....

"that Technician class is now bigger
than ALL other US license classes combined"

All he did was make the claim, which is either true or false. Only two
possible states - true or false - not a question of approximations or
percentage of accuracy.

I showed Len's claim to be false - using the numbers Len provided!
Those numbers are exact, not approximations.

In short:

The earth-to-moon distance is approximately 250,000 miles. Both Len
and I agree on that.

Too approximate. You're either precise or approximate - you can't
have it both ways!

Twice per orbit, the earth-to-moon distance is exactly 250,000 miles.

Stopped watch theory. See above.

but

The Technician class is *not* now bigger
than all other US license classes combined.
And if present trends continue, it never will be.

Perhaps! Perhaps not.

Jim, N2EY

73, Leo

Hmmm.....no rebuttal comments regarding the points listed above for 12
days now.

Hope you enjoyed the math lesson - we'll do it again soon!

73, Leo
Old February 26th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

From: Leo on Sun, Feb 25 2007 10:57 am

On Feb 13, 5:13?pm, Leo wrote:
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 15:12:59 -0500, Leo wrote:
On 8 Feb 2007 18:01:57 -0800, wrote:

The Technician class is *not* now bigger
than all other US license classes combined.
And if present trends continue, it never will be.

Perhaps! Perhaps not.

Hmmm.....no rebuttal comments regarding the points listed above for 12
days now.

Hope you enjoyed the math lesson - we'll do it again soon!

I don't think he did...probably because he can't
control the subject being argued, especially the
comparisons he insists on using. :-)

Just in looking at
www.hamdata.com figures from 22 Feb
to 25 Feb, the barest trend might be showing up.

Overall USA totals went from 721,781 (22nd) to 721,745
(25th), a loss of 42. That was despite a tiny peak on
the 24th to 721,839. Club calls increased by 6 from
10,349 (22nd) to 10,355 (25th)...so thats a small
stabilizing influence. :-)

The number of no-code-test Techs went from 311,851 (22nd)
to 311,948 (25th) for a gain of 97. That despite a drop
of 30 between 311,978 (24th) to 311,048 (25th) which may
explain the slight rise in General class: 142,031 (22nd)
to 142,043 (25th) for an increase of 12. Extra class went
from 111,464 (22nd) to 111,497 (25th) for a gain of 33.
That raises a question of just WHERE did those increases
come from?

His (apparent) home-made software just doesn't tell him
from where. He keeps implying that "no-code-test Techs
are all dropping out after 12 years" but yet those same
numbers are RISING. Since that is apparent, then the
number of new licensees coming in that way must be LARGER
than the 97 gain indicated by raw hamdata.com numbers!

At present data on the 25th, the total of no-code-test
Techs to Tech-Plus is 352,210 (40,262 Tech Plus). The
number of INDIVIDUAL licensees (less Club calls) on
the 25th is 711,390. Combined, Tech and Tech-Plus are
49.51% of the total. Yes, that is NOT 50.01% but it is
so damn close to 50% that only an unreasonable pedant
would make a case for it "not being larger!" :-)

What hasn't been made clear is EXACTLY where and with
what Miccolis gets his data, data that he posts with
implied "accuracy." I just go to www.hamdata.com and
get their raw numbers...no sweat, no bother tying up a
line (one needs DSL or equivalent to handle multi-MB
files daily) and there is inherent TRUST with their
numbers. On the other hand, there ain't no "trust" with
Miccolis data. Does he use raw FCC database files and
do sorting/tabulating from that? Or does he crib from
some other, as yet unidentified source?

Miccolis claims to "know" which and how many licensees
are still within the 10-year license period. If he can
"know" that, then a few days of raw data comparison can
show "upgrades" from a "lower" class to a "newer." That
would be a good indicator of WHERE the changes come from.
He doesn't do that. He just makes noises implying that
"all the decreases" are coming from the no-code-test
class "dropouts." Yet the raw hamdata numbers show
increases in that class. He hasn't been able to explain
that yet.

Miccolis keeps talking about the "not counting" those in
the 2-year grace period. He hasn't explained HOW he
determines this. It is possible to determine since the
data fields ARE there in the database...just as there are
indicators of not having been licensed before, thus are
newbie entries. The once-newbies in no-code-test Tech
who actually drop out after 12 years can be determined
but all we get from him is the unquantified general-case
ambiguous stuff about "they are just dropping out." :-(

Regardez,
LA

Old February 26th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Leo Leo is offline

From: Leo on Sun, Feb 25 2007 10:57 am

On Feb 13, 5:13?pm, Leo wrote:
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 15:12:59 -0500, Leo wrote:
On 8 Feb 2007 18:01:57 -0800, wrote:

The Technician class is *not* now bigger
than all other US license classes combined.
And if present trends continue, it never will be.

Perhaps! Perhaps not.

Hmmm.....no rebuttal comments regarding the points listed above for 12
days now.

Hope you enjoyed the math lesson - we'll do it again soon!

I don't think he did...probably because he can't
control the subject being argued, especially the
comparisons he insists on using. :-)

Good point!

[...]

Agreed.

What hasn't been made clear is EXACTLY where and with
what Miccolis gets his data, data that he posts with
implied "accuracy." I just go to www.hamdata.com and
get their raw numbers...no sweat, no bother tying up a
line (one needs DSL or equivalent to handle multi-MB
files daily) and there is inherent TRUST with their
numbers. On the other hand, there ain't no "trust" with
Miccolis data. Does he use raw FCC database files and
do sorting/tabulating from that? Or does he crib from
some other, as yet unidentified source?

....as Mark Twain* said - "there are lies, damn lies, and statistics".
Too bad he never got the chance to discover RRAP - he never knew how
right he was!

* (or Benjamin Disraeli.....who knows?)

Regardless of the source of the numbers, the results would be more
believable if the calculations were shown for each
category.....otherwise, the numbers are just that - numbers. Numbers
which can be tailored to support one's own agenda, should they wish to
do so....

Plus, our resident - ahem - statistician does not have much of a track
record here in the rigorous calculations area......lol

Miccolis claims to "know" which and how many licensees
are still within the 10-year license period. If he can
"know" that, then a few days of raw data comparison can
show "upgrades" from a "lower" class to a "newer." That
would be a good indicator of WHERE the changes come from.
He doesn't do that. He just makes noises implying that
"all the decreases" are coming from the no-code-test
class "dropouts." Yet the raw hamdata numbers show
increases in that class. He hasn't been able to explain
that yet.

Agreed. Refer to the 'average distance to the Moon' that I called him
on......I presented detailed reasoning to show his error - he simply
restated his position over and over, as if doing do made it correct!

Looks like a familiar pattern.

Miccolis keeps talking about the "not counting" those in
the 2-year grace period. He hasn't explained HOW he
determines this. It is possible to determine since the
data fields ARE there in the database...just as there are
indicators of not having been licensed before, thus are
newbie entries. The once-newbies in no-code-test Tech
who actually drop out after 12 years can be determined
but all we get from him is the unquantified general-case
ambiguous stuff about "they are just dropping out." :-(

There appears to be a belief amongst some here that the removal of
code testing will open the floodgates, resulting in an influx of new
hobbyists who saw code as a barrier, and up to now stayed out of
Amateur Radio.

I don't believe that this is likely to happen. Of course, there are
some who may have been held back by Morse code testing alone (which
may have been true in 1960, but not in communications rich 2007) - but
I'd say that the vast majority of people interested in becoming hams
have already done so.

Considering the paradoxical manner in which Morse code testing was
dropped in the US, new wannabe hams still have the hurdle of two exams
to pass before they hit the General level and have significant access
to the HF voice subbands. The Tech and Tech Plus licensees gained very
little when code was dropped - a small voice allotment on 10m (not
worth the expense of setting up an HF station for...), and (here's the
paradox...) access to three HF CW subbands, which are useless to them
without the ability to use Morse code! For this reason alone, I would
expect to see a decrease in the Tech categories, and a proportionate
increase in the General category (and to a lesser degree, Extra),
representing the Techs who wish to take advantage of the Morse-free HF
access at that level. After this correction, it should level off -
then it's dead guys and decreases for the forseeable future, unless
the younger members of society get r-e-a-l-l-y bored with the
Internet, cellphones, text messaging and IM!

Regardez,
LA

73, Leo
Old February 27th 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

From: Leo on Mon, Feb 26 2007 3:38 pm

From: Leo on Sun, Feb 25 2007 10:57 am
On Feb 13, 5:13?pm, Leo wrote:
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 15:12:59 -0500, Leo wrote:
On 8 Feb 2007 18:01:57 -0800, wrote:

The Technician class is *not* now bigger
than all other US license classes combined.
And if present trends continue, it never will be.

Perhaps! Perhaps not.

Hmmm.....no rebuttal comments regarding the points listed above for 12
days now.

Hope you enjoyed the math lesson - we'll do it again soon!

I don't think he did...probably because he can't
control the subject being argued, especially the
comparisons he insists on using. :-)

Good point!

CONTROL is everything in this medium. :-)

Miccolis has the annoying habit of trying to solidify
his comparisons of His making, then saying another's
comparison are "wrong" or "mistaken" or some such.

For example, he keeps OMITTING all USA licensees from
totals if they are in the US 2-year grace period. Since
he hasn't presented HOW he determines this (it can be
done from FCC database data fields), everyone has to
take his data on face value. I mean how many have the
time and high-speed connections to grab a daily 80 MB+
data file and sort it? :-)

Now, on this "grace period:" Contrary to implied
belief, the FCC still considers those licensees to
be licensees. Why would they hold the callsigns in
abbeyance until they are renewed? US Regulations
state that licensees cannot operate when in the grace
period until renewed, but they are still "hams" other-
wise. Over a long period of licensing, one can simply
take 5/6th of the totals for a class and say those are
"in the grace period" and not be far off the actual,
exact, uber-pedantic grace period.

At present data on the 25th, the total of no-code-test
Techs to Tech-Plus is 352,210 (40,262 Tech Plus). The
number of INDIVIDUAL licensees (less Club calls) on
the 25th is 711,390. Combined, Tech and Tech-Plus are
49.51% of the total. Yes, that is NOT 50.01% but it is
so damn close to 50% that only an unreasonable pedant
would make a case for it "not being larger!" :-)

Agreed.

In looking at the www.hamdata.com figures by class for
26th February and comparing it with the 22nd (day before
the sky fell on morsemen), there's the barest smidgen
of a trend.

Overall US individual licensee totals fell by 44 (711,432
minus 711,388). Technician class (the evil no-code-test
one that is 'supposed' to be causing all the drop-outs)
went from 311,851 on the 22nd to 311,966 on the 26th.
That's a gain of 115! Except for that short one-day
drop (24th to 25th) of 30, no-code-test Technician class
has been steadily INCREASING. Extras went from 111,464 on
the 22nd to 111,500 on the 26th, a gain of 36 and Generals
went from 142,031 on the 22nd to 142,051 on the 26th,
another gain, of 20. ALL the other classes showed losses.

By the way, the combined Tech and Tech-Plus classes
(352,199) now make up 49.51% of all USA individual
amateur radio licensees. Slow but inexorable growth
trend (albeit very small) despite Tech-Plus losses of
147 from 22nd to 26th. There's a higher-than-even
probability that many Tech-Plusses upgraded to other
classes since the 22nd. Just the same, individual
licensee grand-sum total shows a small decrease in just
five days.

Regardless of the source of the numbers, the results would be more
believable if the calculations were shown for each
category.....otherwise, the numbers are just that - numbers. Numbers
which can be tailored to support one's own agenda, should they wish to
do so....

Plus, our resident - ahem - statistician does not have much of a track
record here in the rigorous calculations area......lol

Well, let's just say that NASA won't be consulting
him anytime soon to help plot Earth to Moon or Earth
to Mars space trips... :-)

Agreed. Refer to the 'average distance to the Moon' that I called him
on......I presented detailed reasoning to show his error - he simply
restated his position over and over, as if doing do made it correct!

Looks like a familiar pattern.

VERY - unfortunately - familiar pattern. :-(

There appears to be a belief amongst some here that the removal of
code testing will open the floodgates, resulting in an influx of new
hobbyists who saw code as a barrier, and up to now stayed out of
Amateur Radio.

That's the PRO-code-testing rationale. It is wrong,
of course, but if that is repeated often enough by
lots of morsemen, it will become "CW" (Conventional
Wisdom).

I don't believe that this is likely to happen. Of course, there are
some who may have been held back by Morse code testing alone (which
may have been true in 1960, but not in communications rich 2007) - but
I'd say that the vast majority of people interested in becoming hams
have already done so.

I agree with you there. But it's almost impossible to
convince the olde-tymers that. :-(

Having observed US amateur radio since the late 1940s
until now, the amount of "real" publicity given about
amateur radio OUTSIDE of the amateur radio community
is limited to the occasional "filler" piece in the
newspapers on weekends or slow news days. It is a
quaint hobby thing done by either kids or retirees
from the general newspaper stories. That overlooks
some REAL efforts done by experimenters (such as a
home-made, precision Vector Network Analyzer) or the
emergency communicators (a group in Arizona having
modified RVs ready-to-roll in very quick notice).

The USA ARRL has simply failed to get any substantive
network and newspaper attention about amateur radio
for YEARS. If they do, it will prominently feature
'officers' of the League...which is itself indicative
of what They seem to have wanted all along. :-(

It is nice that respected newsman Walter Cronkhite
has narrated a special video. Big problem is that
such a video is USELESS to the purpose of attracting
anyone in the general public to ham radio if it airs
in the wee small hours of morning or on "community
channel" cable.

Considering the paradoxical manner in which Morse code testing was
dropped in the US, new wannabe hams still have the hurdle of two exams
to pass before they hit the General level and have significant access
to the HF voice subbands. The Tech and Tech Plus licensees gained very
little when code was dropped - a small voice allotment on 10m (not
worth the expense of setting up an HF station for...), and (here's the
paradox...) access to three HF CW subbands, which are useless to them
without the ability to use Morse code!

I know, but *I* wasn't going to fight that after
trying to drop code testing for over 15 years...

So, the newbies get some (however slight) "action
space" for "CW"...which is really a sop or compromise
to the stridency of olde-tyme hamme morsemen. Maybe
some try it out and do it for a while. It's a safe
bet that the 'establishment' (hard-core morsemen)
aren't going to be kind to them. :-(

For this reason alone, I would
expect to see a decrease in the Tech categories, and a proportionate
increase in the General category (and to a lesser degree, Extra),
representing the Techs who wish to take advantage of the Morse-free HF
access at that level.

I disagree a bit based on my observations in one corner of
a large urban area of the southwestern USA. The interest
of newbies here seems to be for the Technician class.
Given an urban population of roughly 8 million in a 120 by
60 mile area, VHF and up works out very well for contacts
that they can actually meet in-person. Of course, the
Greater L.A. Area is one where the auto rules what
happens and that may not apply to other USA locations.
Again, by direct observation, Techs seem to be younger in
age than the other classes (discounting Novice) and prefer
the company of those nearer their own age. One could see
the same thing two decades ago on the "social" BBSs (those
that had regular in-person gatherings of members). The
"age" group is NOT necessarily just chronological...those
who are bright, lively, alert, flexible with differing
mores and opinions have a "younger" mental age.

The stodgy olde-tymer will take umbrage to that since
they maintain They are bright, lively, etc., but they
overlook the fact that They are holding to thoughts of
a bygone era, three to four decades ago when They were
can't always adapt to that, preferring the company of
those with like minds (or 'hive minds').

After this correction, it should level off -
then it's dead guys and decreases for the forseeable future, unless
the younger members of society get r-e-a-l-l-y bored with the
Internet, cellphones, text messaging and IM!

I agree with the "dead guys and decreases." I don't
quite agree with the others. Yes, the Internet and
cell phone has become the new phenomenon of NOW. Folks
of now ARE affluent enough to afford cell phones and
unlimited-service 'Net accounts. NOW is NOT the
wind-coils-on-round-oatmeal-containers style of pre-
WW2 times or futzing with "crystal sets" and pi-net
two-tube MOPAs in the "most economical manner."
NOW is NOT the 1960s or the 1950s with attendant
monetary values.

The USA pushed a "radio panic button" with 11m CB back
in 1958. A decade later the off-shore makers of
inexpensive but fully-functional, all-channel mobile
or fixed transceivers for the UNlicensed was the lift-
off for communicating. The DESIRE to communicate was
always there. The growth of the BBS and BBS networks
is a different thing but still indicative of a desire
to communicate. That worked until the Internet went
public just 16 years ago...competition in means, a way
that forced most BBSs to just give up. Cell phones
are slightly older but not much...again the DESIRE to
communicate is there and evident from supermarkets to
sidewalks.

Amateur radio CAN help that DESIRE to communicate. But,
it will just shoot itself down if it stays mired in
what was "gee-whiz technology" four decades ago...or the
competition to collect as much wallpaper as possible
(which isn't real communication, just an odd contest).
Amateur radio just can't get anywhere if all the
cheering sections just spend all their time giving each
other high-fives on "how good we are" or "we are the
pioneers of radio" (very, very past tense). Self-
praise is something done here in moom pitchas (see
Sunday's Oscar Awards). The difference is that the
motion picture industry THRIVES on publicity; amateur
radio publicity outside of itself is almost nil.

73, LA

Old February 27th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Leo Leo is offline

On 26 Feb 2007 17:44:22 -0800, "

From: Leo on Mon, Feb 26 2007 3:38 pm

From: Leo on Sun, Feb 25 2007 10:57 am
On Feb 13, 5:13?pm, Leo wrote:
[...]

True enough - the only time that I have seen that video is when I
downloaded it from the ARRL website.

[...]

Probably an accurate assessment...

[...]

Interesting perspective - I hadn't thought of that!

The stodgy olde-tymer will take umbrage to that since
they maintain They are bright, lively, etc., but they
overlook the fact that They are holding to thoughts of
a bygone era, three to four decades ago when They were
can't always adapt to that, preferring the company of
those with like minds (or 'hive minds').

A favourite quote on that subject:

"A man must consider what a rich realm he abdicates when he becomes a
conformist." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

After this correction, it should level off -
then it's dead guys and decreases for the forseeable future, unless
the younger members of society get r-e-a-l-l-y bored with the
Internet, cellphones, text messaging and IM!

I agree with the "dead guys and decreases." I don't
quite agree with the others. Yes, the Internet and
cell phone has become the new phenomenon of NOW. Folks
of now ARE affluent enough to afford cell phones and
unlimited-service 'Net accounts. NOW is NOT the
wind-coils-on-round-oatmeal-containers style of pre-
WW2 times or futzing with "crystal sets" and pi-net
two-tube MOPAs in the "most economical manner."
NOW is NOT the 1960s or the 1950s with attendant
monetary values.

Good point.

The USA pushed a "radio panic button" with 11m CB back
in 1958.

Thanks for saying 11m!

[...]

On that point we agree completely.

73, LA