RadioBanter

-   -   ARS License Numbers (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/26575-re-ars-license-numbers.html)

WA8ULX October 19th 03 05:50 PM

You couldn't find your ass with both hands dannyboy.

I see the Homos are back Dan.

Dan/W4NTI October 19th 03 07:14 PM

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message

link.net...
"Brian" wrote in message
m...
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message

ink.net...

How Come with all these 'new' Ektra class tickets they STILL ain't

covering
the HF bands?

Perhaps they can't figure out how to cut that dipole, eh?

Dan/W4NTI

So you're saying that HF HASN'T been ruined by hordes of unwashed

CBers?

No, Brian....I'm saying that they are too ignorant to get a signal on

HF.

Dan/W4NTI

Bruce, thanks.

Brian

As usual, Brian opens mouth, and inserts foot.
If you are trying to infer that Bruce, WA8ULX, is not able to put up a
antenna for HF, you are wrong.

I talked to him on 14.275 a month ago.

Get over it.

Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI October 19th 03 07:16 PM

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
. net...
Dan/W4NTI wrote:

"GMC" wrote in message

In article , N2EY
wrote:

These are the number of unexpired FCC ARS
licenses held by individuals on the dates listed:

As of May 14, 2000:

Novice - 49,329
Tech - 205,394
Tech Plus - 128,860
General - 112,677
Advanced - 99,782
Extra - 78,750
Total - 674,792

As of October 15, 2003:

Novice - 32,977 (decrease of 16,352)
Technician - 257,303 (increase of 51,909)
Technician Plus - 64,686 (decrease of 64,174)
General - 141,313 (increase of 28,636)
Advanced - 82,589 (decrease of 17,193)
Extra - 104,670 (increase of 25,920)
Total - 683,538 (increase of 8,746)

73 de Jim, N2EY

Jim,

It looks like we are on the road to some deflation in the numbers.
AE4FA has posted numbers gleaned from his research into the FCC
database concerning renewals of the Technician class (no code variety)
and has found that almost 97% of them are not renewing. There is only
a small data window to draw from however, as the first people who held
this license class are only starting to reach the end of the grace
periods. He had a way to filter out licensees who had upgraded. I think
there was 8 months of data when the finding were posted. This could be
why we are about 4,000 licensees down from the peak you mentioned.

73
George
K3UD

--
remove NOSPAM from address

Not a surprise really. All this happened before the cellphone craze got
going. Why bother with a license, especially when they really didn't

care
for ham radio, when all they wanted to do was order a pizza and check up

on
the wife/husband.

If this really is the case, then what happened to the technically
astute technicians who just refused on principle to learn Morse code?
Are they the remaining 3 percent?

Could be a No-code myth here?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Learning the code was a excuse to explain why they didn't upgrade.

Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI October 19th 03 07:26 PM

Your right. I've tried several times and I kept grabbing your tongue.

Dan/W4NTI

"N8WWM" wrote in message ...
You couldn't find your ass with both hands dannyboy.

In article . net,

Dan/W4NTI
says...

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message

link.net...
"N2EY" wrote in message
om...
[...]

You ask wh

Dan/W4NTI October 19th 03 07:26 PM

"WA8ULX" wrote in message
You couldn't find your ass with both hands dannyboy.

I see the Homos are back Dan.

Sure got a lot of them around, lately. Wonder if that has anything to do
with NCI?

Dan/W4NTI

N2EY October 19th 03 07:28 PM

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

N2EY wrote:
In article , GMC

writes:

It looks like we are on the road to some deflation in the numbers.

Perhaps. There are lots of factors influencing the numbers right now. For
example, a new Tech Q&A pool was put in place July 15, and since then the
number of new Techs has plummeted.

I might have posted this before, but if I was a prospective ham at this

juncture, I would probably wait and go for the biggist bang for the buck
- that is to wait and just go for the General ticket after the Morse
code test is gone.

Perhaps - but that means no ham radio at all until the changes take place.
Which could be years. How interested is somebody who will wait that long?

Also, if FCC does just dump Element 1, newbies will still need to pass the Tech
written.

Then again, maybe I wouldn't myself, because I personally think its
going to be four years til things get wrapped up in this area (dropping
the CW test). But others think it will only be a few months.

ARRL's guess was two years, which means July 2005. I used to think that was way
too long, but every day it looks more reasonable. The way things look, now,
with all those petitions out there and ARRL not yet weighed in on anything, it
could be next spring before an NPRM shows up. Note how long ago some petitions
were filed (like that 'refarm the Novice bands' idea) that are still hanging
fire.*

And if 98-143 is any guide, such an NPRM will have a long comment period
and...well, you get the idea.

Then ya got NCVEC talking about a whole series of petitions if/when the code
test goes, which to me sounds like doubling the hill.*

You watch, Mike - if/when the code test is dropped, we'll have a surge of
upgrades and new hams for a while - then things will settle back to about where
they were before restructuring.

73 de Jim, N2EY

* special bonus trivia section - how did the phrases "hanging fire" and
"doubling the hill" originate?

And that is my take on the drop.

Similar situation is my son bought a copy of Finale software. He was
surprised that it offered a free upgrade to the new version, which is
due out in a few months. I asked him if he knew that there was a new
version out in two month, would he have bought this one? Of course the
answer was no for such expensive software. He would have waited, and
Finale's producers would be in a real sales doldrum right now - no one
would be buying.

WA8ULX October 19th 03 07:41 PM

Sure got a lot of them around, lately. Wonder if that has anything to do
with NCI?

Dan/W4NTI

Rumor has it there are a bunch of NCI members that are lite in there loafers.

Dan/W4NTI October 19th 03 08:14 PM

"WA8ULX" wrote in message
Sure got a lot of them around, lately. Wonder if that has anything to do
with NCI?

Dan/W4NTI

Rumor has it there are a bunch of NCI members that are lite in there

loafers.

Help me out here...how does being anti-morse code equate to being 'that way'
??

Dan/W4NTI

WA8ULX October 19th 03 08:25 PM

Help me out here...how does being anti-morse code equate to being 'that way'
??

Dan/W4NTI

Dan I have tried to figure it out, with no luck, maybe it is just part of being
lieeeberal.

N2EY October 19th 03 10:06 PM

In article , "Dee D. Flint"
writes:

I did some exploring around in the FCC database and it appears that there is
a way to determine these things. When a person changes call signs or
upgrades and so on, the old one is marked as "terminated" not "expired".

Is this really the case? I thought an upgrade is considered a modification.
It's my understanding that an upgrade does not extend the license term, but a
vanity call does (to avoid having to prorate the vanity fee).

The term "expired" appears to be used only when a person has neither renewed
nor upgraded. This is based on checking the call signs of persons that I
know upgraded. Changing a name or address does not result in either an
"expired" or "terminated" on the call sign. So if one uses the the feature
so search on the Amateur Radio Service rather than the basic search and
types in dates and checks "expired" and specifies the license class, you
should get those and only those that were not renewed. The numbers are
indeed rather large. Note however, it isn't marked as "expired" until the
two year grace period has elapsed from what I can determine by exploring the
data base.

Interesting stuff, Dee! I wonder how much of this was done by the "97%" folks.

So using the time period 10/18/2000 through 10/18/2001, here are the number
of expired licenses that pop up.

Novice - 5645 expired in that one year time frame
Tech - 3811 expirations
Tech+ - 3687 expirations

This is a total loss of 13,143 of licensees in the year from 10/18/2000 to
10/18/2001.

In those three license classes, anyway. But this info raises a question: If
your method only counts licenses which have reached the end of the grace period
without a renewal, then the expirations listed above are those for licenses
issued or renewed during the period 10/18/1998 to 10/18/1999. But that time
period is before the Tech/Tech Plus split!

On the other hand it does not appear possible to determine the actual number
of truly new licenses from the data base as far as I can tell at this time.
You can select "Grant date" but that gives you all newly issued licenses and
updated licenses (i.e. renewals, adress changes, etc).

I think FCC makes that info available another way, because the AH0A site
carries a "new license" category. But it's based on current data, not historic
stuff.

Perhaps the best indicator is to watch how the total number of each license
class, and the combined Tech/Techplus total, rise and fall. For instance,
notice how slowly (percentagewise) the number of Advanceds is dropping,
compared to how fast the number of Novices is dropping. The number of Tech
Pluses is dropping fast too, but that's aided by the fact that FCC is renewing
all Tech Pluses as Techs.

73 de Jim, N2EY