RadioBanter

-   -   ARS License Numbers (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/26575-re-ars-license-numbers.html)

N2EY September 3rd 03 12:19 AM

These are the number of unexpired FCC ARS
licenses held by individuals on the dates listed:

As of May 14, 2000:

Novice - 49,329
Tech - 205,394
Tech Plus - 128,860
General - 112,677
Advanced - 99,782
Extra - 78,750
Total - 674,792

As of September 1, 2003:

Novice - 33,156 (decrease of 16,173)
Technician - 257,830 (increase of 52,436)
Technician Plus - 65,928 (decrease of 62,932)
General - 141,402 (increase of 28,725)
Advanced - 82,931 (decrease of 16,851)
Extra - 104,512 (increase of 25,762)
Total - 685,759 (increase of 10,967)

73 de Jim, N2EY

Mike Coslo September 3rd 03 02:23 AM

Dwight Stewart wrote:
"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote:

I'm glad to see that a good time is being had
by all. Have a safe and happy Labour Day week
end, Dwight!

Are you kidding? I busted my tail this last weekend. In addition to moving
to a new apartment (and cleaning the old one), I sold an old computer, spent
days shopping for a new computer, took my wife's car to the shop (had to get
it running well enough to do that), and more. At this point, I darn glad
this last weekend is over. I still have a ton to do, but it can be spaced
out enough to get a break occasionally.

I know what you mean. I have such a huge list of to-dos during the
summer that I have come to hate summer and most of the holidays.

In addition, I have an Alaska body thermostat. So I've learned to love
the winter.

Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL September 3rd 03 03:22 AM

(N2EY) wrote in news:20030902191946.00545.00000362@mb-
m02.aol.com:

As of September 1, 2003:

Novice - 33,156 (decrease of 16,173)
Technician - 257,830 (increase of 52,436)
Technician Plus - 65,928 (decrease of 62,932)
General - 141,402 (increase of 28,725)
Advanced - 82,931 (decrease of 16,851)
Extra - 104,512 (increase of 25,762)
Total - 685,759 (increase of 10,967)

73 de Jim, N2EY

Some of those aren't REAL Generals, or Extra's. The number of true
Generals and Extra's is actually less than the numbers shown.

Why is there never a Wouff Hong around when you really need one?
KB7ADL

Dwight Stewart September 3rd 03 07:02 AM

"Mike Coslo" wrote:

I know what you mean. I have such a huge list
of to-dos during the summer that I have come
to hate summer and most of the holidays.

In addition, I have an Alaska body thermostat.
So I've learned to love the winter.

Please, lets not talk about the weather. This is the south - the place
with months of hot, steamy, days. And this last weekend was certainly no
exception. I prefer cooler weather also. I can get ten times the amount of
work done and not suffer nearly as much.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Kim W5TIT September 3rd 03 12:14 PM

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
.. .
"Dick Carroll;" wrote:

Dwight you've obviously forever been devoid
of a clue, and if this statement doesn't prove
it nothing ever could. But it's far beyond
obvious anyway.

Well, Dick, since you're such an expert, why don't you explain what you
think I've missed? The only clue I get from the above is that you're again
speaking of things you have no idea about.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

heh heh heh. Asking Dick to answer an honest question with facts is like
getting Bill Clinton to .... uh, well, never mind.

Kim W5TIT

Dwight Stewart September 4th 03 07:35 AM

"Dick Carroll;" wrote:

You said to Larry, in part-

you've spent the last several years trying
to sexualize Kim's callsign....

So you presume that Kim didn't sexualize it
when she chose it???

Yep. Truly clueless, that's our boy Dwight.

Well, no kidding. I thought Kim's part in all this was pretty obvious to
anyone with even a partial clue (which seems to rule you out). Instead, I
was talking to Larry about his part in this - the years he's spent trying to
sexualize Kim's callsign. Few others have made such an issue out of Kim's
callsign. And that has drawn more attention to that callsign than perhaps
anything else, even Kim's use of it.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Dwight Stewart September 4th 03 07:45 AM

"Kim W5TIT" wrote:

heh heh heh. Asking Dick to answer an honest
question with facts is like getting Bill
Clinton to .... uh, well, never mind.

Well, I'm not going to be too hard on Dick. He missed the fact that I was
talking about what Larry had done, not what others had done. Without that
understanding, it is easy to see how he could become even more confused.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Kim W5TIT September 4th 03 12:19 PM

"Dick Carroll;" wrote:

You said to Larry, in part-

you've spent the last several years trying
to sexualize Kim's callsign....

So you presume that Kim didn't sexualize it
when she chose it???

Yep. Truly clueless, that's our boy Dwight.

Well, no kidding. I thought Kim's part in all this was pretty obvious to
anyone with even a partial clue (which seems to rule you out). Instead, I
was talking to Larry about his part in this - the years he's spent trying

sexualize Kim's callsign. Few others have made such an issue out of Kim's
callsign. And that has drawn more attention to that callsign than perhaps
anything else, even Kim's use of it.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Pretty astute of you, Dwight. Since having this callsign I've been on the
air very little.

Kim W5TIT

N2EY September 4th 03 04:27 PM

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message ...
"N2EY" wrote in message
These are the number of unexpired FCC ARS
licenses held by individuals on the dates listed:

As of May 14, 2000:

Novice - 49,329
Tech - 205,394
Tech Plus - 128,860
General - 112,677
Advanced - 99,782
Extra - 78,750
Total - 674,792

As of September 1, 2003:

Novice - 33,156 (decrease of 16,173)
Technician - 257,830 (increase of 52,436)
Technician Plus - 65,928 (decrease of 62,932)
General - 141,402 (increase of 28,725)
Advanced - 82,931 (decrease of 16,851)
Extra - 104,512 (increase of 25,762)
Total - 685,759 (increase of 10,967)

73 de Jim, N2EY

So ... 54.8158101% of US hams will immediately benefit from
dropping the Morse test (Techs/total of all classes, since Novices
already have 5 wpm credit for life.

No, they won't. You are mistaken. Math error!

Both Novices and most (but not all!) code-tested Techs have 5 wpm
credit for life. Check Part 97.

Interesting fact ... I'll have to remember that for my comments. Thanks.

You might want to get your facts right before embarrassing yourself,
Carl.

All Tech Pluses, as well as an unknown number of Techs, already have
credit for all of the code testing now required. The 257,830
Technicians on the books consist of the following:

- Techs who don't have the credit (never passed the test)
- Techs who don't have the credit (passed the test but let the CSCE
expire)
- Techs who have the credit (Tech Pluses who did a post-restructure
renewal)
- Techs who have the credit (valid CSCE)
- Techs who have the credit (Novices who did a post-restructure
upgrade)

Of these, only the first two groups will "benefit". The rest won't.
How many are in each group? You tell us. But remember that for more
than three years all Tech Pluses have been renewed as Techs.

You might want to check your math, too. Even if all 257,830 Techs are
counted as not having code test credit, 257,830/685,759 is
37.5977....%, not the 54+% you posted.

If we take the number of the first two groups as 210,000, (which is
reasonable considering new license issues, renewal and upgrade rates),
the percentage drops to less than 31%.

BIG differences from 54%.

You still want to tell FCC that 54.8158101% of US hams will
immediately benefit from dropping the Morse test? Be my guest.

Now if the number of US hams who are active NCI members is (let's be
generous) 4,000, that's 0.583....%

73 de Jim, N2EY

FISTS #4360

Mike Coslo September 4th 03 06:53 PM

Carl R. Stevenson wrote:

So ... 54.8158101% of US hams will immediately benefit from
dropping the Morse test (Techs/total of all classes, since Novices
already have 5 wpm credit for life.

Interesting fact ... I'll have to remember that for my comments. Thanks.

Don't forget that 300 million or so would benefit if all the
requirements were dropped.

- Mike KB3EIA -