RadioBanter

-   -   ARS License Numbers (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/26575-re-ars-license-numbers.html)

bb February 5th 05 11:34 PM

Caveat Lector wrote:
Oh gee -- the USA ARS License numbers are decreasing about 2% in 5

years

At that rate in 500 years, we will be a dead dodo (Ain't statistics

wundeful
wunderful?)

Yep. The sky is falling according to chicken little.

N2EY February 6th 05 12:57 AM

In article ou7Nd.29092$xt.13666@fed1read07, "Caveat Lector"
writes:

Oh gee -- the USA ARS License numbers are decreasing about 2% in 5 years

Lessee...4,812/699,580.... Actually it's less than 1% loss in a little under 5
years!

At that rate in 500 years, we will be a dead dodo (Ain't statistics wundeful
wunderful?)

Yup. How about this one: If a number decreases 2% every 5 years, it will be
down to just about half the original number in 170 years.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Caveat Lector February 6th 05 05:18 AM

writes:

Oh gee -- the USA ARS License numbers are decreasing about 2% in 5 years

Lessee...4,812/699,580.... Actually it's less than 1% loss in a little
under 5
years!

At that rate in 500 years, we will be a dead dodo (Ain't statistics
wundeful
wunderful?)

Yup. How about this one: If a number decreases 2% every 5 years, it will
be
down to just about half the original number in 170 years.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Gawd we are doomed
--
Caveat Lector (Reader Beware)
Help The New Hams

Caveat Lector February 6th 05 06:35 PM

writes:

Oh gee -- the USA ARS License numbers are decreasing about 2% in 5 years

Lessee...4,812/699,580.... Actually it's less than 1% loss in a little
under 5
years!

At that rate in 500 years, we will be a dead dodo (Ain't statistics
wundeful
wunderful?)

Yup. How about this one: If a number decreases 2% every 5 years, it will
be
down to just about half the original number in 170 years.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Gawd we are doomed

Suggest you young pups and baby boomers start worrying about your Social
Security rather than the demise of Amateur Radio in 170 to 500 years or so
(pick a decline stat)
G Brush Sed SS is Bank A Rupty in 2042 or so

bb February 6th 05 07:45 PM

Caveat Lector wrote:

Suggest you young pups and baby boomers start worrying about your

Social
Security rather than the demise of Amateur Radio in 170 to 500 years

or so
(pick a decline stat)
G Brush Sed SS is Bank A Rupty in 2042 or so

It's just awful, isn't it?

Ask anyone not already on social security where will it be when they
want to retire, and they'll tell you there won't be any left. Common
knowledge.

But some measly president comes along and wants to actually do
something about it and all we hear is how you can't touch social
security. Don't fix sumptin dat ain't broke.

Hi, hi!

Instead of Morse Myths, we should start SS Myths. Where's Aaaron Jones
when you need him?

N2EY February 6th 05 08:01 PM

writes:

Oh gee -- the USA ARS License numbers are decreasing about 2% in 5
years

Lessee...4,812/699,580.... Actually it's less than 1% loss in a little
under 5 years!

At that rate in 500 years, we will be a dead dodo (Ain't statistics
wundeful wunderful?)

Yup. How about this one: If a number decreases 2% every 5 years, it will
be down to just about half the original number in 170 years.

Gawd we are doomed

Yeah!

Suggest you young pups and baby boomers start worrying about your Social
Security rather than the demise of Amateur Radio in 170 to 500 years or so
(pick a decline stat)

I decided a couple decades ago not to depend on SS for retirement. If I get
something from it, great. But I'm not counting on it.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Mike Coslo February 6th 05 08:47 PM

writes:

Oh gee -- the USA ARS License numbers are decreasing about 2% in 5
years

Lessee...4,812/699,580.... Actually it's less than 1% loss in a little
under 5 years!

At that rate in 500 years, we will be a dead dodo (Ain't statistics
wundeful wunderful?)

Yup. How about this one: If a number decreases 2% every 5 years, it will
be down to just about half the original number in 170 years.

Gawd we are doomed

Yeah!

Suggest you young pups and baby boomers start worrying about your Social
Security rather than the demise of Amateur Radio in 170 to 500 years or so
(pick a decline stat)

I decided a couple decades ago not to depend on SS for retirement. If I get
something from it, great. But I'm not counting on it.

SS is not a retirement plan. It is a mistake to count any money from it
a a given.

But I do have a few questions about privatized SS.

What happens if the Stock market tanks the month before your
retirement? Unless there are strong protections, (which will end up a
huge drain on the 'Guvmint) there may be people who suddenly find
themselves poor.

What are the politicians going to raid for extra money?

- Mike KB3EIA -

bb February 6th 05 09:53 PM

writes:

[...]

Must your IRA all be in the market? Retirement investment must include
safer places to park your money.

Look at the Federal retirement system.

Look at your state retirement system.

Look at your teacher's retirement system.

Is is all in the market?

Is it all out of the market?

Or is it a balance of the two?

What are the politicians going to raid for extra money?

- Mike KB3EIA -

They'll start running drugs again. Americans love drugs.

Mike Coslo February 6th 05 11:07 PM

bb wrote:

writes:

[...]

Greed, that potential bad character that we have tapped and used for
good in out semi capitalist system, is an almost irresistible pull on
some people.

I know quite a few people who during the mid to late '90's were so
impressed by the stock market goings on, that they put all or most of
their retirement investments in risky, high yielding investments. A
couple invested exclusively in Tech stocks. Guess how much money they
have today? (answer - not a whole lot) They won't be retiring early *or*
soon.

On the other hand, I was very careful with my retirement investments,
and didn't lose anything. All I did was take a hit in my earning rate.
Until the bubble burst though, Len wasn't the only person that thinks
I'm a dimbulb!

What are the politicians going to raid for extra money?

- Mike KB3EIA -

They'll start running drugs again. Americans love drugs.

HOWL!

- Mike KB3EIA -

N2EY February 7th 05 12:31 AM

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Suggest you young pups and baby boomers start worrying about your Social
Security rather than the demise of Amateur Radio in 170 to 500 years or so

(pick a decline stat)

I decided a couple decades ago not to depend on SS for retirement. If I get
something from it, great. But I'm not counting on it.

SS is not a retirement plan.

Agreed. It's supposed to be a safety net.

It is a mistake to count any money from it a a given.

Agreed!

But I do have a few questions about privatized SS.

What happens if the Stock market tanks the month before your
retirement?

You're in trouble.

Unless there are strong protections, (which will end up a
huge drain on the 'Guvmint) there may be people who suddenly find
themselves poor.

There's a basic rule of investment that return and risk are directly connected.
If you want low risk you have to accept less return. One would think that even
a lackluster student like Shrub would understand that concept, but he once
again proves his basic nature as a forty watt bulb in a hundred watt socket.

What are the politicians going to raid for extra money?

They don't look that far ahead. Heck, they're not even concerned about paying
back the money already borrowed from the SS system.

73 de Jim, N2EY