RadioBanter

-   -   ARS License Numbers (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/26575-re-ars-license-numbers.html)

Steve Robeson K4YZ January 7th 05 05:35 AM

Subject: ARS License Numbers
Date: 1/6/2005 6:00 PM Central Standard Time

Lenof21 wrote:
Take the "grace
period" for example. It should ONLY be included as a separate part

of an
interpretation.

WHY? The license holder isn't prohibited from doing anything

after
midnight of the last day of his/her 10-year-active-license

period...and for two more years into that grace period.

That's simply not true, Len. The holder of an expired FCC amateur radio
license cannot legally operate until the license has been renewed.

This is the second time I've seen you state that mistake here in the
past few days. An expired FCC amateur license carries *no* operating
privleges.

IS there some reason you persist in this obvious error?

I told ya... His Worminess has yet laid his long-tailed ignorance to bare
in a house full of rocking chairs.

There are many, many reasons, all valid, for being unable to renew
prior to the last day of the 10-year period.

Such as?

Death? Coma? Prisoner-of-War (about the ONLY valid reason I can
think of...) ?

FCC allows renewal from 90 days before the expiration date. Renewal can
be done online, or the appropriate forms can be downloaded or ordered
well in advance and the renewal done by mail.

In any event, even if someone cannot renew before the license expires,
they cannot legally operate while in the grace period.

You created an artificial
thing there with your particular interpretation.

Have you read 97.21(b)? It's pretty clear on the subject.

Not to mention the number of times "Enforcement Letters" have been
published in QST from the FCC...Seems Riley & Company have the same
opinion...If your license "expires" on December 31st and you are operating on
January 1st, YOU have a problem!

Come on, Lennie...Suck it it...it ain't that hard to do...Be a man..Own up
to your GLARING error and move on...

73

Steve, K4YZ

[email protected] January 7th 05 06:46 PM

Date: 1/6/2005 6:00 PM Central Standard Time
Lenof21 wrote:

WHY? The license holder isn't prohibited from doing anything
after
midnight of the last day of his/her 10-year-active-license
period...and for two more years into that grace period.

That's simply not true, Len. The holder of an expired FCC amateur

radio
license cannot legally operate until the license has been renewed.

This is the second time I've seen you state that mistake here in the
past few days. An expired FCC amateur license carries *no* operating
privleges.

IS there some reason you persist in this obvious error?

I told ya... His Worminess has yet laid his long-tailed ignorance to

bare
in a house full of rocking chairs.

It's just a mistake, Steve. Len Anderson obviously doesn't understand
97.21(b).

There are many, many reasons, all valid, for being unable to

renew
prior to the last day of the 10-year period.

Such as?

Death? Coma? Prisoner-of-War (about the ONLY valid reason
I can

think of...) ?

Well, someone could be ill, or busy with work, family, volunteer
activities,
travel, moving, natural disaster, military service, etc.

FCC doesn't care. If a ham lets his/her amateur license expire, they
can't legally operate until it is renewed. Such renewal is valid when
it shows up
in the FCC database - you don't have to wait for the paper license to
show
up.

All of this is *extremely basic* regulatory stuff, clearly stated in
97.21(b), not somebody's opinion or interpretation.

FCC allows renewal from 90 days before the expiration date. Renewal

can
be done online, or the appropriate forms can be downloaded or

ordered
well in advance and the renewal done by mail.

In any event, even if someone cannot renew before the license

expires,
they cannot legally operate while in the grace period.

You created an artificial
thing there with your particular interpretation.

Have you read 97.21(b)? It's pretty clear on the subject.

Not to mention the number of times "Enforcement Letters" have been
published in QST from the FCC...Seems Riley & Company have the same
opinion...If your license "expires" on December 31st and you are

operating on
January 1st, YOU have a problem!

Only until it's renewed.

What is most interesting is the fact that someone like
Len, who has told us how the regulations should be
changed for so many years, should be so ignorant of such
a basic rule from Part 97.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Lenof21 January 7th 05 08:31 PM

In article . net, "Grümwîtch
thë Ünflãppåblê" writes:

"Lenof21" wrote in message

: The license holder isn't prohibited from doing anything after
: midnight of the last day of his/her 10-year-active-license period...and
: for two more years into that grace period.
:
Untrue. (Some would say an outright lie) They are certainly prohibited from
operating their amateur radio station without supervision, since they
possess no valid operator license.

Tsk. Ye of little faith. :-)

Now what did I write that was UNTRUE? Hmmm?

"The license holder isn't prohibited from doing anything after
midnight of the last day of his/her 10-year-active-license period."

Was anything written about "operating an amateur radio station?"
No. :-) They could have a valid commercial license and not be
prohibited from using that. Note: A commercial license does not
allow operation IN the amateur bands...just like an amateur license
does NOT allow operation outside of amateur bands.

ALL of Title 47 C.F.R. applies to ALL USA citizens. Yes, that
includes amateur radio licensees. :-) In that you will find that, if
there is a REAL emergency situation, there is NO prohibition
against anyone using any frequency, any mode for help. True.
Ain't gonna be no Raddio Polizei saying "papers please" while
wearting leather topcoats and armbands in a REAL emergency.

Some argumentative amateur word-twister is going to pop in and
shout/holler "this is an amateur radio newsgroup!" Well, if so, why
is all the Chat Room nonsense going on between "regulars" in here
which is NOT about amateur radio? :-)

The rationalizations abound about that. Suddenly anyone with a
ham license can "justify" their Chat Room gabbling because they
once took a small test and got a certificate of "federal authority!"
Somehow I don't think the Chat Room regulars would accept an
FDA official talking about pork production...even though they would
have a real HAM license. :-)

I guess the "only ones who count" in here are the Regulars, the
life-stylers, those who eat-breathe-sleep amateur radio. They are
NEVER wrong. Their words are TRVTH itself, engraved in eternal
marble. Their shall be no discourse with them...of course.

It's a religious thing. Something like "for the League, God, and Country"
(in that order).

"Once a ham, always a ham." [it's like the murine corpse]

Get with the program, Grum.

...or admit you've almost plagiarized Dr. Dobbs' good journal name.

Mike Coslo January 8th 05 12:20 AM

Lenof21 wrote:
In article . net, "Grümwîtch
thë Ünflãppåblê" writes:

"Lenof21" wrote in message

: The license holder isn't prohibited from doing anything after
: midnight of the last day of his/her 10-year-active-license period...and
: for two more years into that grace period.
:
Untrue. (Some would say an outright lie) They are certainly prohibited from
operating their amateur radio station without supervision, since they
possess no valid operator license.

Tsk. Ye of little faith. :-)

Now what did I write that was UNTRUE? Hmmm?

"The license holder isn't prohibited from doing anything after
midnight of the last day of his/her 10-year-active-license period."

Was anything written about "operating an amateur radio station?"
No. :-)

Apparently you said that an amateur with an expired license was given
carte blanche to do *anything* after their license expired.

Maybe that is why so many allowed there licenses to expire. Now they
are not prohibited from doing anything! Kewl!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo January 8th 05 12:54 AM

Lenof21 wrote:

In article . net, "Grümwîtch
thë Ünflãppåblê" writes:

"Lenof21" wrote in message

: The license holder isn't prohibited from doing anything after
: midnight of the last day of his/her 10-year-active-license period...and
: for two more years into that grace period.
:
Untrue. (Some would say an outright lie) They are certainly prohibited from
operating their amateur radio station without supervision, since they
possess no valid operator license.

Tsk. Ye of little faith. :-)

Now what did I write that was UNTRUE? Hmmm?

You wrote in an earlier message:

Lenof21 All licensees are perfectly legal to continue operating in
their grace
Lenof21 period. There is no necessity (nor sense) to eliminate those
in the
Lenof21 grace period from those in the normal 10-year license period from
Lenof21 any class totals.

Then you appear to have modified it to say:

"The license holder isn't prohibited from doing anything after
midnight of the last day of his/her 10-year-active-license period."

Was anything written about "operating an amateur radio station?"
No. :-)

Yes, because you wrote the above mentioned quote in an earlier message

They could have a valid commercial license and not be
prohibited from using that. Note: A commercial license does not
allow operation IN the amateur bands...just like an amateur license
does NOT allow operation outside of amateur bands.

So. They *are* prohibited from operating in the amateur bands. That is
significantly different than "not being prohibited from doing anything"

ALL of Title 47 C.F.R. applies to ALL USA citizens. Yes, that
includes amateur radio licensees. :-) In that you will find that, if
there is a REAL emergency situation, there is NO prohibition
against anyone using any frequency, any mode for help. True.
Ain't gonna be no Raddio Polizei saying "papers please" while
wearting leather topcoats and armbands in a REAL emergency.

Emergency comms is in another ongoing thread. Do you believe that we are
trying to argue that expired licensees can't use any frequencies during
an emergency? I don't recall anyone saying that.

Some argumentative amateur word-twister is going to pop in and
shout/holler "this is an amateur radio newsgroup!" Well, if so, why
is all the Chat Room nonsense going on between "regulars" in here
which is NOT about amateur radio? :-)

Hehe, Word twisting? Commercial licenses and Emergency operations
dictated by an expired license?

The rationalizations abound about that. Suddenly anyone with a
ham license can "justify" their Chat Room gabbling because they
once took a small test and got a certificate of "federal authority!"
Somehow I don't think the Chat Room regulars would accept an
FDA official talking about pork production...even though they would
have a real HAM license. :-)

I guess the "only ones who count" in here are the Regulars, the
life-stylers, those who eat-breathe-sleep amateur radio. They are
NEVER wrong. Their words are TRVTH itself, engraved in eternal
marble. Their shall be no discourse with them...of course.

In that you are incorrect. I don't mind having a good discussion, and
even enjoy a good argument. But I do expect a good argument with proper
give and take. Some times I am wrong, and some times right. But your
case would be better served if you were to simply admit your mistakes
and move on to good debate.

It's a religious thing. Something like "for the League, God, and Country"
(in that order).

"Once a ham, always a ham." [it's like the murine corpse]

Get with the program, Grum.

...or admit you've almost plagiarized Dr. Dobbs' good journal name.

Let's do good discussions with proper give and take. Anything else
risks irrelevancy.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Lenof21 January 8th 05 04:20 AM

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

So. They *are* prohibited from operating in the amateur bands. That is
significantly different than "not being prohibited from doing anything"

Of course it is. However, commercial band users MAY operate
in ham bands which are not allocated exclusively for amateurs. :-)

For that matter, the federal government seldom requires "licensing"
of radio operators, civilian or military, whether in or outside of
amateur bands.

ALL of Title 47 C.F.R. applies to ALL USA citizens. Yes, that
includes amateur radio licensees. :-) In that you will find that, if
there is a REAL emergency situation, there is NO prohibition
against anyone using any frequency, any mode for help. True.
Ain't gonna be no Raddio Polizei saying "papers please" while
wearting leather topcoats and armbands in a REAL emergency.

Emergency comms is in another ongoing thread. Do you believe that we are
trying to argue that expired licensees can't use any frequencies during
an emergency? I don't recall anyone saying that.

So, have the court clerk read back the court transcript. :-)

Don't get your legal briefs in a twist.

Some argumentative amateur word-twister is going to pop in and
shout/holler "this is an amateur radio newsgroup!" Well, if so, why
is all the Chat Room nonsense going on between "regulars" in here
which is NOT about amateur radio? :-)

Hehe, Word twisting? Commercial licenses and Emergency operations
dictated by an expired license?

So, in here, what is different with everyone else? Lots of gabble about
politics, economics, business activities none of the gabblers have been
in, the divinity of morsemanship ability above all other amateur skills.

In that you are incorrect. I don't mind having a good discussion, and
even enjoy a good argument. But I do expect a good argument with proper
give and take.

Not much in public evidence to support your claims. :-)

PCTAs demand capitulation to them by all NCTA. That's been implied
for as long as the League has been around. :-)

Some times I am wrong, and some times right. But your
case would be better served if you were to simply admit your mistakes
and move on to good debate.

When I see "good debate" in here, I'll flag you down, run it up the pole,
prolly take out a billboard.

See...you are falling into the gruff "just capitulate to us PCTA" and
be nice attitude. :-)

Let's do good discussions with proper give and take. Anything else
risks irrelevancy.

Hey...you no like my NCTA tone, have me locked out of the newsgroup.

Don't worry, several others will call me names, usually names in
languages they don't know well. :-)

You ARE moderator, aren't you? Didn't Paul Schleck vacate the job
and make you Chief of Attitude Protocol? :-)

Lenof21 January 8th 05 06:13 AM

In article , Lenof21 writes:

addendum to what was sent prior

In that you are incorrect. I don't mind having a good discussion, and
even enjoy a good argument. But I do expect a good argument with proper
give and take.

Not much in public evidence to support your claims. :-)

PCTAs demand capitulation to them by all NCTA. That's been implied
for as long as the League has been around. :-)

Some times I am wrong, and some times right. But your
case would be better served if you were to simply admit your mistakes
and move on to good debate.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I thought so, too. Noooo,
in here good old KH2D pretty well set that straight for the PCTA side.
Must bin around 8+ years ago... :-)

Much better than the current crop of PCTApparatchiks.

Yourself included, by the way.

What is my "case," counsellor? Is this the Righteous Supreme Court
of Hamdom? Are you serving torts with coffee during recess? Does
the Court Gift Shop sell little souvenirs such as glit-framed pictures
of famous telegraph keys (with their own accent lights)? Maybe they
sell voodoo dolls of hated NCTA complete with complimentary pins?

My "case" seems to vary with whoever thin-skinned is injured the most.
To one I made a burn-in-hell-for-eternity mistake by NOT getting an
extra "out of the box" long ago. Tsk. He thinks that is utter and complete
failure to complete a Life Promise and shows moral turpitude (or something
that smells strongly, maybe like paint thinner).

Another says I can ONLY "show interest in radio" by getting an amateur
radio license FIRST. [no real reason given except he was bereft of any
comback and was trying to wing a reply] Well, that's just too #$%^!!!! bad
since I made that decision back 48 years ago, got a First Phone and
started working in broadcasting, using it. Only one other seems to
have a working time machine for regular trips back there...and before.

When I see "good debate" in here, I'll flag you down, run it up the pole,
prolly take out a billboard.

NO, repeat NO "debate" in here is really possible with anyone not-licensed-
in-any-amateur-service correspondent. That's been proved so many times
over by public example in 8 years, that it shouldn't need any comment.

This forum is EXCLUSIVELY for already-licensed amateurs to talk about
getting INTO amateur radio? Of course. League has all the answers,
just Follow The Law, do like everyone else did, and shuthehellup. Simple.
Morse code testing is The Law. All must Obey the Law.

Nobody EVER should think heretical thoughts about Changing The Law.

Heresy! Blasphemy! [bite thy tongues, irreverent ones]

Tsk. Some of us do think the Law ought to be changed here and there.

Better call the Department of Homeland Security! The future looks
full of tension and anxiety for the Antique Radiotelegraphy Society (ARS).
---

So, no like to work with raw data on U.S. amateur radio statistics?

Afraid to see the trends showing the changing interests in the hobby?

Like for the last dozen years?

Don't worry. JPM will be the savior, showing numbers that ease your
worries, calm your anxieties. He is NEVER wrong. He say so...mebbe.

Meanwhile, rail and rant at all those who don't think quite like you do,
Mike. Obviously we are all "mistaken" and "in error" (for that good old
"plain simple fact'). You will be vindicated. Nothing the NCTA can
possibly be right, can it? [some of us are so nice and obliging that we
deliberately make errors...all to make you satisfied...heheheheheh]

K4YZ January 8th 05 10:38 AM

Lenof21 wrote:
In article , Lenof21 writes:

My "case" seems to vary with whoever thin-skinned is injured the

most.
To one I made a burn-in-hell-for-eternity mistake by NOT getting

an
extra "out of the box" long ago. Tsk. He thinks that is utter

and complete
failure to complete a Life Promise and shows moral turpitude (or

something
that smells strongly, maybe like paint thinner).

You said you would.

The law was changed accordingly.

You have subsequently done nothing but make excuses.

In short, you lied. No big deal. You do it all the time.

Another says I can ONLY "show interest in radio" by getting an

amateur
radio license FIRST.

Another lie.

No one has ever said that. What HAS been said is that you have no
established basis from which to make INFORMED opinons on Amateur Radio
practice and policy since you do NOT have any practical experience as
an Amateur.

[no real reason given except he was bereft of any
comback and was trying to wing a reply]

Yet another blatant lie.

You ahve been given REAMS of reasons. You just choose to ignore
all of them in preference to your own EXCUSES.

Well, that's just too #$%^!!!! bad
since I made that decision back 48 years ago, got a First Phone

and
started working in broadcasting, using it. Only one other seems

have a working time machine for regular trips back there...and

before.

Uh huh.

Lennie, YOU are the ONLY one in this forum who routinely discusses
ANY form of radio communication more than 10 years old.

Those of us who ARE licensed and ARE active in the hobby discuss
current events and future plans.

When I see "good debate" in here, I'll flag you down, run it up

the pole,
prolly take out a billboard.

NO, repeat NO "debate" in here is really possible with anyone

not-licensed-
in-any-amateur-service correspondent. That's been proved so many

times
over by public example in 8 years, that it shouldn't need any

comment.

You're right...It doesn't need any comment. When it comes to YOU,
all "debate" will be in your favor, on subjects YOU want to discuss,
and only within parameters YOU establish.

Sucks to be you.

And you'd be ABLE to enter into more of those discussions IF you
had some experience from which to draw upon.

A tour of duty in postwar Japan in the 50's is NOT "current
events", nor is it even marginally relevent.

This forum is EXCLUSIVELY for already-licensed amateurs to talk

about
getting INTO amateur radio? Of course. League has all the

answers,
just Follow The Law, do like everyone else did, and shuthehellup.

Simple.

Actually, exchange "Lennie" for "League", and you have exactly
summated all of your posts in this forum.

Morse code testing is The Law. All must Obey the Law.

I see...You have a problem with obeying the law. That's obvious,
of course.

Nobody EVER should think heretical thoughts about Changing The

Law.

Not at all...Just have a reasonable reason for changing it. "Just
because everyone else is" is not a reason.

Heresy! Blasphemy! [bite thy tongues, irreverent ones]

Tsk. Some of us do think the Law ought to be changed here and

there.

So do those of us who ARE licensed Amateurs. We've said so
repeatedly. But since YOU disagree with OUR opinions, all we get is
hateful bile and distortions from you.

Better call the Department of Homeland Security! The future

looks
full of tension and anxiety for the Antique Radiotelegraphy

Society (ARS).
---

So, no like to work with raw data on U.S. amateur radio

statistics?

So far, that's what Jim Miccolis HAS been doing. Real people with
real lcienses...Not club, military, RACES or other categories that
don't reflect true numbers of users.

It doesn't take a degree in statistics to follow Jim's numbers.

Afraid to see the trends showing the changing interests in the

hobby?

Like for the last dozen years?

Don't worry. JPM will be the savior, showing numbers that ease

your
worries, calm your anxieties. He is NEVER wrong. He say

so...mebbe.

Meanwhile, rail and rant at all those who don't think quite like

you do,
Mike. Obviously we are all "mistaken" and "in error" (for that

good old
"plain simple fact'). You will be vindicated. Nothing the NCTA

can
possibly be right, can it? [some of us are so nice and obliging

that we
deliberately make errors...all to make you

satisfied...heheheheheh]

So...you admit to making deliberate errors.
Why am I not surprised?

Putz.

Steve, K4YZ

Mike Coslo January 8th 05 04:22 PM

Lenof21 wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

So. They *are* prohibited from operating in the amateur bands. That is
significantly different than "not being prohibited from doing anything"

Of course it is. However, commercial band users MAY operate
in ham bands which are not allocated exclusively for amateurs. :-)

There is a world of difference between that statement and your
statement that Hams were free to operate during the two year period
after their license expires.

For that matter, the federal government seldom requires "licensing"
of radio operators, civilian or military, whether in or outside of
amateur bands.

So what?

ALL of Title 47 C.F.R. applies to ALL USA citizens. Yes, that
includes amateur radio licensees. :-) In that you will find that, if
there is a REAL emergency situation, there is NO prohibition
against anyone using any frequency, any mode for help. True.
Ain't gonna be no Raddio Polizei saying "papers please" while
wearting leather topcoats and armbands in a REAL emergency.

Emergency comms is in another ongoing thread. Do you believe that we are
trying to argue that expired licensees can't use any frequencies during
an emergency? I don't recall anyone saying that.

So, have the court clerk read back the court transcript. :-)

Check, check.... is this microphone on?......OK....

Lenof21 All licensees are perfectly legal to continue operating in their grace
Lenof21 period. There is no necessity (nor sense) to eliminate those in the
Lenof21 grace period from those in the normal 10-year license period from
Lenof21 any class totals.

Don't get your legal briefs in a twist.

Glad you feel that way! 8^)

Some argumentative amateur word-twister is going to pop in and
shout/holler "this is an amateur radio newsgroup!" Well, if so, why
is all the Chat Room nonsense going on between "regulars" in here
which is NOT about amateur radio? :-)

Hehe, Word twisting? Commercial licenses and Emergency operations
dictated by an expired license?

So, in here, what is different with everyone else? Lots of gabble about
politics, economics, business activities none of the gabblers have been
in, the divinity of morsemanship ability above all other amateur skills.

What is different is that there is (or should be) an expectation of the
initial premise being true. It is simply not true that:

Lenof21 All licensees are perfectly legal to continue operating in
Lenof21 their grace period. There is no necessity (nor sense) to
Lenof21 eliminate those in the grace period from those in the normal
Lenof21 10-year license period from any class totals.

You appear to want us to simply allow you to be "right", regardless of
your incorrect statements.

No thanks! 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo January 9th 05 03:27 PM

N2EY wrote:

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Lenof21 wrote:

In article . net,

"Grümwîtch

thë Ünflãppåblê" writes:

"Lenof21" wrote in message

[...]

Do commercial licenses have 10 year terms and 2 year grace periods?

And if so, should you be required to include them in your ARS license
numbers? 8^)

Note: A commercial license does not
allow operation IN the amateur bands...just like an amateur license
does NOT allow operation outside of amateur bands.

In any event, a license holder *is* prohibited from doing something
when the license is in the grace period.

Yes, and that is operation within the privileges of their expired license.

So. They *are* prohibited from operating in the amateur bands. That is
significantly different than "not being prohibited from doing anything"

ALL of Title 47 C.F.R. applies to ALL USA citizens. Yes, that
includes amateur radio licensees. :-) In that you will find that, if
there is a REAL emergency situation, there is NO prohibition
against anyone using any frequency, any mode for help.

Doesn't change the fact that a licensee with a license in the
grace period is prohibited from operating an amateur station
in a non-emergency situation.

I guess the "only ones who count" in here are the Regulars, the
life-stylers, those who eat-breathe-sleep amateur radio. They are
NEVER wrong. Their words are TRVTH itself, engraved in eternal
marble. Their shall be no discourse with them...of course.

In that you are incorrect. I don't mind having a good discussion, and
even enjoy a good argument. But I do expect a good argument with proper
give and take. Some times I am wrong, and some times right. But your
case would be better served if you were to simply admit your mistakes
and move on to good debate.

Agreed. Len made a mistake about 97.21(b), but he seems reluctant to
admit it.

Note that the position he is taking is modifying. I've worked with a few
who do this. They really hate being wrong, but when they are proven
wrong, they slowly modify their stance so that eventually they either
agree with you, or " you just didn't understand" what they were saying
in the first place

Think about *why*

A couple possibilities:

1. He was genuinely wrong. He made an incorrect statement, and is
embarrassed about it. Some people absolutely *hate* being incorrect on
anything.

2. He is making deliberate incorrect statements simply to invoke others
in arguments. This could be an entertainment issue, or perhaps a
loneliness thing.

- Mike KB3EIA -