Old September 25th 03, 02:08 AM
Don Morgan

Default Extra Class Exam

For the extra class exam, do they allow scientific calculators?
If not is the a tan/arctan chart allowed for the rlc phase angle questions?

I took and got the general last year but as I remember it I thought they limited
the test taker to basic function calculators....
Old September 25th 03, 02:43 AM
WA8ULX

For the extra class exam, do they allow scientific calculators?
If not is the a tan/arctan chart allowed for the rlc phase angle questions?

I took and got the general last year but as I remember it I thought they
limited
the test taker to basic function calculators....

Why would you need a Calculator, none of the Questions are that tough
Old September 25th 03, 02:56 AM
Spurious Noise

Call your local VEC and ask:

--
73 From the Spurious Noise ';';;';x":.,";"'

Old September 25th 03, 01:53 PM
WA8ULX

Obviously from an Extra that memorized his way to the top, with
absolutely no understanding of the material.

You know thats not true Brian, wait a minute, your just a No-Code CBplusser who
cant memorize enough answers

Old September 26th 03, 02:43 AM
William Warren

Don Morgan wrote:
For the extra class exam, do they allow scientific calculators?
If not is the a tan/arctan chart allowed for the rlc phase angle questions?

I took and got the general last year but as I remember it I thought they limited
the test taker to basic function calculators....

OM,

You probably won't need a calculator, at least for the reactance
questions. Unless the pool has changed since I took the test, they're
worded in such a way that you can eliminate two answers based on Ohm's
law, and choose from the remaining two just by knowing that capacitance
lags and inductance leads.

Frankly, when I realized this, I was a little TO'd ;-J. I'd studied
reactance and polar/rectangular conversions for weeks in preparation for
the exam.

My advice is to spend more time on directional antenna arrays and
mosfet's; that's where the trick questions are.

HTH.

Bill

--
William Warren
(Filter out the qrm to email me directly)

Old September 26th 03, 03:38 PM
WA8ULX

They're only tough if you try to understand the material,

No there not, there very Basic.

but if
you're just going to memorize the questions and answers, then you're
right.

I wouldnt know anything about that, I still have not even seen a question pool.

You would only need a calculator if you were going to work through a
problem,

You dont need a Calculator, if you know the material. I took the Dumb test
without a calculator and scored 100%. I actually thought the Novice Test I took
years ago was hardier than the EXTRA.

but if you're just going to memorize the questions and
answers, then you're right.

Well thats what most of your Buddies say they do.
Old September 27th 03, 12:27 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Don Morgan" wrote in message
m...
For the extra class exam, do they allow scientific calculators?
If not is the a tan/arctan chart allowed for the rlc phase angle

questions?

I took and got the general last year but as I remember it I thought they

limited
the test taker to basic function calculators....

You can use scientific calculators but you must demonstrate that all
memories are empty and that you have no equations programmed in. It would be
a good idea to take your calculator manual and show them the page that
describes how to erase all memories and equations and then do so right there
so that they can observe.

If could be that in some cases, the VEs are unfamiliar with scientific
calculators so that the only way they can be sure that you have nothing
programmed is to limit it to simple calculators.

However, the test standards set up by the council do allow scientific
calculators.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old September 27th 03, 06:52 AM
Jim Hampton

You must have misread what was said. If you understand what is going on, it
is a no brainer and you don't have to memorize the question/answer books.
I'm not sure what the question is exactly, but roughly one question states:
if you have a 100 ohm pure resistance in series with a 50 ohm capacitive
reactance, how do you express the impedance?

1) 50 + j100
2) 50 - j100
3) 100 + j50
4) 100 - j50

Come on, put any numbers in there. You don't have to figure anything.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
(WA8ULX) wrote in message

For the extra class exam, do they allow scientific calculators?
If not is the a tan/arctan chart allowed for the rlc phase angle

questions?

I took and got the general last year but as I remember it I thought

they
limited
the test taker to basic function calculators....

Why would you need a Calculator, none of the Questions are that tough

They're only tough if you try to understand the material, but if
you're just going to memorize the questions and answers, then you're
right.

You would only need a calculator if you were going to work through a
problem, but if you're just going to memorize the questions and
answers, then you're right.

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).