Old November 3rd 03, 12:02 AM
Twistedhed

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...f&selm=23079-3
CAB2151-7%40storefull-2315.public.lawson.webtv.net

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Article poste via Voila News - http://www.news.voila.fr
Le : Mon Nov 3 01:02:02 2003 depuis l'IP : ac8ede79.ipt.aol.com [VIP 532284301978]
Old November 3rd 03, 01:12 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Randy" wrote in message
.. .

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
ink.net...
And why does this not surprise me? From a licensed ham, that is

supposed
know the rules and regs. I rest my case.

Go ahead and rant and rave....you know you are wrong.

Better yet WWV, go ahead and operate there.

Dan/W4NTI

Dan, you took the bait...hook, line, sinker, and boat.

Say what you want. Nothing with the 'new hams' surprise me anymore.

Dan/W4NTI

Old November 3rd 03, 01:53 AM
Brenda Ann

"jim" wrote in message

actually a good point. if i were to use the freq's the u.s. gov said i can
then what is the problem with slipping +/- 5kc's between 'channels'? is
that freebanding?

The frequencies that the US govt. says you can are those specific
frequencies that constitute the 40 standard CB channels. The distance away
from the center of any channel is tightly regulated, and you can't be more
than 0.005% away from that center (~1.3 KHz), which is actually pretty broad
when compared to say, broadcast AM, which is only allowed a 20 Hz leeway).

better yet, who the hell is the u.s. gov to tell me what is legal or
not?

If you are a US citizen, they are granted that right by the constitution,
and by treaty.

if i were to float out to bermuda and xmit would i be freebanding
there?

You would then be under the jurisdiction of whatever radio authority covers
Bermuda. Aren't they a British colony? The UK Radio Authority is much more
harsh than the FCC.

do our friends to the north and south really care what the fcc
says what americans can/cannot do? not likely....

Actually, yes. The treaties for use of various frequencies are there to
protect all the various countries that are signatories to them. The
Canadians are pretty hard on pirates (though they also have some rules in
place to give greater latitude on some bands than we do). I don't know what
communications law is like in Mexico, but I imagine that they deal with
people operating out of band/off channel too.

Old November 3rd 03, 02:06 AM
Dee D. Flint

"jim" wrote in message

"Twistedhed" wrote in message

Organized, long term freebanders are very aware where they
operate and take great measure to ensure against talking on an amateur f
requency or one that isn't heavily used on the freeband.
If the non-U.S. stations can operate ssb there, why shouldn't I,
especially if I want to have a nice DX contact with one of them?

I've been a so-called "freebander" since the late sixties but rarely for

DX.
The primary reason I talked outside of allotted frequencies was for

privacy
or to contact a specific distant station I wouldn't normally hear on the
allotted band. We used to run Ch. 16 -5khz down and 15A a RC Channel

running
slightly above stock power on 3-4 element directional and easily talk

75-100
miles. I spoke all over the world with better than 1000 confirmed QSL
contacts from a slightly peaked Golden Eagle Mark III/IV running through

a 4
beam element at 60 feet from Central NJ.

actually a good point. if i were to use the freq's the u.s. gov said i can
then what is the problem with slipping +/- 5kc's between 'channels'? is
that freebanding?
better yet, who the hell is the u.s. gov to tell me what is legal or
not? if i were to float out to bermuda and xmit would i be freebanding
there? do our friends to the north and south really care what the fcc
says what americans can/cannot do? not likely....

There are international treaties also that regulate such things. So just
floating out to Bermuda doesn't help.

Old November 3rd 03, 02:33 AM
jim

Brenda Ann wrote:
"jim" wrote in message

actually a good point. if i were to use the freq's the u.s. gov said i can
then what is the problem with slipping +/- 5kc's between 'channels'? is
that freebanding?

The frequencies that the US govt. says you can are those specific
frequencies that constitute the 40 standard CB channels. The distance away
from the center of any channel is tightly regulated, and you can't be more
than 0.005% away from that center (~1.3 KHz), which is actually pretty broad
when compared to say, broadcast AM, which is only allowed a 20 Hz leeway).

that is what the u.s. gov proclaims. my point is they have no say so
outside territorial waters. whether or not the gov abides by itu
standards on this matter is open.

better yet, who the hell is the u.s. gov to tell me what is legal or
not?

If you are a US citizen, they are granted that right by the constitution,
and by treaty.

please point out the constitutional section you mentioned.

if i were to float out to bermuda and xmit would i be freebanding

there?

You would then be under the jurisdiction of whatever radio authority covers
Bermuda. Aren't they a British colony? The UK Radio Authority is much more
harsh than the FCC.

right, the RA is tough. easier to monitor 65+/- million than appr 300
million

do our friends to the north and south really care what the fcc

says what americans can/cannot do? not likely....

Actually, yes. The treaties for use of various frequencies are there to
protect all the various countries that are signatories to them. The
Canadians are pretty hard on pirates (though they also have some rules in
place to give greater latitude on some bands than we do). I don't know what
communications law is like in Mexico, but I imagine that they deal with
people operating out of band/off channel too.

treaties not withstanding have you heard 10 & 11 meters recently? the
developing world is looking for the cheapest way to communicate with
their expatriates (sp?) in the u.s. one way to do it is using a setup
that after an initial outlay for equipment is basically free. their
problem is propagation not the gov.

Old November 3rd 03, 02:35 AM
joseph mcdavid

jim wrote:

wrote:
[...]

just make it worse for every body next thing you know
they'll require a digatal id on all transmitters or they'll be
terrorist and arrested without due process.