Old January 7th 04, 07:55 PM
Mike Coslo

KØHB wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote

Perhaps it would be better if everyone were to just tell you that the
plan was the best thing they ever saw?

A lot of people have told me exactly that, but I'm sure there are some who
share your view that I'm out to lunch. Life's a bitch, and then I'll die
and they'll give my call sign away.

Do you really think I ever said you were out to lunch?. If I disagree
with portions of you plan, that's a big part of why we're here; I've
pointed out what I don't like (and even some parts I thought were
okay).....Wow, I'm a thoroughgoing *******, eh!

Your responses have been belittling and insulting for the most part. If
statements like "lifes a bitch..." and "that's a novel idea" as a
synonym for stupid and definition games are the best supporting
arguments you can make for your proposal, it isn't going to go too far.

Sobeit!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old January 7th 04, 08:01 PM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:
In article k.net, "Dwight
Stewart" writes:

What does Jim's story have to do with license testing?

Simple.

It shows that the FCC has very wide authority to set license test criteria,
including
such concepts as "character" and "discipline". Merely passing the tests is not
the only requirement for a license grant.

Normally the FCC assumes that all applicants for a ham license are "of good
character" unless there is a reason to suspect differently.

I think FCC could indeed legally implement Hans' one-shot learner license with
its upgrade-or-out provision. Their argument would be that someone who was a
ham for 10 years and yet c/wouldn't pass the full-privs test simply didn't have
the required "character" or "discipline" to stay in the ARS.

Hoo, I wonder how that would stand up in the courts! 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old January 8th 04, 12:57 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
hlink.net...
"Steve Robeson, K4CAP" wrote:
And the efforts of REACT and its members are commendable. However, any
public service performed is informal in nature, not the result of any
regulatory stipulation imposed by the FCC or federal government. There is
nothing in part 95 that mandates public service like that found in part

97.

OK, Dwight quote paragraph and section that states that amateurs MUST do
public service.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old January 8th 04, 02:56 AM
N2EY

In article .net, "Dwight
Stewart" writes:

"N2EY" wrote:

It shows that the FCC has very wide
authority to set license test criteria,
including such concepts as
"character" and "discipline". (snip)

Nonsense. It would be virtually impossible to test character or discipline
in a radio license test. The FCC hasn't done it and probably wouldn't ever
attempt to do so.

Point is, FCC has a wide latitude as far as testing and license requirements
goes. You may not like the concept but The Congress does.

Didja know that in 1940 FCC required all US hams to either sign a loyalty oath
or turn in their licenses? While not exactly a "character test", you can bet
that some hams' backgrounds were checked.

Such things seemed far-fetched a few years ago. Not any more.

Nice talking to you, Jim.

You too, Dwight.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old January 8th 04, 11:00 AM
Kim W5TIT

"KØHB" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"N2EY" wrote

What mode are those "foul mouthed yahoos" using? It isn't CW.....

Jim obviously isn't a DX'er, or he'd know about the infamous "pileup

police"
shenanigans regularly heard around 14.023 +/-. I could send you some .wav
files that aren't even fit to air on rrap.

73, de Hans, K0HB

You actually spend time recording it, huh? Wow, I am not so show I would
look forward to retirement.

Kim W5TIT