Old July 4th 04, 08:56 PM
N2EY

In article , "Dee D. Flint"
writes:

People can do FD on their own
or with a club but it may be better NOT to split off as a separate club. We
have some members who do FD on their own in our club or they belong to more
than one club already and do FD with them. But they do not go form yet
another club.

Ah - now I see. Evenutally you have a lot of little clubs, none of which have
critical mass to do anyhting serious.

I think doing different things year to year is good. Our club tried
different antennas this year for example. Next year I and the OM my try
going on our own just for variety simply to see what two people can do.

A lot depends on what goals are defined and resources available. For max
points, it's important to be ready to go on right at 2 PM (1 PM your time?) and
run all through the 24 hours with no breaks. Which usually means starting setup
before Saturday morning and going all night.

OTOH, sometimes FD can be a shakedown for bigger things. Like trying out an
antenna "in the field" before committing all the work needed by a permanent
home installation.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old July 4th 04, 09:05 PM
Dee D. Flint

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Dee D. Flint"
writes:

People can do FD on their own
or with a club but it may be better NOT to split off as a separate club.

We
have some members who do FD on their own in our club or they belong to

more
than one club already and do FD with them. But they do not go form yet
another club.

Ah - now I see. Evenutally you have a lot of little clubs, none of which

have
critical mass to do anyhting serious.

Precisely!

I think doing different things year to year is good. Our club tried
different antennas this year for example. Next year I and the OM my try
going on our own just for variety simply to see what two people can do.

A lot depends on what goals are defined and resources available. For max
points, it's important to be ready to go on right at 2 PM (1 PM your

time?) and
run all through the 24 hours with no breaks. Which usually means starting

setup
before Saturday morning and going all night.

I'm in the Eastern time zone. With just I and the OM running (if we go that
route), we will set our goals so that we will NOT try to run 24 hours.
Neither one of us fairs all that well on lack of sleep.

OTOH, sometimes FD can be a shakedown for bigger things. Like trying out

an
antenna "in the field" before committing all the work needed by a

permanent
home installation.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE