Old June 22nd 04, 08:09 PM
Mike Coslo

Mike Coslo wrote:
Da Shadow wrote:

Hi Mike -- well the FD rules read:

4.1.1. Any Class A group whose entry classification is two or more
transmitters may also operate one additional HF station without
changing its
base entry category, known as the GET ON THE AIR (GOTA) station.

4.1.1.1. This station must operate using a different callsign from the
primary Field Day station.

4.1.1.2. The GOTA station may be operated by Novice, Technicians or
generally inactive hams under their existing operating privileges, or
under
the direction of a Control Operator with appropriate privileges, as
necessary. Non-licensed persons may participate under the direct
supervision
of an appropriate control operator. A list of operators and participants
must be included on the required summary sheet to ARRL HQ.

4.1.1.3. This station may operate on any valid Field Day band and mode. As
per FCC rules, this station must have a valid control operator present if
operating beyond the license privileges of the participant using the
station.

THIS SEZ TO ME WE CAN OPERATE THE VHF BANDS

4.1.1.4. The maximum transmitter output power for the GOTA station
shall be
150 watts. If the primary Field Day group is claiming the QRP multiplier
level of 5, the maximum transmitter output power of the GOTA station
may not
exceed 5 watts.

4.1.1.5. A maximum of 400 QSOs made by this station may be claimed for
credit by its primary Field Day operation. A 100-point bonus may be
claimed
by the primary Field Day operation if the GOTA station reaches the 100 QSO
level.

4.1.1.6. The GOTA station may only operate on the Field Day HF Bands. Only
one transmitted signal is allowed from the GOTA station at any time (see
Field Day rule 4).

THIS SEZ TO ME WE CAN OPERATE ON HF BANDS BUT NOT WARC BANDS

4.1.1.7. The GOTA station does not affect the additional VHF/UHF station
provided for under Field Day rule 4.1.2.

4.1.1.8. Participants are reminded that non-licensed participants working
under the direction of a valid control operator may only communicate with
other W/VE stations or with stations in countries with which the US has
entered a third-party agreement.

4.1.1.9. GOTA stations operate under a single callsign separate from the
callsign of the main group.

4.1.1.10. The GOTA stations does not qualify as an additional transmitter
when determining the number of transmitters eligible for the 100-point
emergency power bonus under rule 7.3.1.

4.1.1.2. The GOTA station may be operated by Novice, Technicians or
generally inactive hams under their existing operating privileges, or
under
the direction of a Control Operator with appropriate privileges, as
necessary. Non-licensed persons may participate under the direct
supervision
of an appropriate control operator. A list of operators and participants
must be included on the required summary sheet to ARRL HQ.

4.1.1.3. This station may operate on any valid Field Day band and mode. As
per FCC rules, this station must have a valid control operator present if
operating beyond the license privileges of the participant using the
station.

So I read that as we can operate VHF no problem.

Your call.

- Mike KB3EIA -

I just got off the phone to the ARRL. The fellow there confirms that
the GOTA station is HF only. No VHF or UHF. If you want to confirm:

860-594-0232

- mike KB3EIA -

Old June 22nd 04, 09:33 PM
Da Shadow

Thanks Mike -- scratch the 6M beam and 2M beam -- Thanks Mike

I called the ARRL and sure enough they sed no VHF for the GOTA station

Glad I posted here and got the ARRL rules figured out

Sincere thanks

--
Lamont Cranston

The Shadow Knows

Old June 22nd 04, 09:51 PM
Mike Coslo

Da Shadow wrote:
Thanks Mike -- scratch the 6M beam and 2M beam -- Thanks Mike

I called the ARRL and sure enough they sed no VHF for the GOTA station

Glad I posted here and got the ARRL rules figured out

Sincere thanks

No problem Lamont - I'm just glad you folks didn't have to throw away a
bunch of QSO's from your score!

- Mike KB3EIA

Old June 22nd 04, 10:26 PM
Len Over 21

In article , "Kim"
writes:

Plans, yes. But not related to Field Day; My husband and I will be
celebrating our 15th Wedding Anniversary with a housewarming and renewal of
vows!

L'chaim! Happy for you, Kim. Many more!

Len Anderson
Old June 23rd 04, 12:26 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Da Shadow" wrote in message
Thanks Mike -- scratch the 6M beam and 2M beam -- Thanks Mike

I called the ARRL and sure enough they sed no VHF for the GOTA station

Glad I posted here and got the ARRL rules figured out

Sincere thanks

You could still set up a separate VHF/UHF station though. Our club often
does and anyone with a Tech license or higher could be a control op of that
station.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old June 23rd 04, 04:22 AM
garigue

Field Day is next weekend. Anybody in the group here have plans?

Ahh it's the time of year when I wake up Monday morning with CW in my head
........ I only do this once a year as I don't really like to put my hand on
an anvil and hit it with 5 lb mallet. But like I always say what ever
floats one's boat. The W3CSL ..Monessen Club will be on the air from the
Mon-Valley YMCA picnic grove. Catch those who are so inclined on the air.

Good luck .. Be safe ...God Bless ...

Tom Popovic KI3R Belle Vernon Pa

Old June 23rd 04, 12:25 PM
AB2RC

On 2004-06-22, Da Shadow wrote:
Wonder if the 20M PSK31 segment will be jam packed and contacts will be
feasible ??
Any PSK31 activity besides 20M for FD ???

This will be our first year trying the digital modes.

Any comments on PSK31 during FD ???

I will be running a GOTA station using my call along with club call W2ZQ
(2A SNJ). The GOTA station will be on 20/40 psk & RTTY, possibly 15 also.

--
Alex / AB2RC
Yaesu FT100 software for Linux http://www.qsl.net/kc2ivl
Old June 23rd 04, 07:43 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Da Shadow" wrote in message
newsIgCc.1555$hX6.593@fed1read01...
[snip]
Am disappointed that the GOTA station can not operate VHF. Would be a

great
opportunity to demonstrate 2M SSB and 6M operation if we had some sporadic

propagation.

But the main stations setup will include a VHF/UHF/Satellite station. ATV
and APRS will demo as well.

Thanks to the group for the help and suggestions.

I suggest putting your VHF etc station close to the GOTA station. That way
people will see it and check it out. People are also intrigued by seeing a
Morse code operator so you might have your overall layout designed to lead
people from station to station.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old June 23rd 04, 08:14 PM
N2EY

Mike Coslo wrote in message ...
Da Shadow wrote:

400 GOTA QSOs seems a bit high considering we will try and teach newbies how
to operate. I think it is more important to tutor folks on HF and the
digital modes than to run the 400 QSOs. Perhaps we can do both.

It is high. The nice thing about the GOTA is that newbies and the
inexperienced can hone their skills without affecting the more seasoned
operators. My first field day was before the days of GOTA, and I knew
very well that I was holding the score down a bit with my slowness. GOTA
removes that. It's a great way to get started or get back in action.

I agree 100% on the purpose of GOTA but I think you guys both
misunderstand this rule:

"4.1.1.5. A maximum of 400 QSOs made by this station may be claimed
for
credit by its primary Field Day operation. A 100-point bonus may be
claimed
by the primary Field Day operation if the GOTA station reaches the 100
QSO
level."

The GOTA station is limited to a *maximum* of 400 QSOs. You cannot
count GOTA QSOs for credit beyond 400.

I think the reason for this rule, and the very loose definition of who
can run the GOTA station, is to keep the GOTA stations busy yet
focused on the truly inexperienced.

If you work *at least* 100 GOTA QSOs, you get 100 additional points
beyond the QSO points themselves.

So the strategy is to work exactly 400 GOTA QSOs. That's less than 17
per hour if you go straight through. 17 per hour is more than 3
minutes per QSO.

The big problem with the GOTA station in a 5F group is interference.
It's bad enough when two stations of different modes try to use the
same band at the same time, but when the GOTA folks show up on the
same band....

Of course there are rigs and techniques that can handle all that RF.
But that's another subject...

73 es GL de Jim, N2EY
Old June 23rd 04, 08:44 PM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote in message ...

Da Shadow wrote:

[...]

Nope, no misunderstanding. I just mean that 400 QSO's is a very high
number to pick up on the GOTA station. I doubt many clubs get there.

The GOTA station is limited to a *maximum* of 400 QSOs. You cannot
count GOTA QSOs for credit beyond 400.

I think the reason for this rule, and the very loose definition of who
can run the GOTA station, is to keep the GOTA stations busy yet
focused on the truly inexperienced.

If you work *at least* 100 GOTA QSOs, you get 100 additional points
beyond the QSO points themselves.

Kerect!

So the strategy is to work exactly 400 GOTA QSOs. That's less than 17
per hour if you go straight through. 17 per hour is more than 3
minutes per QSO.

True, but I'd expect no GOTA stations will be in solid use. I've been
supervising our club GOTA station since the concept started, and at
least our typical day goes similar to a few people here, and a few
there. I think only one person at our station ever went beyond 25 QSO's.
And those QSO's aren't super quick. In addition, there is often an
instructional period, where they learn about the exchange, and pertinent
operating technique, that sort of stuff.

The big problem with the GOTA station in a 5F group is interference.
It's bad enough when two stations of different modes try to use the
same band at the same time, but when the GOTA folks show up on the
same band....

Yup. I would highly suggest a 5F group try to put up a Beverage antenna
as their common receive antenna, and get it as far away as the FD rules
allow 1000 foot circle that all the equipment has to be in. Don't know
if that EOC center will accommodate that or not.

- Mike KB3EIA -