Old June 23rd 04, 08:54 PM
Da Shadow

"N2EY" wrote in message
om...

I agree 100% on the purpose of GOTA but I think you guys both
misunderstand this rule:

NOPE UNDERSTAND THE RULES

"4.1.1.5. A maximum of 400 QSOs made by this station may be claimed
for
credit by its primary Field Day operation. A 100-point bonus may be
claimed
by the primary Field Day operation if the GOTA station reaches the 100
QSO
level."

ROGER

The GOTA station is limited to a *maximum* of 400 QSOs. You cannot
count GOTA QSOs for credit beyond 400.

ROGER

I think the reason for this rule, and the very loose definition of who
can run the GOTA station, is to keep the GOTA stations busy yet
focused on the truly inexperienced.

If you work *at least* 100 GOTA QSOs, you get 100 additional points
beyond the QSO points themselves.

ROGER

So the strategy is to work exactly 400 GOTA QSOs. That's less than 17
per hour if you go straight through. 17 per hour is more than 3
minutes per QSO.

NO PROBLEM FOR AN EXPERIENCED OP -- FOR NEWBIES TIS A SLOW GO
WE HAD A SHEET TO TUTOR HOW TO CALL CQ AND SEARCH AND POUNCE
WE HAD A LIST OF THE ARRL SECTION ABBREVIATIONS __ THESE HELPED
WE HAD 287 QSO's LAST YEAR OVER THE 24 HOUR PERIOD
BANDS MAY BE POOR AT 10M and 15M.

The big problem with the GOTA station in a 5F group is interference.
It's bad enough when two stations of different modes try to use the
same band at the same time, but when the GOTA folks show up on the
same band....

INDEED WE HAD THAT PROBLEM BUT USED FILTERS WHICH HELPED

Of course there are rigs and techniques that can handle all that RF.
But that's another subject...

73 es GL de Jim, N2EY

Lamont Cranston

The Shadow Knows

Old June 23rd 04, 09:05 PM
Dave Heil

N2EY wrote:

The big problem with the GOTA station in a 5F group is interference.
It's bad enough when two stations of different modes try to use the
same band at the same time, but when the GOTA folks show up on the
same band....

Of course there are rigs and techniques that can handle all that RF.
But that's another subject...

The tag team of N8NN and K8MN will participate in the Marshall County
ARES group's effort from Grandview Park, overlooking Moundsville, WV.
Bert and I will make up a CW team, operating one of the five or six
stations. We've already done some scouting of the old driving range
where the group will set up and have found a place a little removed from
the rest of the stations so as to minimize interference to/from them.
It also has a couple of nice trees for use in draping that 200' flattop
fed with open wire line. The call will be W8CAL.

Dave K8MN
Old June 24th 04, 12:57 AM
N2EY

In article , Mike Coslo writes:

N2EY wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote in message ...

Da Shadow wrote:

400 GOTA QSOs seems a bit high considering we will try and teach newbies

how
to operate. I think it is more important to tutor folks on HF and the
digital modes than to run the 400 QSOs. Perhaps we can do both.

It is high. The nice thing about the GOTA is that newbies and the
inexperienced can hone their skills without affecting the more seasoned
operators. My first field day was before the days of GOTA, and I knew
very well that I was holding the score down a bit with my slowness. GOTA
removes that. It's a great way to get started or get back in action.

I agree 100% on the purpose of GOTA but I think you guys both
misunderstand this rule:

"4.1.1.5. A maximum of 400 QSOs made by this station may be claimed
for
credit by its primary Field Day operation. A 100-point bonus may be
claimed
by the primary Field Day operation if the GOTA station reaches the 100
QSO
level."

Nope, no misunderstanding. I just mean that 400 QSO's is a very high
number to pick up on the GOTA station. I doubt many clubs get there.

OK!

The GOTA station is limited to a *maximum* of 400 QSOs. You cannot
count GOTA QSOs for credit beyond 400.

I think the reason for this rule, and the very loose definition of who
can run the GOTA station, is to keep the GOTA stations busy yet
focused on the truly inexperienced.

If you work *at least* 100 GOTA QSOs, you get 100 additional points
beyond the QSO points themselves.

Kerect!

So the strategy is to work exactly 400 GOTA QSOs. That's less than 17
per hour if you go straight through. 17 per hour is more than 3
minutes per QSO.

True, but I'd expect no GOTA stations will be in solid use. I've been
supervising our club GOTA station since the concept started, and at
least our typical day goes similar to a few people here, and a few
there. I think only one person at our station ever went beyond 25 QSO's.
And those QSO's aren't super quick. In addition, there is often an
instructional period, where they learn about the exchange, and pertinent
operating technique, that sort of stuff.

Sure. Point is, though, that by setting the number at 400, we don't have the
problem of having to shut the GOTA station down because the quota has been
reached.

The big problem with the GOTA station in a 5F group is interference.
It's bad enough when two stations of different modes try to use the
same band at the same time, but when the GOTA folks show up on the
same band....

Yup. I would highly suggest a 5F group try to put up a Beverage antenna

as their common receive antenna, and get it as far away as the FD rules
allow 1000 foot circle that all the equipment has to be in. Don't know
if that EOC center will accommodate that or not.

Why a Beverage? It receives well in one direction only, but in most of the USA
you need more than one direction.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old June 24th 04, 01:51 AM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote in message ...

Da Shadow wrote:

[...]

Well true, but in that vein of thought, we might as well not have a
limit at all.

FWIW, I don't mind limits on the GOTA station, mainly because I'm the
control op for our club. I sit with the newbies and hams getting back
into the fold all day, and then after the station closes down, I can
kick in the afterburners on the night shift. I've made good friends
working the overnight. (yeah, us crazies gotta stick together!)

The big problem with the GOTA station in a 5F group is interference.
It's bad enough when two stations of different modes try to use the
same band at the same time, but when the GOTA folks show up on the
same band....

Yup. I would highly suggest a 5F group try to put up a Beverage antenna
as their common receive antenna, and get it as far away as the FD rules
allow 1000 foot circle that all the equipment has to be in. Don't know
if that EOC center will accommodate that or not.

Why a Beverage? It receives well in one direction only, but in most of the USA
you need more than one direction.

When you use a multiple wavelength Beverage the directivity isn't quite
as bad. (or good - depending on what you are trying to achieve) I don't
recall the length of ours, but it was at least 2 wavelengths on 80 meters.

In any event, it quieted the interference between the rigs, and I don't
recall any significant losses to the east of us, since we still heard
the stations in that direction.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old June 24th 04, 02:45 AM
garigue

Well I hope to be participating in our club's Field Day activities but

it's
iffy at this point. It depends on when my doctor schedules my surgery,
which I won't find out until Thursday. If he picks Friday, well there

goes
Field Day weekend.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

The best there Dee .....I'll put a good word in for you tonight ....

God Bless .....

Tom KI3R

Old June 24th 04, 10:39 AM
N2EY

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Sure. Point is, though, that by setting the number at 400, we don't have

the
problem of having to shut the GOTA station down because the quota has been
reached.

Well true, but in that vein of thought, we might as well not have a
limit at all.

If we didn't, it becomes like another station only without being put in the
totals.

FWIW, I don't mind limits on the GOTA station, mainly because I'm the
control op for our club. I sit with the newbies and hams getting back
into the fold all day, and then after the station closes down, I can
kick in the afterburners on the night shift. I've made good friends
working the overnight. (yeah, us crazies gotta stick together!)

Oyez!First time I did that was...1968?

The big problem with the GOTA station in a 5F group is interference.
It's bad enough when two stations of different modes try to use the
same band at the same time, but when the GOTA folks show up on the
same band....

Yup. I would highly suggest a 5F group try to put up a Beverage antenna

as their common receive antenna, and get it as far away as the FD rules
allow 1000 foot circle that all the equipment has to be in. Don't know
if that EOC center will accommodate that or not.

Why a Beverage? It receives well in one direction only, but in most of the
USA you need more than one direction.

When you use a multiple wavelength Beverage the directivity isn't quite

as bad. (or good - depending on what you are trying to achieve) I don't
recall the length of ours, but it was at least 2 wavelengths on 80 meters.

2 wavelenghts on 80 is over 500 feet...

In any event, it quieted the interference between the rigs, and I don't

recall any significant losses to the east of us, since we still heard
the stations in that direction.

Thye physical separation alone may have been the trick.

Seems to me the optimum setup for a multi is to put the stations on the rim of
a circle and the generator in the center. Adjacent stations are on widely
different bands and modes. Antennas are just inside the 1000 foot line.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old June 24th 04, 05:20 PM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Will be running KC8PMX on 50Mhz-450Mhz bands. Decided to run on my own as a
matter of passive resistance to the local club's field day planner. Field
day is supposed to be an emergency preparedness scenario, and there is
nothing close to that from what I see of the plans locally here.

Not sure which classification I will be running yet, but will be using 3
transmitters, on battery power, occasionally charged by a vehicle's
electrical system, but the batteries won't be located in the vehicle. And I
will be operating from our fire department's parking lot of which I am a
member of.

Now, would I be a B, C, or F station, and also, does the number mean persons
or transmitters?? I am thinking if it means number of transmitters, I might
be a 3B, 3C, or 3F possibly..... If it means persons, then I might be a 1B,
1C, or 1F station..... Any suggestions? A little confused with the field
day rules.

Ryan KC8PMX

"Radio Amateur KC2HMZ" wrote in message
news

Field Day is next weekend. Anybody in the group here have plans?

I'll be on the air with the Amateur Radio Association of the
Tonawandas as one of the W2SEX ops. We'll be running four stations
(CW, HF Phone, HF Digital, and VHF/UHF) plus doing SSTV, ATV, and APRS
demo modes, and we may also satellite contacts through SaudiSat I if
it makes a pass at a good time and we fall into its footprint.

Here's hoping we get to work some of you or your clubs' stations over
the weekend. 73 and good luck during Field Day.

Needless to say, I'll be absent from the NG over the weekend.

73 DE John D. Kasupski
Tonawanda, New York, USA
Amateur Radio (KC2HMZ), HF/VHF/UHF Monitoring (KNY2VS)
Member ARATS, ARES, RACES, WUN

Old June 25th 04, 03:12 AM
Brian Kelly

N2EY wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote in message ...

Da Shadow wrote:

[...]

Which is his whole point.

but in most of the USA
you need more than one direction.

A FD listening Beverage is basically a very good idea. Yes, they're
directional but from here on the east coast where Mike is located
beverage patterns can cover most of the country if they're done right.
The big advantage Beverages bring to the game is very high
front-to-back ratios. I suspect that what he's talking about here is
stringing a Beverage generally west of the transmiting antennas thus
reducing the levels of the recieved energies of the harmonics (and
other assorted crud) from the other FD stations operating on the lower
bands. IF the near end of the Beverage is some significant distance
from the transmitting antennas in terms of wavelength.

The problem I see with Mike's plan is that a one thousand foot
Beverage on, say 15M, is gonna have a pattern like a pencil and would
be basically useless because of it's very narrow beamwidth. A more
better idea might be optimized Beverages per band, compromise designs
between beamwith and length.

In the end isn't it a bit late in the game for this discussion . . ?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old June 25th 04, 03:17 AM
Brian Kelly

Dave Heil wrote in message ...

[...]