Old April 3rd 05, 03:53 AM
bb

Phil Kane wrote:
On 24 Mar 2005 02:30:36 -0800, K4YZ wrote:

Amateur Radio to Have Role in Largest-Ever Mass Casualty Exercise

[balanced snipped]

Yup - it's real - and nationwide. I get to sit in the local
hospital's EOC passing traffic on ham channels for two - count 'em

-
two shifts during this one. They won't even let me see the scripts
until I get there, too.....

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Phil, why do you have to pull a double-shift?

Old April 4th 05, 01:02 AM
bb

bb wrote:
Phil Kane wrote:
On 24 Mar 2005 02:30:36 -0800, K4YZ wrote:

Amateur Radio to Have Role in Largest-Ever Mass Casualty Exercise

[balanced snipped]

Yup - it's real - and nationwide. I get to sit in the local
hospital's EOC passing traffic on ham channels for two - count

'em
-
two shifts during this one. They won't even let me see the

scripts
until I get there, too.....

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Phil, why do you have to pull a double-shift?

I would guess that you have to pull two shifts because there are not
enough amateur volunteers.

Old April 4th 05, 05:10 AM
Phil Kane

On 3 Apr 2005 17:02:14 -0700, bb wrote:

Phil, why do you have to pull a double-shift?

It's a two-day exercise, and I can make it both days.

I would guess that you have to pull two shifts because there are not
enough amateur volunteers.

Actually, we have six operators qualified for that location, and we
work in teams of three (county voice net, inter-hospital voice net,
county-wide packet net) so we'll have plenty of operators. I didn't
duck fast enough so I got designated as "assistant station manager" -
that and two bucks will get me a cup of bad coffee that I don't
drink anyhow.....but they do feed us if we hang around long enough.
ggg

We did get called out today for an AMTRAK derailment because the ER
didn't know how many casualties would be diverted to our hospital.
Fortunately there were none so we stood down after two hours.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Old April 4th 05, 11:38 PM
bb

Phil Kane wrote:
On 3 Apr 2005 17:02:14 -0700, bb wrote:

Phil, why do you have to pull a double-shift?

It's a two-day exercise, and I can make it both days.

I would guess that you have to pull two shifts because there are not
enough amateur volunteers.

Actually, we have six operators qualified for that location, and we
work in teams of three (county voice net, inter-hospital voice net,
county-wide packet net) so we'll have plenty of operators.

Now c'mon Phil. I used to write duty schedules, so I know how many
times two teams of three fit into a calendar day. Is this a two-day
ORI?

Old April 5th 05, 02:04 PM
K4YZ

bb wrote:
Phil Kane wrote:
On 3 Apr 2005 17:02:14 -0700, bb wrote:

Phil, why do you have to pull a double-shift?

It's a two-day exercise, and I can make it both days.

I would guess that you have to pull two shifts because there are

not
enough amateur volunteers.

Actually, we have six operators qualified for that location, and

we
work in teams of three (county voice net, inter-hospital voice

net,
county-wide packet net) so we'll have plenty of operators.

Now c'mon Phil. I used to write duty schedules, so I know how many
times two teams of three fit into a calendar day. Is this a two-day
ORI?

Always at a deficit for information, aren't you, Brian?

http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/interap...orial_0588.xml

TOPOFF-3 will be four days. More than ample time for any one
person to pull more than one "shift" during the exercise, depending on
how you're defining "shift".

12 hour shifts: Four (assuming 12 on / 12 off)

8 hour shifts: Six (assuming 8 on / 8 off)

4 hour shifts: Eight (assuming 4 on / 8 off)

Brian...You CAN pull more than two shifts under ONE of those
formats, couldn't you...??? I sure could, and will. CAP is a
participating agency in this.

Steve, K4YZ

Old April 7th 05, 03:43 AM
bb

K4YZ wrote:
bb wrote:
Phil Kane wrote:
[...]

Levy your "attack" on Phil. Phil said it was two days, and that he
would be working both days.

Brian...You CAN pull more than two shifts under ONE of those
formats, couldn't you...??? I sure could, and will. CAP is a
participating agency in this.

Steve, K4YZ

Do provide RRAP an after action report of your heroic CAP activities.

Old April 7th 05, 04:06 AM
K4YZ

bb wrote:
K4YZ wrote:

TOPOFF-3 will be four days. More than ample time for any one
person to pull more than one "shift" during the exercise, depending

on
how you're defining "shift".

12 hour shifts: Four (assuming 12 on / 12 off)

8 hour shifts: Six (assuming 8 on / 8 off)

4 hour shifts: Eight (assuming 4 on / 8 off)

Levy your "attack" on Phil. Phil said it was two days, and that he
would be working both days.

There was no attack. Either on you, nor especially on Phil.

YOU, however, were the one making the comments about how many
shifts he was pulling-vs-qualified operators to do it.

Brian...You CAN pull more than two shifts under ONE of those
formats, couldn't you...??? I sure could, and will. CAP is a
participating agency in this.

Steve, K4YZ

Do provide RRAP an after action report of your heroic CAP activities.

I don't engage in heroics, Brian. By the book...safe and
responsible. That's how I got through my tour in the USMC with my tail
intact, that's how I have spent 30+ years in CAP without injury, and
that's how I practice Nursing.

Now...about your assertion that ARES can't/won't respond to
emergencies...Are you going to provide some validation of that
statement?

Steve, K4YZ

Old April 7th 05, 11:21 PM
Phil Kane

On 4 Apr 2005 15:38:11 -0700, bb wrote:

Actually, we have six operators qualified for that location, and we
work in teams of three (county voice net, inter-hospital voice net,
county-wide packet net) so we'll have plenty of operators.

Now c'mon Phil. I used to write duty schedules, so I know how many
times two teams of three fit into a calendar day. Is this a two-day
ORI?

Not nearly. Our hospitals "play" 8-hour shifts per exercise day,
which works out just nicely. From prior exercises, we find that 4
hours on and four hours off is a no-sweat deal. A lot of it is
sitting around waiting for something to happen. SAC it ain't.

Our portion, we were told last week, was split off into a two-day
state-wide exercise in June. This area doesn't get to play the full
game until TOPOFF-4 which is a couple of years down the road. Maybe
by that time "they" will have ironed out the kinks that this year's
exercise revealed.

No problem - we still get plenty of mini-callouts to deal with, such
as the AMTRAK derailment last Sunday. Our ER didn't know how many
cases would be diverted to us (fortunately the number was zero) so
we were all on standby for two hours.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Old April 8th 05, 03:43 AM
bb

Phil Kane wrote:
[...]

Decent. You're doing good things.

Old April 4th 05, 02:56 PM
K4YZ

bb wrote:
bb wrote:
Phil Kane wrote:
On 24 Mar 2005 02:30:36 -0800, K4YZ wrote:

Amateur Radio to Have Role in Largest-Ever Mass Casualty

Exercise

[balanced snipped]

Yup - it's real - and nationwide. I get to sit in the local
hospital's EOC passing traffic on ham channels for two - count

'em
-
two shifts during this one. They won't even let me see the

scripts
until I get there, too.....

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Phil, why do you have to pull a double-shift?

I would guess that you have to pull two shifts because there are not
enough amateur volunteers.

I guess that presupposes that Phil DOESN'T like volunteering for
those shifts and is somehow being FORCED to do so...

Steve, K4YZ

U.S. Morse Code Solution-Maybe? Dr. Daffodil Swain Policy 67 March 2nd 05 04:48 AM
a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
Israel - government approves bill proposal legalizing Arutz 7 Mike Terry Shortwave 10 January 5th 04 03:10 AM
One World Government: Its Time Has Arrived Keke Goldfeller Shortwave 4 October 11th 03 06:45 PM