Old May 27th 05, 11:30 AM
Sal

Default Dayton...much ado about nothing.

So what is the big deal about Dayton? Is it the Nirvana of Ham Radio?
Paradise Lost?
What one sees, for the most part, is a scurvy collection of goofily clad old
men trailing homemade carts or modified grocery carts behind them as they
drag "for sale" junk behind them.
Forget getting close to the new vendors booths. The Old Farts gather around
the new vendors booths and dawdle for hours on end. No, they won't spend a
penny, but they love to stand in front of the new vendors booths and share
their flatulence with those standing behind them. The only way to get close
to the new vendor booths is to hope that one of the Old Men wets his Relys
and has to head to the bathroom.

Then there is always the Double Dip who comes to the fest with six
handie-talkies on his aleady overburdended 1960's white belt. You have seen
them. Six HT's, three on each side with mics dangling from every angle. It
makes you wonder how the Goons keep their pants up.
And what Dayton Hamfest would not be complete without at least one Goofball
running around the arena with a small beam antenna mounted on his hat? You
have seen the likes. Beam me up, Scotty.

Oh, and let us not ignore the ever present Junk Vendors in the outside
arena. Anybody want to buy a burned out Marine battery? Some ten year old AA
batteries still in the orginal 1995 package?

Dayton is far from the Ham Radio Mecca it once used to be. It has turned
into a Flea Market.

I went to Dayton once. After arriving at 0700 and not being allowed into
the main arena until 11:00 I quickly wrote Dayton off, never to return.

It is not worth the trip.

Old May 27th 05, 07:02 PM
Bert Craig

Sal wrote:
[...]

I dunno, I'd like to make it there one of these days. The event happens
to coincide with our busiest time of the year, so days off (Much less a
week!) are strongly discouraged. I'd love to make it to the Elecraft
booth.

At least my sig made it this year. I worked N8D on 7005 on the last
day. hi

Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI
FISTS #9384/ CC #1736
QRP ARCI #11782

Old May 27th 05, 09:41 PM
Dan

Get some new material.

"Sal" Clone@noEmail wrote in message ...
So what is the big deal about Dayton? Is it the Nirvana of Ham Radio?
Paradise Lost? blah blah blah.....

Old May 27th 05, 10:33 PM
Dee Flint

"Sal" Clone@noEmail wrote in message ...
So what is the big deal about Dayton? Is it the Nirvana of Ham Radio?
Paradise Lost?

It's a place to actually see just about every current radio all set up at
the same time. It's a place to see a plethora of various styles of antennas
set all at one time. I always come back with much new information to
consider in improving my station and my mobile setup.

What one sees, for the most part, is a scurvy collection of goofily clad
old
men trailing homemade carts or modified grocery carts behind them as they
drag "for sale" junk behind them.

There were also a lot of "normal" looking people there.

Forget getting close to the new vendors booths. The Old Farts gather
around
the new vendors booths and dawdle for hours on end. No, they won't spend a
penny, but they love to stand in front of the new vendors booths and share
their flatulence with those standing behind them. The only way to get
close
to the new vendor booths is to hope that one of the Old Men wets his Relys
and has to head to the bathroom.

Had no problem whatsoever getting close to the vendors booths new or old.

Then there is always the Double Dip who comes to the fest with six
handie-talkies on his aleady overburdended 1960's white belt. You have
seen
them. Six HT's, three on each side with mics dangling from every angle. It
makes you wonder how the Goons keep their pants up.
And what Dayton Hamfest would not be complete without at least one
Goofball
running around the arena with a small beam antenna mounted on his hat? You
have seen the likes. Beam me up, Scotty.

So what? It makes them happy.

Oh, and let us not ignore the ever present Junk Vendors in the outside
arena. Anybody want to buy a burned out Marine battery? Some ten year old
AA
batteries still in the orginal 1995 package?

So what? It's also a place to find the unusual that you've been looking
for.

Dayton is far from the Ham Radio Mecca it once used to be. It has turned
into a Flea Market.

So what? If the outside vendors want to pay for the spot, let them.

I went to Dayton once. After arriving at 0700 and not being allowed into
the main arena until 11:00 I quickly wrote Dayton off, never to return.

What did you do wrong? I've never had a problem getting right in at the
opening time.

It is not worth the trip.

Too bad you think so.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old May 27th 05, 10:38 PM
Dee Flint

"Bert Craig" wrote in message
ps.com...

Sal wrote:
[...]

I think you would enjoy it. Just seeing all the gear of the various brands
and models of radios, antennas, etc all in one place at one time is worth it
even if you buy nothing.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old May 28th 05, 08:32 AM
Roger

I think you would enjoy it. Just seeing all the gear of the various brands
and models of radios, antennas, etc all in one place at one time is worth it
even if you buy nothing.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE
[

Well, OK, if you say so.

There still remains that noxious flatulance issue.

Standing in line behind or beside a malordorous individual may suit you, but
not me.

Of course if one is subjected to such for a long enough time, one's
olfactory sensors become numbed to the offensive odors.

I would surmise that you, Dee Dee (oops..you disdain being called Dee Dee)
are of a more fastidious nature in that you bathe regularly.

Would that some of the Dayton attendees do likewise.

Old May 28th 05, 06:54 PM
Apu's Mobil

"Sal" Clone@noEmail wrote in message ...
So what is the big deal about Dayton? Is it the Nirvana of Ham Radio?
Paradise Lost?

....all the above and more

What one sees, for the most part, is a scurvy collection of goofily clad

old
men trailing homemade carts or modified grocery carts behind them as they
drag "for sale" junk behind them.

My favorite is the guys who are breathing heavily while
lugging a cart behind them. The ones who look like their
just 5 more steps from a CVA right there in the flea market.
You'd think these oderiferous bulbous buffoons

[...]

Open Letter to K1MAN [email protected] Policy 13 April 15th 05 07:43 PM
Dayton Dayton Dayton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jane Swap 2 October 8th 04 11:37 PM
Dayton report Mike Coslo Policy 0 May 17th 04 04:03 AM
FS: Lots of Stuff going to Dayton John Goller, k9uwa Boatanchors 0 May 9th 04 05:31 AM
Dayton hamvention's new requirements for 2004 laborkei Swap 0 July 8th 03 03:24 AM