Old June 21st 05, 08:44 PM
Mike Coslo

John Smith wrote:
Michael:

So, your logic goes something like this, "That problem exists in other
places too--we have nothing to worry about."

Quotes even!

I don't recall saying "we have nothing to worry about"

We do, and ham radio is waay down on the list of problems that occur
due to the lack of US citizens going for technical careers. And it isn't
going to be fixed by Ham radio.

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old June 21st 05, 09:01 PM
John Smith

it is proper to quote anything which has been said...

I would think it is obvious it is what I am saying that I am quoting...

I am asking a question, and giving what I hear as the interpretation of
his thinking...

.... you guys just don't get it do you? My whole point is that all you
are about is personal attacks and not about any real discussion--to
which you supply another personal attack as if that doesn't prove my
point.... get a clue.... you constantly demonstrate that you are
self-serving and into attacking any person who presents any part of the
problem--since you benefit from the existing problem...

John

Old June 21st 05, 09:02 PM
Mike Coslo

John Smith wrote:
Jim:

I just took it for granted that everyone experienced life a lot like me.
Remember when your were 21? And how back then 50 year old people looked
like they had one foot in the grave? How 60 year old people looked as
if they were preserved in formaldehyde? And, were just about as
interesting to chat with as window drapes?

Aha! John, you have an age thing going on here. When I was a young 'un
I did indeed notice that my elders looked different than me. They looked
bigger than me too. But other than that, it was no big deal. And they
definitely were not uninteresting. My Grandfather got me started in
electronics, giving me old car radios, power supplies, and showing me
how to fix them. Great memories, that. Not a trace of the dreary picture
you paint of older people.

A bad path to go on, John. Lord willing and the crick don't rise, you
will be ancient some day. I hear despite the drawbacks, it sure beats
the alternative.

Now that you are old--suddenly you got blind?

I am 55 and people even 65 are about as interesting as rocks--there is
that kind of difference which occurred in the 60's and has been
occurring ever since.

You must be either pre-judging these older folk, or hanging out with
the wrong crowd! ;^)

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old June 21st 05, 09:49 PM
Mike Coslo

John Smith wrote:
it is proper to quote anything which has been said...

That was nothing I ever said. Is quoting things I never said proper?

I would think it is obvious it is what I am saying that I am quoting...

That isn't how quotes work. I don't quote myself, save when I look up
something I wrote or said earlier.

I am asking a question, and giving what I hear as the interpretation of
his thinking...

No need for interpretation needed, as far as I can see.

... you guys just don't get it do you? My whole point is that all you
are about is personal attacks and not about any real discussion--to
which you supply another personal attack as if that doesn't prove my
point.... get a clue.... you constantly demonstrate that you are
self-serving and into attacking any person who presents any part of the
problem--since you benefit from the existing problem...

What personal attack, John Smith?

If you interpret my responses as a personal attack, then what on earth
are *your* missives?

But if that is how ya are, okay. I can quite botherin' ya.

- Mike KB3EIA -

John

Old June 21st 05, 10:08 PM
Jim Hampton

"Michael Coslo" wrote in message

John Smith wrote:

I suppose everyone has something to say...

We are experiencing a time in our history where people are living a lot
longer than they ever used to--and in better health.

This is causing a problem in how to get them moved aside so younger and
more capable minds can grab the reins. However, those grizzled old
hands hands have a death-grip while the buggy heads for the cliff...

John, you are showing signs of being an ageist.

A person's ability to do a job is not specifically related to their
age. That is an old paradigm.

In fact, in the technical fields, there is a dramatic lack of young
Americans.

So if the geezers have that "death grip" on the reins removed, there
likely won't be anyone to take it up.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Hello, Mike

There is a dearth of young folks in technical fields as the religious right
has no (perceived) need for them.

Our engineering is now done in India and manufacturing in China. I've had
two small appliances now that failed in 6 months or less. The "warrantee"
is you send them the bad unit and they give you a replacement - and half
price. So, they simply sold another unit.

Meanwhile, I note we are quite a bit down the line in life expectancy. We
have a much higher incidence of infant death than many others.

I'm tired of hearing how great we are. We are leaving a rather poor legacy
to the young folks.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old June 21st 05, 10:16 PM
Jim Hampton

"John Smith" wrote in message
Jim:

I just took it for granted that everyone experienced life a lot like me.
Remember when your were 21? And how back then 50 year old people looked
like they had one foot in the grave? How 60 year old people looked as
if they were preserved in formaldehyde? And, were just about as
interesting to chat with as window drapes?

Now that you are old--suddenly you got blind?

I am 55 and people even 65 are about as interesting as rocks--there is
that kind of difference which occurred in the 60's and has been
occurring ever since...

Get real--the only reason some old geezer type will have a younger woman
on his arm is for the money....

You can extrapolate on that to figure out how it applies here at amateur
radio...

John

Hello, John

Even worse is an old guy hanging out with kids. Did you see where that guy
is suspected of many 10s of thousands of cases of abuse?

Nah, gimme a few acres in the Northwest with a lake or stream nearby and a
fishing pole.

I fear that this country has expanded beyond its' capability of supporting
its' own population (or, rather, will shortly). We consume 1/4 of the
world's oil output whilst the administration continues tax breaks for SUVs
over 3 tons. To heck with the cost of gas; cut welfare, Medicare, Medicaid,
education, social security, the VA ....

Just make sure the very wealthy continue to pay *less* percentage than folks
making 80 to 100 grand per year.

I'd give it a few more years before many morons will understand what has
been happening. Then there will be a revolution at the polls.

Unfortunately, if another party wins by too high a margin, they may also
feel they can play loose and free (as the Republicans currently are doing).

What we need are some moderates. Very hard to find.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old June 21st 05, 10:30 PM
Jim Hampton

"John Smith" wrote in message
N2EY:

Well, it is quite obvious it is NOT as it was when I was younger--you
are correct--back then there were real men/women who knew how to
interact with youngsters and improve the hobby--and give a welcome and
"hand-up" to the newbie's.

Now, today, you see an example of the problem right here. The older
generation has not learned how to gain the caliber, stature and wisdom
of those who gave them a hand up. This new bunch is a "good ole boys"
club with a closed door policy. They are a self-serving bunch of
self-centered "small men/women." Long as they can rag chew and rant
their personal issues, likes, wants, etc they will go to their doom--it
is just up to thinking minds to make sure they don't carry the hobby to
doom with them...

They lack sorely when gauged against the those of yesteryear...
hopefully those who will now take the reins will learn from these
lessons and be able to correct this blight which has descended on this
once great hobby...

John

Hello, John

Certainly there are a few curmudgeons, but the hams I know well have been
always willing to help youngsters.

I think the biggest problem we've had is this code/no code argument that
never seems to die.

Myself, I wouldn't mind a retest for everyone rather than a free pass every
10 years. That might be an interesting "equalizer".

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old June 21st 05, 10:40 PM
John Smith

Mike:

Let me break this to you gently, what you have to say is just not
important in the whole scheme of things--a year from now we will see
what we all feel as whole--after debate and argument...

I didn't come here for you to teach me english--rant on if you
must--just know it is ignored...

No, there is little need for interpretation of what you say, it is
obvious:
1) there is no problem
2) even if a problem exists--no reason to worry
3) we need not do anything
4) I (Mike, meaning YOU) am happy, everyone else shut up and go away
5) status quo is all which matters
6) etc, etc, etc

I don't make personal attacks--however, if the truth offends someone, so
be it...

John

Old June 21st 05, 10:45 PM
John Smith

Mike:

You just don't get it, do you... you can hand off the reins in a
dignified method which signifies an intelligent person--or, you can just
grow old and have them yanked from your cold dead fingers--either way
you dream a fools dream if you don't think the world renews itself with
coming generations...

.... all which is changes, either way--is how you are viewed...

John

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
news

Old June 21st 05, 10:47 PM
John Smith

Jim:

Well for gawds sake... I would trust NO ONE without supervision around
children--not even MOTHERS or CPS WORKERS!!!...

.... we have quite a problem with the women school marms here "boffing"
the young lads in their cars at lunch time on school grounds too--no
reason to stop educating children--but an EXCELLENT reason to imprison
these perverts!!!

John