Old June 29th 05, 01:44 PM
Michael Coslo

Default Question for the Morse code Haters

What is more important:

1. Having a license that allows HF access.

2. Not having to learn Morse code.

IOW, is standing on principle, and refusing to learn Morse code a better
thing than learning it to get the priveliges?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old June 29th 05, 02:12 PM
Dave

"Michael Coslo" wrote in message
What is more important:

1. Having a license that allows HF access.

2. Not having to learn Morse code.

IOW, is standing on principle, and refusing to learn Morse code a better
thing than learning it to get the priveliges?

no, if standing on principle keeps you unlicensed and hence an 'outsider'
when you could easily learn it enough to get a license and then be an
'insider' it is not better. sometimes it is better to bend to the
requirements and gain status so you can work on changes from the inside than
to try to force an organization to relax the requirements and let you in...
and then consider you forever a whiner.

and then again, you don't 'have' to learn morse code. it is purely
voluntary, you actually only get a very small gain in spectrum going from
tech to general. you can 'work the world' on vhf via moon bounce,
satellites, meteor scatter, and other vhf modes. and there is always 11m...
or if you really want to be heard around the world pay a few bucks and use
any of the many 50kw shortwave broadcast stations that are begging for
programming.

Old June 29th 05, 02:45 PM
Cmd Buzz Corey

KØHB wrote:
wrote

I don't believe one bit of it.

Gospel truth!

Learned Morse off the old 6V farm radio (a "cathedral" style Zenith with 5 or 6
bands --- we didn't get REA until I was in high school) at about age 8 or 9.
Wanted to know what all those beeps and boops were about on what turned out to
be the 8 and 12 MC marine bands. Fascinating stuff for a kid thousands of miles
from any ocean.

Ham radio interest came much later, introduced by my roomate as a college
freshman.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Don't believe Zenith ever made a 6V farm 'cathedral' style radio. The
model 250 had four bands, went to 18Mc, but was 110VAC. They made a few
'tombstone' style 6V farm sets with several sw bands.
Old June 29th 05, 02:46 PM
Bill Sohl

Mike,

First let me state again for the record, the issue for myself
and for No Code (test) International is morse code TEST
opposition...not any "hatrid" of hams learning and using morse.

With that clarification, my answer to your question is... IMHO,
if anyone wants HF access, they should learn morse now to get
their General rather than wait for any FCC changes.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK, Director NCI
---------

Old June 29th 05, 02:47 PM
KØHB

"Michael Coslo" wrote

IOW, is standing on principle, and refusing to learn Morse code a better thing
than learning it to get the priveliges?

Mike,

Maybe I'm disqualified from answering the question, not being a "Morse code
Hater", but humor me.

I knew Morse code for several years before I was interested in becoming an
Amateur Radio licensee....

.....but if I hadn't known it I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have gone to the
trouble to learn it just to get an Amateur Radio license.

73, de Hans, K0HB
FISTS # 7419

Old June 29th 05, 04:53 PM
an_old_friend

Michael Coslo wrote:
What is more important:

1. Having a license that allows HF access.

2. Not having to learn Morse code.

YMMV

I do not face that choice at all Itried for years to learn

IOW, is standing on principle, and refusing to learn Morse code a better
thing than learning it to get the priveliges?

Again YMMV I certianly understand those that can easily choose to learn
it are likely better off if they do, esp if they also continue to argue
against code testing

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old June 29th 05, 07:57 PM
Doug McLaren

In article ,
Dave wrote:

| "Michael Coslo" wrote in message
| What is more important:
| and then again, you don't 'have' to learn morse code. it is purely
| voluntary, you actually only get a very small gain in spectrum going from
| tech to general.

Certainly the total bandwidth gained is relatively small (compared to
what techs already have), but the bands you do gain access to are
quite special.

| you can 'work the world' on vhf via moon bounce, satellites, meteor
| scatter, and other vhf modes.

Perhaps, but HF is certainly an easier way of `working the world', and
probably more reliable. And there's probably a lot more people to
talk to.

| and there is always 11m...

You are aware that FCC regulations prohibit talking to somebody on a
CB that's over 250 miles away, right? (Of course, I'm talking about
the US here -- I don't know much about the laws elsewhere.)

Personally, I had a hard time learning morse code, and learned just
enough to barely pass the test. But I did pass, and now I can use the
HF bands. I'd like to learn morse code better -- not so much because
I want to use it, but just because it would be nice to understand CW
when I hear it (like from repeaters IDing themselves) at full speed.
But I've got a lot of things I'd like to learn, so maybe someday.
Maybe not.

--
Doug McLaren, , AD5RH
"$30 for the One True Ring. $10 each additional ring!" -- JRR "Bob" Tolkien
Old June 29th 05, 09:30 PM

Michael Coslo wrote:
What is more important:

1. Having a license that allows HF access.

2. Not having to learn Morse code.

IOW, is standing on principle, and refusing to learn Morse code a better
thing than learning it to get the priveliges?

Waiting for the code test to go away to get HF privs kinda reminds me
of my old uncle who until the day he passed away ten or so years ago
was still waiting for his Pennsylvania Railroad stock go back up and
he'd make a wad.

- Mike KB3EIA -

w3rv

Old June 29th 05, 11:02 PM

K=D8HB wrote:
"Michael Coslo" wrote

IOW, is standing on principle, and refusing to learn Morse code a bette=

r thing
than learning it to get the priveliges?

Mike,

Maybe I'm disqualified from answering the question, not being a "Morse co=

de
Hater", but humor me.

I knew Morse code for several years before I was interested in becoming an
Amateur Radio licensee....

....but if I hadn't known it I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have gone to=

the
trouble to learn it just to get an Amateur Radio license.

Knock it off Chief ya bloddy TROLL, I don't believe one bit of it.

73, de Hans, K0HB
FISTS # 7419

w3rv