Old July 13th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Default If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

Bill Turner wrote in
:

Old July 14th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
It's totaly untrue. The Californian's radio operator ignored the
Titanic's distress signals because the Titanic was a Marconi ship and
the Californian was a Telefunken ship.

If the History Channel got it right, the Californian's CW
operator was asleep by the time the Titanic hit the iceberg.
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old July 14th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Slow Code wrote:
With an attitude like that it probably won't. Better keep a microphone
handy.

Actually, what I keep handy is food and water.
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old July 14th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
news
Al Klein wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
If CW had not existed at the time, how would things have
turned out differently? If the present GPS-based system
had existed at the time, how would things have turned out?

Since The radio operator of the Titanic knew exactly where they were,
GPS would have made absolutely no difference. If radio hadn't
existed, everyone aboard would have died.

I'm talking about the emergency GPS-based system now in
operation. Other ships are automatically notified of
emergencies and given headings for reaching the emergency
location. If the Titanic and California had been so equipped,
the California could probably have gotten there before the
Titanic sank. The GPS-based emergency system doesn't go to
sleep like the California's CW operator did. I believe the
California also ignored a flare from the Titanic thinking
it was just part of the maiden voyage celebration.

If radio had not existed, the next passing ship would have
rescued any survivors. That's the way it was for centuries
before the invention of radio. There were often survivors
in lifeboats waiting to be picked up in the shipping lanes.
Well-equipped lifeboats could survive for weeks in calm
waters as did the ejected sailors of "Bounty" fame.

The men put off the Bounty did not survive with ease but only through very
hard work and the superb seamanship and leadership of Captain Bligh.
Although he was an absolute ass while in command of the Bounty, but his
performance was superb during that time.

And life boats floating in the shipping lanes could capsize in rough weather
or drift out of the shipping lanes. We will never know how many people died
at sea in such boats after surviving the loss of the ship.

The various technological improvements, including radio, have been important
in improving the survival odds.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old July 14th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Dirk wrote:

Ham's care more about operating appliances than knowing how to save a

lives.

:-(

troll-o-meter (digital version)
0*****1*****2*****3*****4*****5*****6*****7*****8* ****9*****

ah ****. we have a troll!

Old July 14th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 13:06:29 GMT, Cecil Moore
wrote:

I'm talking about the emergency GPS-based system now in
operation. Other ships are automatically notified of
emergencies and given headings for reaching the emergency
location. If the Titanic and California had been so equipped,
the California could probably have gotten there before the
Titanic sank. The GPS-based emergency system doesn't go to
sleep like the California's CW operator did.

Oh, you mean he didn't hear the automatic annunciator they had in use
in those days? Mechanical and clunky, but it worked.

The only thing the GPS-based system does is give you an exact location
- it doesn't notify anyone of anything. Plain old radio does that,
the same as it did back then.

If radio had not existed, the next passing ship would have
rescued any survivors. That's the way it was for centuries
before the invention of radio.

The way it usually was in the centuries before radio (just ask the
crew of the Nuestra Senora de Atocha) was that when the ship sank the
people on her died. (The Atocha's crew were all hardened sailors, yet
only 3 crew members - out of 265 people aboard - clung to the wreckage
long enough to be rescued.)

There were often survivors
in lifeboats waiting to be picked up in the shipping lanes.
Well-equipped lifeboats could survive for weeks in calm
waters as did the ejected sailors of "Bounty" fame.

1) There weren't enough lifeboats in the Titanic.
2) They weren't "equipped".
3) The crew of the bounty were sailors used to pulling oars for hours
at a time. The passengers of the Titanic - those who were allowed to
get to the lifeboats - were pampered women and children, not used to,
or able to, row a heavy wooden lifeboat anywhere.
4) People who are wet and in their night clothes - most of those who
made it to the lifeboats - don't survive very long in sub-Arctic
climes.

But it's nice to reminisce about what happened, even if it never did.
Old July 14th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 23:00:20 GMT, Cecil Moore
wrote:

If the History Channel got it right

That would be an historic first.
Old July 14th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 14:15:26 GMT, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Al Klein wrote:
The only thing the GPS-based system does is give you an exact location
- it doesn't notify anyone of anything.

"EPIRB - Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons, or EPIRBs,
are used when a ship is in distress, to emit a radio signal
marking the ship's location."

GPS systems are receivers. Transmitters that use GPS-derived data
aren't GPS-based systems, they're transmitter-based systems. No
transmitter, no notification. No GPS, notification is a little less
accurate, that's all.

If radio had not existed, the next passing ship would have
rescued any survivors.

The way it usually was in the centuries before radio (just ask the
crew of the Nuestra Senora de Atocha) was that when the ship sank the
people on her died. (The Atocha's crew were all hardened sailors, yet
only 3 crew members - out of 265 people aboard - clung to the wreckage
long enough to be rescued.)

Yes, that's what I said. Passing ships rescue survivors.

Or, in this case, ships that were part of the same flotilla (they
didn't have to have any luck in being in the area) only managed to
rescue about 1% of the survivors. If they had waited for "passing
ships", their grandchildren would have been too old for rescue. Most
shipwreck survivors who are rescued aren't rescued by ships that just
happen to be passing, they're rescued by ships that knew about the
wreck and responded. (Before radio, most shipwreck survivors weren't
rescued.)
Old July 14th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Al Klein wrote:
Transmitters that use GPS-derived data aren't GPS-based systems, ...

Huh???? Can you prove that assertion? :-)

Most
shipwreck survivors who are rescued aren't rescued by ships that just
happen to be passing, they're rescued by ships that knew about the
wreck and responded. (Before radio, most shipwreck survivors weren't
rescued.)

All that is true. If one was away from the shipping lanes,
one was SOL or USCWAP. However, if one was in the shipping
lanes with a flare, one at least had a chance of being
rescued. According to my nephew, one of our ancestors was
rescued in such a manner. Presumably, if that had not
happened, neither he nor I would exist.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old July 15th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 20:38:39 GMT, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Al Klein wrote:
Transmitters that use GPS-derived data aren't GPS-based systems, ...

Huh???? Can you prove that assertion? :-)

The notification systems are radio-based. Notification isn't made by
GPS. We had radio-based notification systems long before we had the
GPS.

If one was away from the shipping lanes,
one was SOL or USCWAP. However, if one was in the shipping
lanes with a flare, one at least had a chance of being
rescued.

Once flares had been invented. We've been sailing the seas for at
least 4,000 years, over 3,500 of them without radios, flares or other
means of communications to ships or land installations we couldn't
already see.