Old July 20th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Default If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

Dirk wrote:

Ham's care more about operating appliances than knowing how to save a lives.

:-(

This ham know CPR.

I wonder how many a retired old-timer who decided to join ham radio
stroked out instead while doing speed runs trying to get to 13/20wpm on
CW?

CW kills.

Old July 21st 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

Default Morse Code -plus- Continuous Wave (CW) Radio Transmission -and- Semaphore Signals ? Do They Defining Amateur Radio ?

Cecil Moore wrote in
.net:

Slow Code wrote:
SWL's should learn CW too.
You never know when you might stumple across a station in distress
sending an SOS and you might be the only one that hears it and can get
help.

SWL's normally listen to AM stations.
How would they hear a CW station?

Many SWL's are Ute listeners. They are the ones most likely to stumble
across an SOS.

Just like a person isn't a real ham unless they've passed a code test, a
shortwave listener isn't a real SWL unless their receiver has a BFO.

(SWL's who listen to shortwave with antique receivers are exempt.)

SC

Old July 21st 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.shortwave

Dee Flint wrote:
"Cecil Moore" wrote:
I can copy CW, but I cannot copy CW when the receiver
is in AM mode and there's no CW tone. I'm glad you're
that good but I am not.

I am not good at code but I can do it. You just listen to the rhythm.

How does a deaf person do that?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old July 21st 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.shortwave

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
.com...
Dee Flint wrote:
"Cecil Moore" wrote:
I can copy CW, but I cannot copy CW when the receiver
is in AM mode and there's no CW tone. I'm glad you're
that good but I am not.

I am not good at code but I can do it. You just listen to the rhythm.

How does a deaf person do that?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Using a series of flashes of light OR vibrations...........

Old July 21st 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.shortwave

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 23:31:02 GMT, Cecil Moore
wrote:

How does a deaf person do that?

How does a blind person read the computer screen?

Old July 21st 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

How does a deaf person do that?

How does a blind person read the computer screen?

he does not

which of course has nothing to do with the matter at hand somethat
would easy to sow were to have the slightest intelectual hoestly but no
you hacked evverything away

Old July 21st 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.shortwave

Al Klein wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
How does a deaf person do that?

How does a blind person read the computer screen?

I'm not yet blind but I, like my father, am going deaf.
I couldn't hear a CW signal without a BFO if my life
depended upon it. I can't hear most of the CW signals
even with a BFO.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old July 21st 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.shortwave

"an_old_friend" wrote in
ups.com:

wrote:

How does a deaf person do that?

How does a blind person read the computer screen?

he does not

which of course has nothing to do with the matter at hand somethat
would easy to sow were to have the slightest intelectual hoestly but no
you hacked evverything away

You friggen lost it. There's no way you could have passed the written,
let alone CW.

May the lord bless and grant us peace from the mental illness that traps
you by pulling the plug on your internet.

Old July 22nd 06, 11:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

an old friend wrote:
wrote:
Dirk wrote:
Ham's care more about operating appliances than knowing how to save a lives.

:-(

Many ham are American Red Cross first aid and adult CPR instructors.

That trumps CW at any speed.

lol thank you for that

I guess saving lives is saving lives only when it uses CW. Those
firemen are way out of their league when compared to this bunch.