Old July 19th 06, 12:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

Default Morris Code -plus- Continuous Wave (CW) Radio Transmission -and-Semaphore Signals ? Do They Defining Amateur Radio ?

David G. Nagel wrote:
Actually the Code that Sam developed is completely unlike the code we
use on radio. What is tested for is the "International Morse Code"
Sam's code was click based and radio is beep based.

Sam's original equipment used ink and scrolling paper to
record the dots and dashes because he didn't think an
ordinary human being could distinguish between the sound
of the dots and the sound of the dashes. He was wrong.
Human operators quickly discovered that they could distinguish
the difference between the down clicks and up clicks and
therefore distinguish the dots from the dashes.

It is true that Sam's "American" Morse was different from
"International" Morse in about a dozen characters but both
used dots and dashes. Still, more characters were alike
than were different.

The term "lid" may have originated from newbie Morse operators
laying a lid on top of the relay receiver to make it easier to
distinguish the dots from the dashes.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old July 19th 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

Cecil Moore wrote:
David G. Nagel wrote:
Actually the Code that Sam developed is completely unlike the code we
use on radio. What is tested for is the "International Morse Code"
Sam's code was click based and radio is beep based.

Sam's original equipment used ink and scrolling paper to
record the dots and dashes because he didn't think an
ordinary human being could distinguish between the sound
of the dots and the sound of the dashes. He was wrong.
Human operators quickly discovered that they could distinguish
the difference between the down clicks and up clicks and
therefore distinguish the dots from the dashes.

oridinary humans HMM is it realy proven that ordinary human can do it
by ear Cecil or merely proven that enough to man the telagraphs of the
day could do so?

Old July 19th 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

an old friend wrote:
oridinary humans HMM is it realy proven that ordinary human can do it
by ear Cecil or merely proven that enough to man the telagraphs of the
day could do so?

Please note that I didn't say ordinary human beings could read
telegraph code. All I said was that ordinary human beings could
distinguish between the sound of a dot and the sound of a dash.

I think that's a pretty safe assumption with "ordinary" in the
sense of an average human possessing average hearing abilities.
I would bet that a dog could even be trained to distinguish a
dot from a dash.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old July 19th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

Cecil Moore wrote:
an old friend wrote:
oridinary humans HMM is it realy proven that ordinary human can do it
by ear Cecil or merely proven that enough to man the telagraphs of the
day could do so?

Please note that I didn't say ordinary human beings could read
telegraph code. All I said was that ordinary human beings could
distinguish between the sound of a dot and the sound of a dash.

I think that's a pretty safe assumption with "ordinary" in the
sense of an average human possessing average hearing abilities.
I would bet that a dog could even be trained to distinguish a
dot from a dash.

I stand corrected although the inclation was that ordinary people could
read the code itself but the poit is made I think
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old August 3rd 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

The term "lid" may have originated from newbie Morse operators
laying a lid on top of the relay receiver to make it easier to
distinguish the dots from the dashes.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

My mother told me stories of learning morse code this way when she worked
for the railroad. She then taught me morse code this way. For twenty yeasrs
after that I always wanted to be a ham and finally got m ylicense at about
age 35. I was fairly active for about 8 years and pretty much lost interest
when my daughter was born. In the last couple of years I have been
sporatially interested again but their alaways seems to be little projects
and interest that pull me away from it.

When I first went to work at tmy present job almost every tech that worked
there was a ham. Just about all of them retired within a few years and nnd
only a couple are still active on the ham bands. They pretty much all say
that they just dont have time for it anymore. This is where ham radio is
going, It is losing out to living.

I havent gotten totally out of it yet and am occasionally involed. Usually
working on an antenna project thinking I will become active again. I have
been asked to assist some girl scouts in getting badges but I am having a
lot of trouble finding scouts that are interested although the requirements
are very minimal

Old August 4th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

"Jimmie D" wrote in
:

[...]

Yes. That's understandable. Hams these days don't want to act like hams,
they like to be appliance operators. So kids don't see that CW is
important and fun. All they see is hams gabbing on a microphone like any
CB'er can do.

SC
Old August 21st 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

Yes. That's understandable. Hams these days don't want to act like hams,
they like to be appliance operators. So kids don't see that CW is
important and fun. All they see is hams gabbing on a microphone like any
CB'er can do.

SC

Actually a lot of tghe boy scouts know morse code, they still arent
intersted in ham radio.

Old August 22nd 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

"Jimmie D" wrote in
:

Yes. That's understandable. Hams these days don't want to act like
hams, they like to be appliance operators. So kids don't see that CW
is important and fun. All they see is hams gabbing on a microphone
like any CB'er can do.

SC

Actually a lot of tghe boy scouts know morse code, they still arent
intersted in ham radio.

Some old time ham in the area needs to step in and show the scouts how ham
radio and CW can save lives and help communities in emergencies.

Nickle Generals & Extra's have a hard time promoting amateur radio. All
they want to do is promote dumbing it down more. It's no wonder the scouts
aren't interested.

SC
Old August 22nd 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

From: Slow Code on Mon, Aug 21 2006 4:45 pm

"Jimmie D" wrote in
t:

Yes. That's understandable. Hams these days don't want to act like
hams, they like to be appliance operators. So kids don't see that CW
is important and fun. All they see is hams gabbing on a microphone
like any CB'er can do.

SC

Actually a lot of tghe boy scouts know morse code, they still arent
intersted in ham radio.

Some old time ham in the area needs to step in and show the scouts how ham
radio and CW can save lives and help communities in emergencies.

When are you leaving the group to go do that, "Slow?"

Oh, and while you're at it, why don't you inform the group
the date when amateur radio morse code saved ANYONE's life?
Betcha can't do it...

On 7 July 2006 the FCC released its Independent Panel report
on the worst natural disaster to hit the USA, Hurricane
Katrina. You can find it in the Federal Register of that
date. In there you can find an objective report on how much
radio amateurs helped their communities.

BTW, Comments on that Report are due on or before 21 August
2006...today. Have you sent in your Comment, "Slow?" No?

Nickle Generals & Extra's have a hard time promoting amateur radio. All
they want to do is promote dumbing it down more.

Tsk, if anyone was doing "dumbing it down more," they'd have
to outdo your own retrograde, freeze-it-in-YOUR-youth ham
radio, "Slow." Feel proud. You are practically a one-ham
show on dumbing down the service...

It's no wonder the scouts aren't interested.

Tsk, you should have recited your own tale of saving the
Titanic...when you were asleep on the US California...

Old August 22nd 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

Some old time ham in the area needs to step in and show the scouts
how ham
radio and CW can save lives and help communities in emergencies.

=====================================

In these days of mobile telephones, etc., morse code just gets in the
way of emergencies.

But there's nothing to prevent people who appreciate and love the
language of Morse, the way it sings, its universality, its beauty,
from continuing to use it way into the future.

It is the beauty of Morse, in plain English, never mind the
abbreviations, which boy scouts and others who show an interest should
be taught to appreciate.
----
Reg, G4FGQ