Old December 7th 06, 06:20 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Default Questions about scanners........

First I have to admit that i am ignorant, having said that, lol....My
gf would like a scanner, her dad is on the fire department, and they
recently switched over to 800 mhz. So now all I hear are the tones and
then assignment of fireground. My question is, what kind of scanner do
I need to buy for her to be able to hear the conversations on the 800
Mhz freq. is a conventional scanner with 800 Mhz ok, or do i need
trunking? or digital? I have absolutely no idea. please advise =o)

Old December 7th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

First I have to admit that i am ignorant, having said that, lol....My
gf would like a scanner, her dad is on the fire department, and they
recently switched over to 800 mhz. So now all I hear are the tones and
then assignment of fireground. My question is, what kind of scanner do
I need to buy for her to be able to hear the conversations on the 800
Mhz freq. is a conventional scanner with 800 Mhz ok, or do i need
trunking? or digital? I have absolutely no idea. please advise =o)

You would need to supply the city or county fire dept that your gf's dad
works for before someone could give you an answer. Most likely it's a trunk
type system.

Dave

Old December 7th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Dave Ferguson wrote:
First I have to admit that i am ignorant, having said that, lol....My
gf would like a scanner, her dad is on the fire department, and they
recently switched over to 800 mhz. So now all I hear are the tones and
then assignment of fireground. My question is, what kind of scanner do
I need to buy for her to be able to hear the conversations on the 800
Mhz freq. is a conventional scanner with 800 Mhz ok, or do i need
trunking? or digital? I have absolutely no idea. please advise =o)

You would need to supply the city or county fire dept that your gf's dad
works for before someone could give you an answer. Most likely it's a trunk
type system.

Dave

he works for the Forest Township Fire Dept, which is located in Genesee
County, Michigan

Old December 7th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"joemama023" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dave Ferguson wrote:
[...]

It appears that Fire Dispatch is on 154.145 then are switched to 800 mHz
when enroute and on scene.
Go to this website for actual frequencies:
http://www.radioreference.com/module...e=RR&ctid=1251
A scanner that can receive 800mhz would be fine if this is all you want to
do. You may want to check around other counties or state agencies to see
whether you need a trunking or digital scanner.

Dave

Old December 7th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

ink.net...

Dave Ferguson wrote:
[...]

Diving into this a little deeper I found this:
All Genesee County police and fire departments, except Flint City, are on
the MPSCS. This also includes all Sheriff's Department operations, MSP,
F.A.N.G., Parks & Recreation, Bishop International Airport Authority and
Animal Control.

This is a Project 25 system which means it's digital. It says they are
simulcasting the 154.145 freq for fire dispatch. It's probably a matter of
time before the Forest Twp is on this system. You would more than likely
need a digtal scanner in the future.

Old December 7th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

joemama023 wrote:
First I have to admit that i am ignorant, having said that, lol....My
gf would like a scanner, her dad is on the fire department, and they
recently switched over to 800 mhz. So now all I hear are the tones and
then assignment of fireground. My question is, what kind of scanner do
I need to buy for her to be able to hear the conversations on the 800
Mhz freq. is a conventional scanner with 800 Mhz ok, or do i need
trunking? or digital? I have absolutely no idea. please advise =o)

First, you gotta find out if the district/department you gf's dad is in
is transmitting a digital signal or just conventional 800 MHz trunking.

If you go to the following link and do a search, all the freq's as well
as the mode of transmission will be available to you. Then you can
decide which scanner, base or handheld, trunking and/or digital. If it's
a digital signal, be prepared to invest $450 +/- for a scanner. You can
buy them new, or "previously owned".

www.radioreference.com
Old December 8th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Joaquin Tall wrote:
joemama023 wrote:
[...]

So, I went and looked at the link, and it does say that all of genesee
county is on a "project 25 standard" this means I would need a digital
scanner? or just a trunking? As dave said, dispatch is simulcast on
154.145 that is because they are still using the 'old' fire pagers. I
am sorry for all the questions, but like I said I am ignorant when it
comes to radio freqs and such. I pasted the frequency information
below, I just want to be sure before I make the investment that I get
what I need. Even though forest twp is not on the list I am sure that
they are using the same countywide system since they assign
'fireground'. Thanks again for all of your help.

DEC HEX Mode Display Description
2402 962 D 25F911 Central 9-1-1 Fire - Dispatch (Simulcasted on
154.145 MHz)
2403 963 D 25FG2 Countywide Fireground 2
2404 964 D 25FG3 Countywide Fireground 3
2405 965 D 25FG4 Countywide Fireground 4
2406 966 D 25FG5 Countywide Fireground 5
2407 967 D 25FG6 Countywide Fireground 6
2408 968 D 25FG7 Countywide Fireground 7
2409 969 D 25FG8 Countywide Fireground 8
2410 96a D 25FG9 Countywide Fireground 9
2411 96b D 25FG10 Countywide Fireground 10
2426 97a D 25COD1 Coordinators 1
2427 97b D 25COD2 Coordinators 2
2466 9a2 D 25F21 Atlas Twp. Fire - Proprietary
2467 9a3 D 25F22 Beecher Metropolitan District Fire -
Proprietary
2468 9a4 D 25F23 Burton City Fire - Proprietary
2469 9a5 D 25F24 Clio Area Fire Authority - Proprietary
2470 9a6 D 25F25 Davison Area Fire Authority - Proprietary
2471 9a7 D 25F26 Flushing City Fire - Proprietary
2472 9a8 D 25F27 Flint Twp. Fire - Proprietary
2473 9a9 D 25F29 Genesee Twp. Fire - Station 1: Proprietary
2474 9aa D 25F31 Genesee Twp. Fire - Station 2: Proprietary
2475 9ab D 25F32 Grand Blanc Fire - Proprietary
2476 9ac D 25F34 Linden City Fire - Proprietary
2477 9ad D 25F35 Montrose Twp. Fire - Proprietary
2480 9b0 D 25F38 Mundy Twp. Fire - Proprietary
2482 9b2 D 25F41 Swartz Creek Area Fire - Proprietary
2486 9b6 D 25F47 Argentine Twp. Fire - Proprietary
2487 9b7 D 25F48 Fenton Twp. Fire - Proprietary
2488 9b8 D 25F49 Gaines Township Fire Department - Propietary

Old December 8th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

So, I went and looked at the link, and it does say that all of genesee
county is on a "project 25 standard" this means I would need a digital
scanner? or just a trunking? As dave said, dispatch is simulcast on
154.145 that is because they are still using the 'old' fire pagers. I
am sorry for all the questions, but like I said I am ignorant when it
comes to radio freqs and such. I pasted the frequency information
below, I just want to be sure before I make the investment that I get
what I need. Even though forest twp is not on the list I am sure that
they are using the same countywide system since they assign
'fireground'. Thanks again for all of your help.

If it were me I would get a digital scanner from either Radioshack or
Uniden. If you get an analog one it would probably be obsolete within a
year or two. The "D" under mode indicates digital.
Dave

Old December 10th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Dear Mr. Ferguson:

Almost all of Genesee County public-safety has made, or will make, a
transition to the State 800 MHz digital system (with the major exception of
the City of Flint, which still uses their VHF system). Uniden makes a
handheld and a "base" radio for the purpose. I have been using the handheld
for a year with good results listening to the Shiawassee system, which
re-sends most of Genesee transmissions, as I am on the west side of the
county.

Expect to pay close to $500 for a radio that will allow monitoring the
state system.

Regards, Mac

Old December 11th 06, 05:45 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

I'd like to personally thank all of you for your input, though I don't
know if my current budget will allow the extra $300 or not.

thanks again
Chris

Dave Ferguson wrote:

he works for the Forest Township Fire Dept, which is located in Genesee
County, Michigan

The FAQ (Well, Question 1, at least) Airy R.Bean Homebrew 20 February 22nd 05 07:04 PM
The FAQ (Well, Question 1, at least) Airy R.Bean General 20 February 22nd 05 07:04 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
Are scanners legal in Manitoba? A few questions... Baran Scanner 0 August 5th 03 12:38 AM