Old January 23rd 04, 10:19 PM
john wilson

I have 6 Scantennas tower mounted at 125 ft. They are pre-amped with the
RS VHF/UHF TV mast mounted amp. They work great for a broad banded antenna
from 25-800 mhz. The performance in the 406-420 mhz. range is not as good as
the other frequency ranges, but it is ok. I highly
recommend them. I use RG-6 coax cable for a feedline. I have been using
Scantennas for over 15 years. I have tried many different antenna
configurations, to include custom made yagis, etc., and the Scantenna always
outperformed the others. The Scantennas are somewhat directional. They are
ugly to look at but they do the job. I consistently hear a NOAA broadcast on
162.525 mhz. from State College, Pa. State College, Pa. is approximately 225
air miles north of my central Va. location. I have dedicated
scanners/receivers for different frequency ranges of monitoring interest.
Grove Enterprises sells the Scantenna.

sogs wrote:

Thanks for the info. I enjoyed your article. I noticed you use a
Scantenna. How do you like it? Any pluses or minuses you could give
me?

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 20:42:20 -0400, GeorgeF
wrote:

sogs wrote:
Why wouldn't I want to do this?
I would like to purchase an amplifier for my scanner antenna. I saw a
cable tv amplifier with 10db gain for the frequencies 10 - 900 mhz.
Why wouldn't this work; or would it?
Remove the "123" in my address to reply by email!

It will work, if you go he
http://www.milaircomms.com/antenna_m...amplifier.html you'll see an
article I wrote about my experiences about using a TV amp. In the
article I used an Antenna mounted amp.

I've also used a wideband amp for receiving Military Satellites in the
260 MHz range. You can see this at:
http://www.milaircomms.com/shack.html just scroll down until you see my
Handheld and homemade 5 element Yagi.

In short if you do it rigth it will work wonders. If you add it and
start picking up FM Overload and Intermod you might want to invest in
some filters. Depending on what I want to hear and the direction I aim
my beam I will have some problems. However once I insert my Hi Pass
Stridsberg Filter 99% of my problems go away. The HiPass filter I'm
using will block signals below 225 MHz. Since 99% of my listening is
MilAir this is perfect.

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com

Remove the "123" in my address to reply by email!

Old January 24th 04, 11:06 PM
Steve Stone

My biggest problem with TV preamps, mast mounted or not is local overload
from poorly attended to paging transmitters.

I could null them out with a directional antenna but I sure would loose alot
of listening fun from my west.

Many years ago I took a Pro-34 on board a flight to Memphis (had permission
from the crew to use it). Once we got a few thousand feet in the air the
scanner was unusable. Just too much of a good thing and too many signals all
over the place.
--

Remove "zz" from e-mail address to direct reply.

"john wilson" wrote in message
[...]

The AKC's guide to whats for auction on Ebay Lancer CB 8 December 4th 04 03:12 AM
Antenna Question Chris CB 0 August 5th 04 06:39 PM
Address the issues, Skippy! Repost #3 Skipp would rather be back in Tahoe CB 5 July 30th 03 07:05 PM
Theroretical antenna question [email protected] Antenna 14 July 19th 03 10:32 AM