Old May 16th 04, 01:33 AM
George Blomfield

On Sat, 15 May 2004 12:03:30 GMT, Dwayne wrote:

In article ,
says...
Just got the Winradio WR-1550e at Dayton Hamvention. It's AWESOME!!!

George

What makes it so awesome? I am getting ready to head down to Dayton when
the weather clears a bit and still dont know what radios to get :/
--

I don't know where to start... :-)

The software strikes you first: It looks and feels really
professionally crafted. Heaps of features, fantastic spectrum
analyzer, etc.

I have just downloaded a few of what they call "XRS plugins" from
http://xrs.winradio.com . Heaps of useful functions - for free.

The performance is excellent. The receiver is very sensitive, and a
fast scanner. The mechanical design is robust and elegant. Clear
concise user's manual, and the beautiful packaging is an absolute
overkill. So far, I got more than I expected. I'd give it 5 stars.

BTW I got myself the optional Advanced Digital Suite too,
it has many different analyzers and decoders, and I got a very good
package deal on it... ;-) It will take me some time to get through
all the functions, so far I tried the Advanced Signal Conditioner
which has heaps of graphically adjustable filters. IMHO this feature
alone is well worth the money, but there are many more...

Hope this helps.

George

PS Cold and rainy at Dayton today. Not much joy in the outdoors flee
market!

Old May 16th 04, 01:49 AM
George Blomfield

Today (Saturday) the weather was no good for the flee market, but
there is still enough to see indoors. I did my usual round around
Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, AOR etc., which kept me entertained for most of
the day. I did not expect to end up spending most of the time at the
Winradio stand as they have some new things, like software-defined
shortwave radios etc., and good bargains on radios and antennas. I
got a deal on the WR-1550e with some optional software, and a very
nice discone antenna.

I did not originally plan to go on Sunday again, but if the weather
clears up I might still go to the flee market.

George

On Sat, 15 May 2004 19:32:51 GMT, "Steven Onines"
wrote:

Hello George, Could you tell us a bit about how you found the Dayton
Hamvention this year? Was it worth going?
TX,

Old May 16th 04, 01:53 AM
George Blomfield

On Sat, 15 May 2004 23:59:51 GMT, Dwayne wrote:

One thing I can never understand
about hamfests is the smell of some of the people. Do these smelly guys
spend all there money on radios and cant afford soap?
--

You do have a point, I saw quite a few really freakish characters
there today. I had to ask myself - do I really belong here? But then I

Old May 16th 04, 06:01 PM
Ken

I bought my PCR1000 new for 300, (that's half of what winradio wants for
1550), a new UT-106 for 125. That's a whole lot cheaper than Winradio. Is
Winradio REALLY That much Better? For the price? I'm not knocking it, just
curious? I've been thinking about buying another radio.

TIA

Old May 17th 04, 04:41 AM
George Blomfield

On Sun, 16 May 2004 17:01:31 GMT, "Ken" wrote:

I bought my PCR1000 new for 300, (that's half of what winradio wants for
1550), a new UT-106 for 125. That's a whole lot cheaper than Winradio. Is
Winradio REALLY That much Better? For the price? I'm not knocking it, just
curious? I've been thinking about buying another radio.

Yes, the 1550 is (IMHO) much better than the PCR, but please don't
take my word for it - try them both (as I did). As to the price
difference, well yes, I would not expect them to be the same price -
it's enough just to look closely at the quality of the mechanical
construction and the reason is already obvious there. Plus there is
more of course. I would not expect to buy a Ferrari for the price of a
Ford, even though a Ford would get me from A to B too - but who would
not prefer to drive a Ferrari... :-)

(That silly analogy might not be so silly after all - the 1550 scans
about 3 times faster than the PCR. And even faster with the Signal
Classifier function which is part of the Advanced Digital Suite...)

George

Old May 18th 04, 01:05 AM
Clay

"George Blomfield" wrote in message
Yes, the 1550 is (IMHO) much better than the PCR, but please don't
take my word for it - try them both (as I did). As to the price
difference, well yes, I would not expect them to be the same price -
it's enough just to look closely at the quality of the mechanical
construction and the reason is already obvious there. Plus there is
more of course. I would not expect to buy a Ferrari for the price of a
Ford, even though a Ford would get me from A to B too - but who would
not prefer to drive a Ferrari... :-)

Yes, I've seen them both, both inside and outside. And I can't imagine what you
mean by 'quality of the mechanical construction' as being such a
differentiation.

Old May 21st 04, 12:23 PM
David Clark

On Tue, 18 May 2004 00:05:16 GMT, "Clay"
wrote:

"George Blomfield" wrote in message
Yes, the 1550 is (IMHO) much better than the PCR, but please don't
take my word for it - try them both (as I did). As to the price
difference, well yes, I would not expect them to be the same price -
it's enough just to look closely at the quality of the mechanical
construction and the reason is already obvious there. Plus there is
more of course. I would not expect to buy a Ferrari for the price of a
Ford, even though a Ford would get me from A to B too - but who would
not prefer to drive a Ferrari... :-)

Yes, I've seen them both, both inside and outside. And I can't imagine what you
mean by 'quality of the mechanical construction' as being such a
differentiation.

Well I can, actually, because I have both. The PCR case is made of
cheap folded sheet metal. When I bought it, it was already slightly
rusty inside. The WR1550e is housed in a beautiful, solidly made,
powder-coated aluminium extrusion. It does show that this manufacturer
has attention to detail.

In any case, I believe George does not make this his sole
differentiation - read his post carefully.

David