Old August 17th 04, 01:31 PM
ScanMan

Default Tampa Area Emergency Radio?

the best local AM emergency broadcast station? FM? I have all SkyWarn and
amateur freqs, police and emergency and most of the major ones, but curious
as to the best local AM emergency broadcast freqs for things such as road
closings, traffic congestions, etc. The Yaesu VX-7R has become my fav radio
for emergency situations - the only thing it won't do is trunk track. As
soon as they come out with a trunk-tracking extended receive quad band
amateur transceiver I am SOLD heh

Thanks -

Old August 17th 04, 03:19 PM
Donald K

ScanMan wrote:

As
soon as they come out with a trunk-tracking extended receive quad band
amateur transceiver I am SOLD heh

Don't hold your breath. Trunking is an anathema to most hams.

-D
--
"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,
see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable
Old August 18th 04, 10:24 AM
Jeff Multer

the best local AM emergency broadcast station?

WFLA / 970 did a good job with hurricane coverage last week, before Charley
came ashore. I can't tell you how good they are with traffic, news and weather
on a normal basis, though.

Interestingly, Clear Channel apparently fed WFLA's audio to some of the other
AM and FM Clear Channel stations in the Tampa area during last Friday.

WFLA uses different directional antenna patterns day and night, but I can't
advise of how well their signal covers the Tampa region or state.

They also webcast, which is what I was listening to last Friday, and the server
connection was very solid throughout the day and evening. The audio level
varied alot, though, and they transitioned between the studio personalities,
location reports and commercials.

Jeff Multer
Fort Mill, S.C.

Old August 18th 04, 01:24 PM
ScanMan

Funny, most hams I know are into trunking big time. But, most hams I know
are only into vhf/uhf comms as well. I suppose your observation would be the
fact for most gen/extra class hams who operate mostly on HF. Haven't heard
too many of them discuss trunking on their nets or elsewhere. Good point
there.

Old August 18th 04, 04:14 PM
Donald K

Um,

Can you define what you mean by "trunking?" Do you mean listening to
monitoring systems that are trunked, or do you mean using trunked ham
radio systems? (I which case I've got a WHOLE BUNCH more questions to
ask...)

I am unaware of any hams using trunking for ham systems. Thus there is
little drive to include trunking features into ham HTs.

-D

Old August 19th 04, 12:13 AM
ScanMan

No, no, no - sorry, let me clarify - talking scanner vhf/uhf trunk tracking
here. Didn't mean to confuse - sorry bout that!

Most vhf/uhf hams I know are into trunk-tracking scanners as well.

Old August 19th 04, 12:40 AM
L.

Hey scan man... contact me direct... Got a ? for ya... remove the No Spam to
reply. I THINK you're the same one I'm looking for. We'll soon find out.
Someone named Scan man was looking for something a while back... I have that
item.

E-mail me.

L.

Old August 19th 04, 03:15 AM
ScanMan

Newp wrong ScanMan guy. I don't look for anything on Usenet, stick mostly to
buying new or ebay, that's about it. Nothing I need at the moment, but
thanks anyway!

.net...

Old August 19th 04, 09:03 AM
L.

You weren't looking for a manual back some time ago within the past year for
a Canadian Radio? I was going to hook you up if it was you. Oh well. Wrong
scan man I guess! Sorry!
L.

"ScanMan" wrote in message
Newp wrong ScanMan guy. I don't look for anything on Usenet, stick mostly

buying new or ebay, that's about it. Nothing I need at the moment, but
thanks anyway!

.net...