Old November 14th 04, 06:35 AM
SYBIL-IZED

Default Newbie question: Regarding programming UNIDEN

A friend has a Uniden scanner ( don't know exactly the model) wants to know
if it can be re-programmed to include trunked frequencies.
Also some police forces are now using frequencies that step and skip(?) so
that they cannot be heard. ( don't know the exact term of this) , but can
the scanner be programmed to receive these type of frequencies anyway ?

Last but not least, Can ALL Uniden scanners be re-programmed using a
computer and is it fairly easy ?

Thanks for all the help.
10-4

--
" My spouse and I divorced over religious differences. She thought
she was God and I didn't."

Old November 15th 04, 08:36 AM
Paul Keenleyside

"SYBIL-IZED" wrote in message
A friend has a Uniden scanner ( don't know exactly the model) wants to know
if it can be re-programmed to include trunked frequencies.
Also some police forces are now using frequencies that step and skip(?) so
that they cannot be heard. ( don't know the exact term of this) , but can
the scanner be programmed to receive these type of frequencies anyway ?

Last but not least, Can ALL Uniden scanners be re-programmed using a
computer and is it fairly easy ?

Thanks for all the help.
10-4

Depends. Newer models of Uniden scanners are for the most part programmable
to receive trunked frequencies. Some
are not trunk capable.

You need to know what trunking system is used in your area as the
programming steps require setting the scanner to receive
the correct system (type and other configuration options).

The BC780XLT is a bit complicated to program correctly. But once set, you're
set. You need the frequencies which need to be set into the correct order
and in the right positioning otherwise the system will not work properly to
receive, and you also need to know the talkgroups for better handling.
Didn't get much co-operation from local scanner enthusiasts (they spent alot
of time on smart ass remarks) so I did it myself and works perfectly.

The BC780XLT is alphanumeric so once the frequencies are set it they can be
labelled.

It's a bit complicated but over time becomes fairly easy, but not
nessesarily less complicated.

Do not mix trunked and ordinary frequenices in the same channel.Use a
channel bank to store trunked frequencies and another for ordinary ones.

The BC245XLT is also programmable. But does not have alphanumeric tags.

Both the BC245 and the BC780XLT can use software if you use a 9 pin serial
cable

The biggest problem is that the trunked frequencies have to be analog
otherwise you need to get a digital capable scanner to handle APCO-25, and
if the police frequencies are on a digital system other than APCO-25, you're
out of luck. Most police
frequencies in the larger cities (but not all of them) are digital so that
the bad guys don't get an idea that Sgt. Wiggum is out
on patrol if if he's not eating donuts and drinking coffee.

10-7

Old November 16th 04, 03:44 AM
Paul Keenleyside

"SYBIL-IZED" wrote in message
Paul, you've been a great help Thanks .
I'll look into what you just pointed out regarding the model .
But do you need a computer and program to re-program the scanner ?

Techncially no. You can do the finger dancing yourself. The main benfit of
the software is

1. You can download the scanner's current configuration and save it in case
something real bad happens
2. Being able to program within the software without feeding into the
scanner, a matrix of scanner configurations.

Suppose you have one configuration for listening to local area
offerings. With the programming you can set another
configuration based on your travel plans:

- perhaps a collection of aviation frequencies for different airports if
you are going from one city to another one.
- perhaps a collection of police frequencies for different districts
that you'll be going through.
- perhaps a collection of railroad frequencies.

Using the software can be said to a wimpy way to set a scanner. I did it
manually after not getting much but smart ass
answers from polite questions from the local scanner group.

You'll need to do a bit reading too. The manuals for scanners are not much
better written than those for computer
products. In Uniden's case, they really should hire someone who can write
and layout a better manual.

The scanner is not dependent on the PC for programming by any means.
Consider it to be like programming the scanner
manually is like driving a standard shift. Programming is like driving an
automatic. But since you drove the manual, you
know how things work simply because you did it yourself without the aid of
the software. Big difference.

The scanner software for the PC is one of those "nice to have" things. I
have a real good programming software for my Radio
Shack Pro-95 (which is far superior and sensitive than Uniden's BC245.Win
95. There's no complement for the BC780XLT other than the offerings from
Butel which is good but find the Win95 for the Pro-95 to be excellent and
very easy to use and no fancy additions such as display (don't need it as
the scanner is closeby and finger reachable anyway). The Pro-95 is what the
BC245 should have been). Had another software program for the BC780XLT, but
it went pffft when my operating system suddenly went pfffft.

By the way. Use http://www.radioreference.com/ to find the trunked matrix in
your area. It's an excellent base to begin with
and there's a whole schmeal of state and provincial isolated forums (most of
the people there will help rather than help themselves improve on their
smart ass answers). You need a log in account to get to the good stuff in
there, but the account
is free. There's a huge amount of junk (good stuff) in there.

I hardly go anywhere without my scanner (either the 780XLT or the Pro-95,
and on some longer trips, even take both).

Only thing missing from my vehicle is a ham radio license in my wallet and
an APRS capable Kenwood model TM-D700A VHF ham radio next to the BC780XLT.

But workin' on those two missing things..

10-7 (73's)

Old November 16th 04, 07:14 AM
SYBIL-IZED

Paul, 10-7 (73's also) and Thanks for the most informative info.
"Paul Keenleyside" wrote in message

"SYBIL-IZED" wrote in message
[...]

Newbie Ham question: Antenna (Diamond X-50) Dave Bushong General 6 November 25th 04 03:23 PM
Uniden BC580 - Question JoeCap393 Scanner 3 July 9th 04 03:01 AM
newbie question, grounding joe Antenna 5 May 9th 04 05:55 PM
Newbie question: intermod Anson Scanner 8 March 22nd 04 10:02 PM
newbie uniden question john Scanner 2 October 14th 03 02:45 AM