Old February 2nd 05, 07:08 AM
Lou

Default Legal Question

Hi Gang,

I know this isn't a "legal" group, but hear me out. We all know - there have
been laws passed in various states as to where scanners are allowed and not
allowed, particularly in motor vehicles - be they Ham operators or not -
unless involved with Police/Fire/EMS (you get the drift). So far as I am
still aware, PA is not included in any such laws. BUT - for the sake of this
question, I'm going to include PA in part of the question.... SO here
goes... and you - where ever you are, can tell me what the laws are in your
area as they may pertain to this subject so as not to drag this out more
than need be - as we know the scanner law question has been beaten down many
times in here in the past.
************************************************** ***********************************
Though states may not allow "Mobile" scanners... do they have in those same
laws or any other laws, any thing that remotely relates to a "hand held"
scanner being carried - ESPECIALLY - on board say - a "Transit" bus? Now, I
know that "transit buses" have signs and perhaps a policy - often loosely
enforced, as to having radios and the like (CD players and such) played so
as not to disturb other passengers. But is there any "LAWS" keeping a person
from carrying a "scanner" on board a bus? Oh, and I'm not referring to any
laws which may cover if a scanner were to be used in the course of a crime
being committed. I'm talking having one - in general.

I had a person tell me just today, a bus operator told them "A scanner was
illegal aboard a bus." The bus in question was in PA (the driver didn't
refer to PA specifically though), and I asked the party if they had
headphones on - they said yes. I know that most if not all the time, IF
headphones are worn, the radio or whatever is not brought into question. I
personally think the driver stepped WAY out of his league of knowledge.

Your thoughts?????

Thanks,

Lou

Old February 2nd 05, 11:19 AM
Brian

YOU NEED TO GET A LIFE

************************************************* ************************************

Old February 2nd 05, 01:16 PM
T-bone

"Lou" wrote in
.verio.net:

[...]

Seems to me that the phrase 'mobile use of a scanner is prohibited' is
pretty self explanitory.

Old February 2nd 05, 02:43 PM
Jaddled Burf-Whummy

Yeah, it's self explanatory, so get a life, like that other guy said ...
r yu stewped?

9.130...

Old February 2nd 05, 04:26 PM
Lou

"T-bone" wrote in message
9.130...
"Lou" wrote in
.verio.net:

Hi Gang,

I know this isn't a "legal" group, but hear me out. We all know - there

Seems to me that the phrase 'mobile use of a scanner is prohibited' is
pretty self explanitory.

Such intelligent answers.... It is NOT self explanatory, as there are
usually exceptions to any law. Get a life? Stewped? WOW, I'm impressed. Such
intelligent answers. How about providing some factual answers. Must be bus
drivers like the one this person ran into. Scanners are sold to be used. So,
tell me, if YOU with the intelligent responses are "truly" scanner users -
were told you weren't allowed to be in possession of your scanners in
certain situations, you would just say "Oh, OK!" and give up? I doubt it.
Thanks for the help thus far. Sure hope you're as fortunate when you need
it.

L.

Old February 2nd 05, 04:40 PM
Alex Clayton

"Lou" wrote in message
[...]

Usenet is a real poor place to ask any kind of legal question. You, as you
have seen, can get all kinds of answers. If you rely on the responses here,
get in trouble with the law, telling some judge you "read it on the net"
will get you nothing.
If the state you are in has laws regarding scanners, I would have to
assume the law is available on line?
As to the Public bus, if you find there is no law against them, the easy
way would seem to be not let the driver know you have a scanner. If the guy
is using headphones who is going to know what he is listening to?
--
The two most abundant things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity.
(not necessarily in that order)

Old February 2nd 05, 04:45 PM
Paul Keenleyside

"Alex Clayton" wrote in message news:so7Md.4179$
Usenet is a real poor place to ask any kind of legal question. You, as you
have seen, can get all kinds of answers. If you rely on the responses
here, get in trouble with the law, telling some judge you "read it on the
net" will get you nothing.

No it won't.

He'll get to see the judge roll his eyes as if saying "how stupid can this
guy be?"

If the state you are in has laws regarding scanners, I would have to
assume the law is available on line?

All statutes are available on line, through the state's gummint website.
Just have to look

As to the Public bus, if you find there is no law against them, the easy
way would seem to be not let the driver know you have a scanner. If the
guy is using headphones who is going to know what he is listening to?

I take mine with my on the rapid transit train with headphones. No trouble
at all. Listen in on transit frequencies.

Old February 2nd 05, 04:51 PM
Lou

"Alex Clayton" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Lou" wrote in message
.verio.net...

Usenet is a real poor place to ask any kind of legal question. You, as you
have seen, can get all kinds of answers. If you rely on the responses
here, get in trouble with the law, telling some judge you "read it on the
net" will get you nothing.
If the state you are in has laws regarding scanners, I would have to
assume the law is available on line?
As to the Public bus, if you find there is no law against them, the easy
way would seem to be not let the driver know you have a scanner. If the
guy is using headphones who is going to know what he is listening to?
--
The two most abundant things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity.
(not necessarily in that order)

I understand and certainly agree that Usenet is not a "legal" authority.
What I was attempting to do, was get a feel for what is out there as to
laws - since it would seem to me the hundreds if not thousands of users
would have by now - tapped into their state laws in interest and may have
weighed in with anything in comparison OR in any instances similar. Maybe
even case history as to challenges. Sorry I asked.........

Old February 2nd 05, 04:54 PM
Lou

"Paul Keenleyside" wrote in message

As to the Public bus, if you find there is no law against them, the easy
way would seem to be not let the driver know you have a scanner. If the
guy is using headphones who is going to know what he is listening to?

I take mine with my on the rapid transit train with headphones. No trouble
at all. Listen in on transit frequencies.

THANK YOU, this is the type of reference I was looking for - to see if
others faced similar situations, hurdles - with regard to using scanners
onboard transit.

Old February 2nd 05, 04:56 PM
Cat

We're not all goody-two-shoes types, in fact, I know of a guy that USED to
post stuff in this NG who was just the opposite, he used scanners to beat
the cops regularly (as do a lot of this NGs regulars to this day, you can
tell who they are because they feel the greatest need to hide behind loud,
strident exclamations of shocked,
"I'm-so-aghast-at-the-idea-of-using-scanners-in-an-unlawful-manner"
As for bus drivers, whoa. I for one am not too fond of some of those
dyed-in-the-wool rodents. The personality disorders of some of these
individuals is pathetic, they should have these retards working in the back
of a warehouse somewhere they NEVER come into contact with the public, never
mind on a public bus where they can brag to each other about how far they
keep people running after the bus before speeding away, and how many old
people they knock down by sudden acceleration/deceleration for no reason
other than an old person is standing up and vulnerable to being pushed over.
My advice to you is, use your scanner wherever and whenever you damn well
want to, and use it for whatever you want to. How are they going to know?