Old February 3rd 05, 01:55 AM
T-bone

"Lou" wrote in
o.verio.net:

I guess those who do not reply on mass transit
could really give a **** less what the rules/laws/policies may be.
Strange. I've seen this issue debated up the ass about airplanes, but
never buses or such.

I suspect theres not a whole lot of scannists who use mass transit much, and
don't scan when they do.
Could be wrong. Here in the Detroit area, there is no mass transit as such.
I'm thinking, barring an occasional crash or wino on the tracks, such
monitoring would be about one step above taco belle drive through monitoring
anyways.

Old February 3rd 05, 02:15 AM
Lou

"T-bone" wrote in message
9.130...
"Lou" wrote in
o.verio.net:

I guess those who do not reply on mass transit
could really give a **** less what the rules/laws/policies may be.
Strange. I've seen this issue debated up the ass about airplanes, but
never buses or such.

I suspect theres not a whole lot of scannists who use mass transit much,
and
don't scan when they do.
Could be wrong. Here in the Detroit area, there is no mass transit as
such.
I'm thinking, barring an occasional crash or wino on the tracks, such
monitoring would be about one step above taco belle drive through
monitoring
anyways.

WOW....... We always learn something new. I would have thought Detroit being
the "busy" place it is to be, would have mass transit. Hmmmm.......

Thanks!

L.

Old February 3rd 05, 04:12 AM
T-bone

"Lou" wrote in
o.verio.net:

"T-bone" wrote in message
[...]

Heck no - Unless you consider plain old busses mass transit.
Maybe thats what your referring to - I always think of subways and
organized trolly systems ala New York, Chicago,SF or New Orleans when I
think of mass transit.
I've been to Philly and Pittsburgh quite a few times, but don't really
recall what they have in the way of mass transit, as I've always had my own
vehicle there.
We do have this goofy little elevated trolly called the 'people mover' in
downtown, but its 100% automated, so I doubt if theres much, if anything,
worth listening to from that.

Old February 3rd 05, 05:07 AM
Lou

"T-bone" wrote in message
9.130...
"Lou" wrote in
o.verio.net:

"T-bone" wrote in message
[...]

Pittsburgh has Mass Transit in the way of all their bus routes, trolleys and
sub way systems. Still working on a Mag Lev of some sort. Magnetic
Levitation - very high speed and supported on a rail above ground - to run a
few miles between two points - unknown if they're planning stops along the
way - though I'd have to think they would! There are some "smaller" systems
around the Pittsburgh area which run people into the city to work and such,
which - believe it or not - are called or at the least - consider themselves
"mass transit". I suppose their claim is supported by the fact that the
buses do carry "masses" of people to locations here and there. I suppose
too, that is open for debate as to whether it really is "Mass Transit".
Everyone has their own way of viewing things.

I think you're probably right about the "People mover". About as exciting as
watching cement harden. If there is any radio excitement there to be had,
chances are it would be in the form of hash of some sort for those who like
that sort of noise.

Lou

Old February 3rd 05, 05:42 AM
T-bone

"Lou" wrote in
o.verio.net:

"T-bone" wrote in message
9.130...
"Lou" wrote in
o.verio.net:

"T-bone" wrote in message
[...]

Hmmm .. Funny the things one misses out on when they're not really looking.
The only transit vehicle I road on in Pittsburgh was them little rail cars
that lug you up to the top of that big old hill near the river.
Quite a nice view from there.
Philly I've walked and drove all over the place, and don't recall seeing
anything mass transit related.

I think you're probably right about the "People mover". About as
exciting as watching cement harden. If there is any radio excitement
there to be had, chances are it would be in the form of hash of some
sort for those who like that sort of noise.

Lou

I would think the only transmissions worthy of possible interest from the
people mover would be from technicians servicing it during its frequent
breakdowns.
"Yeah,Red Fox 2 this is Blue Dog 1 ... I need another 8 inch greased nut, a
reverse flange over-drive bearing, and another box of doughnuts. Over."

Old February 3rd 05, 05:57 AM
Lou

"T-bone" wrote in message
. 130...

Hmmm .. Funny the things one misses out on when they're not really
looking.
The only transit vehicle I road on in Pittsburgh was them little rail cars
that lug you up to the top of that big old hill near the river.
Quite a nice view from there.

Ah yes, the Incline - near Station Square - goes up to Mt. Washington. There
were 2, but I think the other may be down now. Not sure. Don't hear much
about it.

Philly I've walked and drove all over the place, and don't recall seeing
anything mass transit related.

I think you're probably right about the "People mover". About as
exciting as watching cement harden. If there is any radio excitement
there to be had, chances are it would be in the form of hash of some
sort for those who like that sort of noise.

Lou

I would think the only transmissions worthy of possible interest from the
people mover would be from technicians servicing it during its frequent
breakdowns.
"Yeah,Red Fox 2 this is Blue Dog 1 ... I need another 8 inch greased nut,
reverse flange over-drive bearing, and another box of doughnuts. Over."

As I said, as exciting as watching cement harden! But then again, on a dull
night - the cops can even sound that exciting.

L.

Old February 3rd 05, 10:24 PM
Skweezieweezie

I know that it is illegal to use a scanner while driving
a tractor-trailer and other commercial vehicles like
that and I would believe that a bus falls under that
classification. I'm not quite sure if it is a Federal
law. The person I asked has been a long haul OTR
driver for 20+ years.

Old February 10th 05, 01:53 AM

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:59:12 GMT, "T-bone" wrote:

"Lou" wrote in
. to.verio.net:

"T-bone" wrote in message
9.130...

Such intelligent answers.... It is NOT self explanatory, as there are
usually exceptions to any law. Get a life? Stewped? WOW, I'm
impressed. Such intelligent answers. How about providing some factual
answers. Must be bus drivers like the one this person ran into.
Scanners are sold to be used. So, tell me, if YOU with the intelligent
be in possession of your scanners in certain situations, you would
just say "Oh, OK!" and give up? I doubt it. Thanks for the help thus
far. Sure hope you're as fortunate when you need it.

L.

All righty - I'll try to break it down for ya.
Busses are considered a form of mobile transportation so .....
If you use a scanner on a bus, you are using a scanner mobily, which is
prohibited by law.
You can argue technicalities until your blue in the face, but that
won't stop
a judge who goes by the letter of the law from confiscating your
scanner, and
imposing fines.
And yes, the same would apply to a taxi,trolly or train - And even a
bicycle.

Ah, but ya see, in PA there is NO scanner law that I'm aware of -
unless
one is in the works which again, I've not heard of... SO - I'm looking
to see if there are any "transit" issues relating to scanner use onboard
- not counting the fact headphones must be used to prevent disturbing
others. So, that statement doesn't apply to ALL. So, no - you've not
broken anything down. This driver made a statement, I want to see what
others have experienced to either back his claim or put a hole in his
balloon in so far as his claims (not for evidence). I still say he was
off base. Airlines don't allow them. I know that - due to RF issues
mainly. Buses do not have that issue. There are no "Transit" laws that
I'm aware of that prohibits scanner use (even with headphones) which is
what I was asking if others had similar problems - in states with or
without Mobile Scanner laws. I can understand they stop cars/trucks to
check things out. Rarely if ever have I heard of a bus being stopped to
check all "passengers" for such items. Perhaps you can argue the states
with the Mobile Scanning laws, it would apply.. Cool, I can accept that.
But in those with no laws, sorry - it doesn't wash. They have no basis
for which to make such policies.

L.

Well then if mobile use of a scanner is not illegal in PA, your likely in
the clear.
I have no interest in scanning laws in PA.
I'd suggest you call the transit authority to get a definitive answer.

They're the last ones to call for an authorititive answer --
they'll tell you what they want you to do.

While policy does not have the force of law -- as in they
might not be able to have you arrested and tried for it -- they might
be able to deny you the use of the transit facility.

Many places have policies which will not stand up to a legal
challenge. Most obvious is the kind of thing where a drycleaner posts
a sign saying they can sell yor unclaimed garments for coste after
thirty days. In fact, most jurisdictions specify ninety days. If they
sell your stuff before ninety days, you can sue them for the value of
the clothes and prevail. They will point to the sign just to scare you
from making a claim, hence the name "in terrorem" clause.

Old February 10th 05, 02:19 AM
T-bone

"T-bone" wrote in message
9.130...

Such intelligent answers.... It is NOT self explanatory, as there
are usually exceptions to any law. Get a life? Stewped? WOW, I'm
impressed. Such intelligent answers. How about providing some
factual answers. Must be bus drivers like the one this person ran
into. Scanners are sold to be used. So, tell me, if YOU with the
intelligent responses are "truly" scanner users - were told you
weren't allowed to be in possession of your scanners in certain
[...]

Lol Ok - I just now figured out how to make a profit off of my soiled
undies.

Old February 11th 05, 07:43 AM

use your scanner wherever and whenever you damn well want to, and use it
for whatever you want to. How are they going to know?
hmmm... If I modify my AM/FM broadcast band car radio by changing the
frequency by unwinding or winding the coil or however you change
frequencies on the radio, to change the 88 to 108 MHZ to soewhere
between 148 and 160 MHZ, can I sit at MCDonald's with my car windows
open and listen to the Burger King frequencies without geting in
trouble?

It wouldn't really count as a scanner. Just a car radio covering that
frequency.

On the other hand, maybe it would countt as a scanner since it has a
"scan" button on it.

Okay, I don't really know anything about how to change frequencies on a
radio. (well, I don't know much about it).

My point is still be careful when listening. and careful about how and
where you use it. In other words, use common sense.