Old March 3rd 05, 05:54 AM
tom

Default query re the elusive GE/EDACS traffic

I thought it was supposed to be impossible to intercept GE/EDACS traffic?!?
I asked about this a couple months ago (I think it was this group, maybe not
though) concerning a canadian municipal PD GE/EDACS system, and the
consensus was that it couldn't be done. Then I came across an ad on a
webpage:
PRO-2096 Digital Trunking Mobile/Base Scanner
EDACS Trunking Mode (ED) - You can set your scanner so it decodes talkgroup
IDs used with EDACS (GE/Ericsson/M/ACOM) trunking systems. This setting is
called the EDACS mode. EDACS systems are used primarily by business or
private communications service providers, as well as by some public safety
organizations.

So, is it possible or not? Is the difference maybe that the PD is using
some digital mode?

Old March 4th 05, 04:15 AM
Gerry Wheeler

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 04:54:05 +0000, tom wrote:

I thought it was supposed to be impossible to intercept GE/EDACS traffic?!?
So, is it possible or not? Is the difference maybe that the PD is using
some digital mode?

Yes, that's a possibility. Many EDACS systems (like the one here) are
fully analog voice. The Sheriff's department was going to go digital, but
had too many cases of dropouts. The system is still digital-capable, but I
think they only use it for super-secret ops.
--
Gerry Wheeler
Naples, FL

Old March 6th 05, 03:43 AM
DxxxxxBxx

MacPherson KS has an EDACS system. They have 5 channels and they can
all be monitored in the clear with a non-trunking scanner.

My PRO-2067 follows them in trunked mode, so I assume there are other
scanners that do it as well.

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 04:54:05 GMT, "tom" wrote:

I thought it was supposed to be impossible to intercept GE/EDACS traffic?!?
I asked about this a couple months ago (I think it was this group, maybe not
though) concerning a canadian municipal PD GE/EDACS system, and the
consensus was that it couldn't be done. Then I came across an ad on a
webpage:
PRO-2096 Digital Trunking Mobile/Base Scanner
EDACS Trunking Mode (ED) - You can set your scanner so it decodes talkgroup
IDs used with EDACS (GE/Ericsson/M/ACOM) trunking systems. This setting is
called the EDACS mode. EDACS systems are used primarily by business or
private communications service providers, as well as by some public safety
organizations.

So, is it possible or not? Is the difference maybe that the PD is using
some digital mode?

Spammers, please send email to:

and get your SMTP server blacklisted!
Old March 7th 05, 04:13 PM
BILLY

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 02:43:43 GMT, DxxxxxBxx
wrote:
MacPherson KS has an EDACS system. They have 5 channels and they can
all be monitored in the clear with a non-trunking scanner.

it's not just GE or it's not just EDACS that is the problem.
The problem is when they use Provoice, I don't know of anyone using
the Provoice technology in a scanner right now. I expect eventually
they will, but since it's protected by patent and copyright law, I do
not know anyone that can decode it.

Billy, N5WE
Mississippi
Old March 7th 05, 06:25 PM
tom

Billy, what's Provoice? Is that one o' thum thar proprietary digital
encryption thingies?

Old March 17th 05, 02:47 AM
BILLY

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:25:10 GMT, "tom" wrote:

Billy, what's Provoice? Is that one o' thum thar proprietary digital
encryption thingies?

You're mostly right, except it is not encryption, but it might as well
be. We'll have to wait until some geek at uniden figures the format
out. If it is encrypted, it won't be for long, there's a lot of people
that can handle that. I think the main prob tho is proprietary...

I know Harrison Cty MS uses edacs both with provoice (4 cities +
county and ambulance) and all the fire and rescue is analog all on the
same edac system. I frequently hear the police dispatchers when they
talk to the fire department and I have heard rescue talking to
ambulance, but they were all analog when I heard them. The county and
city maintenance workers are analog on the same system also. (water,
sewer, maint, etc)

Billy, N5WE
Mississippi