Old March 19th 05, 12:31 AM
Ed

I will re-post it
on eBay, but will follow eBay's rules and NOT post any FA on the
newsgroups, not even rec.radio.swap.

I'd be interested in seeing that particular rule.... if you would please
provide a link. It doesn't seem logical to me that EBay would prohibit the
advertising of their own auction on other sites, when such advertising can
only further EBay's chance of increased profits through the EBay sale going
as high as possible.

Ed
Old March 19th 05, 12:37 AM
cl

"Ed" wrote in message
. 93.175...

I will re-post it
on eBay, but will follow eBay's rules and NOT post any FA on the
newsgroups, not even rec.radio.swap.

I'd be interested in seeing that particular rule.... if you would please
provide a link. It doesn't seem logical to me that EBay would prohibit
the
advertising of their own auction on other sites, when such advertising can
only further EBay's chance of increased profits through the EBay sale
going
as high as possible.

Ed

I've advertised FAs here just recently, my auctions weren't cancelled. I'm
wondering if somehow, "maybe" someone sent E-Bay - the non tech wizards they
are, a notice that perhaps your scanner was modified or whatever, to make
them think it was illegal????? Just a thought. I've seen other FAs in here
as well, none of them complained of having their auctions cut short.

The ONLY auction "I" had cut short, was a "linear" I was auctioning off -
listed as NOT working, the finals pulled, for parts. I listed it I believe
for 10 meters, yet they pulled it. No big deal... But they've never pulled
my auctions for posting FA.

IF you have suspects in mind, I suggest you take it up with them. Why turn
vigilante against the whole group?

cl

Old March 19th 05, 12:51 AM
Dan Conti

I've advertised FAs here just recently, my auctions weren't cancelled. I'm
wondering if somehow, "maybe" someone sent E-Bay - the non tech wizards they
are, a notice that perhaps your scanner was modified or whatever, to make
them think it was illegal????? Just a thought. I've seen other FAs in here
as well, none of them complained of having their auctions cut short.

Good thought. I was thinking the same thing. We all know it is
impossible for the 796D to be continuous coverage or modded, but eBay
will go by whatever someone tells them.

This is why I can't wait to see their response.

The ONLY auction "I" had cut short, was a "linear" I was auctioning off -
listed as NOT working, the finals pulled, for parts. I listed it I believe
for 10 meters, yet they pulled it. No big deal... But they've never pulled
my auctions for posting FA.

If NO NE dropped a dime to them about you posting FA, they will never
bother you. DO you really think eBay scours the newsgroups for
violations? They turn a blind eye until someone makes a complaint, then
they have to act.

IF you have suspects in mind, I suggest you take it up with them. Why turn
vigilante against the whole group?

I have A suspect in mind, but can never prove it. eBay will not turn
over the info on the complainant.

No vigilante, just making sure that what was good for Goose Dan, is good
for the gander.

You can thank the no-life asshole among you for it...

Dan

cl

Old March 19th 05, 06:17 AM
Ad Hoc Guy

Speaking of Ebay and shipping, It is terrible the number of complaints I get
from customers regarding the way their shipment arrive at destination in the
USA. the envelopes are opened,the boxes ripped open , the contents damaged
or missing. US Customs really do a great job on even small 6 X 6 bubble
shipping envelopes. They are ****ing Paranoid scumbags if you ask me.
I receive shipments from the states that are literally intact yet inspected
by Canada customs agents.
Years ago I use to sent clothing and food items in Russia to friends we
knew. Even they received those packages intact and they lived in a communist
block country.
So I dont think that Ebay are the only ones that think they are GOD. The
lunatics at the US border have a serious ego problem also if you ask me.

Old March 20th 05, 06:27 PM
§ Dr. Artaud §

"Ad Hoc Guy" wrote in
:

Right before 911, I had bought a new Savage Stevens single shot .22 caliber
rifle, a model designed similar to the original model of the early 1900s
(late 1800s?). Anyway, the rifle had a head spacing problem, and the shells
would split and powder would be ejected towards my face, and an unusually
load report was hear when this happened.

I contacted Savage, they said to return the rifle to them for repair, which
I did. Problem is that it was sent to Canada for repair. 911 occurred, and
it was the last I saw of the rifle. Savage acknowledged that heightened
border security flummoxed the shipment of the rifle, I guess customs got
hold of it, and Savage willingly replaced the rifle with no problems.

Though I can understand that 911 was a horrible time, I always wondered how
many other items disappeared in shipment during those times and continue to
disappear even now.

And the international situation is becoming farcical in terms of who is
allowed to own what, nation to nation. Of course Canada and England
permitted the ownership of unblocked scanners, and kudos for them for it.
But it is my understanding that at least Canada doesn't allow digital
scanners, perhaps someone on this group can set the record straight for me
if they can, with the irony being that the U.S. permits it.

I listen everyday to the police scanner, still largely analog in my area,
and I can see that even though there are occasional problems with someone
using a scanner to further illicit activity, the number of occasions when
someone provides tips because they were listening to the scanner and have
some insight into a particular crime or know the location of someone being
chased by the police, easily offsets, I believe, the illicit use.

I asked the Mayor of a borough near Pittsburgh about scanners. He was a
lifetime cop in the same borough, and he felt that the contribution that
law abiding citizens (listening to scanners) make to police work is very
valuable.

With the borders to Canada and Mexico largely unguarded, it's a farce to
pretend that the U.S. is actually doing anything about so called "Homeland
Security". Neurotically opening small packages (yet inspecting only 2% of
the train rail car size shipping containers coming into the U.S. West Coast
from China) and confiscating single shot rifles and unblocked scanners is
probably not having any effect, save for the enrichment of those that
invariably come into the ownership of items that they didn't pay for.

Dr. Artaud

Old March 21st 05, 01:42 AM
Ad Hoc Guy

Dr.Artaud, Thanks for the insight, It confirms what I always suspected about
those military rejects working at the US borders ( because they wont hire
you unless you been in the service ).
They wear a freakin gun (* .45-Glucks,38,.357 and 9mm Beretta's) both US
imig and Customs do.
You go to Canada and those guys take time to say " HI , Welcome to Canada "
versus the US welcome of " Wo are YOU..Where do you come from and what is
the purpose of your visit !!!bluntly speaking ). Then they ask you if you
have a Police record...The last time I crossed the border at Champlain NY I
was detained for 3 hours because when the woman agent asked me if I had a
Police record I answered " YES, Synchronicity"......They have NO ****ing
sense of Humor those Lunatics. I tried to tell her it was a joke.."
Synchronicity " ..? You know the POLICE ? ha ha ha....................Ha ha
ha was right. The emptied my two bags, I missed my bus and ended up sleeping
in a flea bag motel until the next morning.
Now I know not to make jokes with Brainless killing machines( rejects from
USMC ).

--
" Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder. "
"§ Dr. Artaud §" wrote in message
"Ad Hoc Guy" wrote in
:

Old March 21st 05, 03:17 AM
§ Dr. Artaud §

"Ad Hoc Guy" wrote in
:

Actually, it took a second or two for me to get the police record joke, but
I had a good laugh. Fortunately, (or perhaps unfortunately) I have not had
the occasion to cross into Canada since before 911.

Oddly enough, even before 911, I witnessed a car attempting to enter the
Canadian side that was refused entry. A caucasian driver and 4 or so
oriental looking passengers. I have no insight into why they were refused
entry. They were turned around and sent back towards the U.S. I became
intrigued by the concept of them being refused entry back into the U.S.?
Would they have to live on the bridge for the rest of their lives?

Regards.

Dr. Artaud

Old March 22nd 05, 11:22 PM
Jim Douglas

I was traveling with my 80year old dad and two fly rods, they guy spent 15
minutes checking out the rods, during this time my dad leaned over to me and
whispered, or what he thought was a whisper, what's he's looking for a
****ing fly rod bomb,. the **** hit the fan then, this was before 9-11 and I
wanted to kick the guy's ass.

"
[...]

"§ Dr. Artaud §" wrote in message
"Ad Hoc Guy" wrote in
:

Old March 19th 05, 06:36 AM
Ad Hoc Guy

I'll tell you guys, that really tickles my funny bone. First off a
"contract" can be formed between two individuals without even signing a
written paper.The basic act of demand and offer constitutes a "contract".
Ebay, although an American based company, operates in Canada, thus being
under the common law ruling and consumer laws. If it can be reached from
Quebec , it also falls under the Civil Code which is very clear on the
matter of cancellation of contracts. What Ebay has basically done is breach
a legally formed contract between two individuals , regardless of the items
or nature of the contract, and has literaly stepped in acting as third party
and cancelled the contract without the consentment of the parties.
That is a NO NO in any court of law. I think it's about time that people
begin voicing out the abuse from this company who freely enfringe on foreign
laws, use and culture.
I am convinced that a simple complaint to your local Consumer advocate
requesting an investigation will force Ebay to justify their act. Since
1994, Cyberspace and cybermarketing and exchanges are now integral to all
Laws in Canada and Quebec. Ebay is no exception.
I'm not trying to show off here mind you, I studied law a few years ago.
Thanks

--
" Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder. "
"cl" wrote in message
o.verio.net...

Old March 19th 05, 07:53 AM
Lord Floyd

"Ad Hoc Guy" sputtered incoherently in
:

I'll tell you guys, that really tickles my funny bone. First off
a "contract" can be formed between two individuals without even
signing a written paper.The basic act of demand and offer
constitutes a "contract".

Demand and offer don't make a contract in any sense of the word.

contract:
An agreement between persons which obliges each party to do or not to
do a certain thing. Technically, a valid contract requires an offer
and an acceptance of that offer, and, in common law countries,
consideration.
www.duhaime.org/dictionary/dict-c.htm

--
You are a fluke of the Universe
You have no right to be here

"Five-eleven's your height, one-ninety your weight
You cash in your chips around page ninety-eight."