Old September 10th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Sangean HDR-1

Since all of you are obvioulsy well-versed in SW radio, any thoughts on
this receiver:

http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL...alty/0111.html

I am NOT interested in any thoughts from Edurado, but I am sure, he
will be along shortly. Are Sangean receivers any good, and how is the
company doing financially. I am hoping, as with the Receptor HD on
Amazon.com/hdradio, there will be little interest from consumers.
Thanks.

Old September 10th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I am not well versed on this model, but when are we going to see shortwave
radios that have HD and DRM, as well as USB, firewire , and Bluetooth out
plugs?!

It seems shortwave manufacturers are stuck in the nineties and late
eighties. Maybe this is why everybody on EBay is clamoring for old Grundig
Satalit's!

Omer
oups.com...

Old September 10th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article et,
"Omer Suleimanagich" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Since all of you are obvioulsy well-versed in SW radio, any thoughts on
this receiver:

http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL...alty/0111.html

I am NOT interested in any thoughts from Edurado, but I am sure, he
will be along shortly. Are Sangean receivers any good, and how is the
company doing financially. I am hoping, as with the Receptor HD on
Amazon.com/hdradio, there will be little interest from consumers.
Thanks.

I am not well versed on this model, but when are we going to see shortwave
radios that have HD and DRM, as well as USB, firewire , and Bluetooth out
plugs?!

It seems shortwave manufacturers are stuck in the nineties and late
eighties. Maybe this is why everybody on EBay is clamoring for old Grundig
Satalit's!

The sooner DRM dies the better.

The HD radios in the link above are still vaporware. No real
specifications to speak of in the links. Note all the vaporware to date
need AC power. You are not going to be running these radios on batteries.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 10th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Telamon" wrote in message

The sooner DRM dies the better.

Just curious, what is wrong with DRM? Haven't heard it yet, but hopefully in
the near future I will.

Old September 11th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

Say no to institutionalized interference.
Just say NO to HD/IBOC!
"Telamon" wrote in message
In article et,
"Omer Suleimanagich" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I see the Sangean doesn't even bother with AM-IBOC..

It is on the chip, so I do not see how they could prevent it.

Old September 11th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:
"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

Say no to institutionalized interference.
Just say NO to HD/IBOC!
"Telamon" wrote in message
In article et,
"Omer Suleimanagich" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I indicated that I didn't want to hear from you, asshole !

Old September 11th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:
"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

Say no to institutionalized interference.
Just say NO to HD/IBOC!
"Telamon" wrote in message
In article et,
"Omer Suleimanagich" wrote:

oups.com...

Old September 11th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"numeric" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message

The sooner DRM dies the better.

Just curious, what is wrong with DRM? Haven't heard it yet, but hopefully in
the near future I will.

I've heard it. It just sound like a bunch of noise that covers three
channels on a analog receiver but that is not what you meant.

You can go to the DRM consortium web site and hear some recorded
transmissions. Prepare to be underwhelmed.

http://www.drm.org/

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 11th 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"Brenda Ann" wrote:

Say no to institutionalized interference.
Just say NO to HD/IBOC!
"numeric" wrote in message

"Telamon" wrote in message
..
.

The sooner DRM dies the better.

Just curious, what is wrong with DRM? Haven't heard it yet, but hopefully
in
the near future I will.

First problem is that it interferes with analog signals on nearby channels.

Second is that instead of a bit of phase shift, deep fades or selective
fading, it is either there or its not. Most program listeners would rather
hear the entire program rather than hear parts of it well.

The main problem it is low bit rate audio so even if you have a good
signal it sucks anyway.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Sangean 404 S Walters Shortwave 12 May 15th 06 02:23 PM
KA1102 vs. Sangean 606 vs. Tecsun PL230 Juan Gonzalez Shortwave 7 September 17th 04 04:18 AM
Sangean Problems? DeWayne Shortwave 11 March 10th 04 10:36 PM
Sangean 803 / DX 440 Group on Yahoo - 1 year old! Matt Shortwave 0 November 1st 03 02:36 PM
Is the Sangean ATS-909 worth three times as much as the ATS-505? John Garrison Shortwave 2 August 26th 03 03:29 PM