Old November 24th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Sony 7600gr newbie questions

Dear Jim,

If you've read some of my previous posts, you know that I do not
recommend use of the ICF-SW7600GR with an AC adapter. That being said,
should you still want one, the best (and also the least expensive) one
is the Radio Shack Model 273-1758 6-Volt 300 mA Regulated and Filtered
AC Adapter, $12.99; RS supplies one "Adapt-a-Plug" free with each
adapter. The correct one for the Sony radio is 273-1705.

This adapter works well with the radio and injects only little, if any,
noise into the signal. There is certainly no need whatsoever to spend
$100 for an AC adapter!

Regarding rechargeable battery use with the radio: if you use NiMH
rechargeables, 2500 mAh each or more, and you use the radio frequently,
there will be absolutely no problems with the use of rechargeables. I
suggest that you buy two sets of batteries, $10.00 per set, and a
charger in which one set can be left at all times. In other words, as
you use one set, the second set can be recharged and the charge can be
maintained through trickle-charging. Then when the first set goes flat,
it can be immediately replaced with the second set. Some Maha chargers
do this and so does the C. Crane QuickCharger. These chargers can also
"condition" the batteries and this maximizes their life. I personally
have been using NiMH rechargeables in my ICF-SW7600GRs for over five
years now and have never had any difficulties whatsoever.

The AN-LP1 antenna is well-worth seeking out as it is an excellent
match for this radio. It really improves SW reception. If you find one
for $110.00 or less (including shipping), that price is "right."

For improved MW reception, the Select-A-Tenna works well, as does the
C. Crane "Justice" antenna, in inductive mode, but the least costly
auxiliary MW antenna is the Terk AM Advantage which can be had for
$29.95 plus shipping from B&H Photo/Video as well as some other stores.
Note that any auxiliary MW antenna must be used as an induction
antenna; it cannot be plugged into the Sony's antenna socket. (And also
note that the AN-LP1 - or any other SW antenna plugged into the socket
- must be physically disconnected for proper MW/LW reception.)

Also note that you MUST put two AA batteries into the AN-LP1's control
box. The ICF-SW7600GR will turn the antenna on and off but does NOT
actually "power" the antenna as some reviews have stated.

I hope all of the above is of some use to you and I wish you the very
best of luck with your new Sony ICF-SW7600GR radio. I believe you will
derive much pleasure and edification it.

Joe

jamman wrote:
I have just ordered a Sony 7600gr after having a bad first experience
with another radio that wasn't all that great. I decided on this model
after reading a lot of the industry and consumer reviews, and -- more
importantly -- reading a lot of the suggestions on this message board.
If anyone can help me with a few basic questions, it would be greatly
appreciated!

Is there any difference between using a power cord and using batteries?

In trying to boost reception on my first radio, I relied on a longwire
antenna. Can this be used to boost the AM reception on the 7600gr too?
Or are there better suggestions for an antenna -- if one is even
suggested.

Any quirks that I should be aware of also would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking forward to getting the 7600gr, so thanx for all the great
information on these boards!

Jim

Old November 25th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Sorry for top posting reply.

Does the AN-LP1 antenna have an active amplifier inside? I know that
some antennas may have a varactor diode inside which also requires a
voltage source. I hope to have 7600GR by Dec 25.

I am not looking for a loop antenna. Just curious.

73
NEO

Old November 25th 06, 10:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Nov 24, 7:53 pm, "N9NEO" wrote:
Sorry for top posting reply.

? Does the AN-LP1 antenna have an active amplifier inside ?

Yes ! ~ RHF

jamman wrote:
[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -