Old December 13th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default GE World Monitor P2900A

I recently added a General Electric World Monitor P2900A shortwave
radio to my collection. Does anyone know anything about these radios?
Like, history, when they were produced and in what numbers,
performance, ect. I also would like some ideas on replacing the
missing left telescoping antenna; what would make a good replacement.

Old December 13th 06, 07:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

"1 T",

General Electric (GE) made a few Transistor Radios
that had the "World Monitor" Badging on the Radio
and the General Electric World Monitor P2900A was
one of the later ones. Was the Model # was 7-2900A ?

Vintage GE World Monitor Shortwave Radio {7-2900A-?}
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-GE-World...QQcmdZViewItem
- - - Check-Out the Three very nice Photo-Images

General List of the GE "World Monitor" series of
AM/FM/SW/LW Multi-Band Radios.
http://www.mississippi.net/~comcents/mhr/mhrww.html
http://www.rffun.com/used/sold185.html

GE World Monitor # P-990

GE World Monitor # P-991

GE World Monitor # 7-2900

GE World Monitor "10" # 7-2971

GE World Monitor # 7-2990
Note - Analog Tuning with a Digital Frequency Read-Out
sort of like the Panaasonic RF2800/RF2900 Radios.

? Anyone Know of any 'other' GE World Monitor Radios ?

ge ! - just my two cents worth ~ RHF
- - - and a little more )

AD - 1969 GE World Monitor {P2900A} Radio
http://cgi.ebay.com/1969-G-E-Portabl...QQcmdZViewItem

Circa 1965 - General Electric {World Monitor} 17 Transistor
Shortwave/AM/LW/FM Radio {Model # P990 / P991 ?}
http://cgi.ebay.com/GE-General-Elect...QQcmdZViewItem

http://blujay.com/item/1965-GE-RADIO...170000-1491769

Vintage GE World Monitor Radio FM/Marine/Shortwave
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-GE-World...QQcmdZViewItem
- - - Missing the Front Wing Door-Covers

GE World Monitor Shortwave Radio {Model # ????}
http://cgi.ebay.com/GE-WORLD-MONITOR...cmdZViewI tem

G.E. World Monitor Radio : Photo-Images
http://www.universal-radio.com/used/sold185.html
http://www.geocities.com/old_radio_p...locate/ge.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/GE-shortwave-rad...mZ230057319229

Rear View : Including External Power Adapter Input Jack
http://www.universal-radio.com/used/u597rear.jpg

Product Label - Note Six (6) "D" Batteries = 9 VDC
http://www.universal-radio.com/used/u597lbl2.jpg

IMHO - The GE "World Monitor" Radios were the best Solid-State
Radios that GE made prior to the introduction of the GE Superadios
{Super Radios}.

Monitoring "The World on Shortwave Radio !
cause . . . iane ~ RHF
Old December 17th 06, 11:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Dec 16, 12:59 pm, "tack" wrote:
wrote:
I recently added a General Electric World Monitor P2900A shortwave
radio to my collection. Does anyone know anything about these radios?
Like, history, when they were produced and in what numbers,
performance, ect. I also would like some ideas on replacing the
missing left telescoping antenna; what would make a good replacement.I made a mistake; the broken antenna is the FM antenna on the right.

Does anyone have a close-up picture of this antenna? How does it work?
I understand that it's strange

IIRC -

Larger (Longer & Thicker) Shortwave Whip Antenna that
basically pulled-out Straight-Up and used for general
Omni-Directional {Distant} Sky-Wave Radio Signals.

Smaller (Shorter & Thinner) FM Whip Antenna that
had a rotating Ball Mount and could be 'positioned'
for best local individual FM Radio Station reception.

hope this helps ~ RHF

Old December 18th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Old tv whip or tv rabbit ears antennas might be suitable for replacement
radio antennas.There some low price new tv antennas available in the
stores.
cuhulin

Old December 18th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

That mississippi.net link doesn't work.I typed www.mississippi.net
and it redirects over to something like this.
www.xfoneusa.com/canufly/canufly_faq.html

I used to hear Expetel advertised on the local (and statewide)
Jackson,JT and Dave radio talk show a few years ago.Nowdays they
advertise BellSouth and Comcast.
cuhulin