Old December 14th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Is There A Better Portable Than the Sony ICF-2010?

CelticDude wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I am thinking about upgrading....any suggestions?

Also I have been getting an occasional "Error 3" on my Sony 2010...what
is it from?

Thanks for any advice.

TMT

As far as the Error 3, that is caused by a problem with the AA
batteries that power the memory and CPU. If the batteries themselves
are okay, then you may have to *gently* bend the clips that hold the
batteries. From what I've read, this is a somewhat common problem with
the 2010. If you search the Yahoo 2010 group, you will find more
detailed descriptions and fixes for this.

The problem is Sony didn't hardwire one of the AA battery terminals to
the PC board. Instead they used a pointed contact on the terminal which
touches a solder pad on the microprocessor board. Over time this contact
can become unreliable, causing the AA battery circuit to open
intermittently. The microprocessor senses this problem and produces the
error message. The solution is to bypass the pointed contact on the AA
battery terminal with a short wire soldered to the microprocessor board.
This is what the other AA terminal uses. However it's not easy to access
the location where the bypass wire needs to be installed. I recall
having to completely remove the main PC board and partially remove the
microprocessor board under the main board, to get to the AA battery
terminal area. It was worth the effort though. The error message problem
is gone now on my 2010.
Old December 14th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Bart Bailey" wrote in message
In posted on Thu, 14 Dec
2006 13:16:39 -0600, Brian Hill wrote: Begin

The thing is that the 2010 is about the same amount of $s if you can find
one. Not too many go for less than $350-400.

For the same reasons that Edsels and Stratocasters fetch big bucks,
or a piece of cardboard from the 50s with Mickey Mantle's pic on it.

--

Bart

point?

Old December 14th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Bart Bailey" wrote in message

Noise Blanker?

No, and that's its major shortcoming in my opinion

And why is that?

--
Regards
B.H.

Remove your HAT to reply directly

Old December 14th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

NOW, I REMEMBER - you are that ugly MOTHER****ER !

Old December 15th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Sony ICF-2010 -Replacement- Eton "E1" 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Receiver with 'opinion' XM Satellite Radio

TMT,

If you could buy a Sony ICF-2010 Radio in an Un-Opened Box
aka : 'new' - "NIB" {New-In-the-Box} Today - Great ! Go For It !
- - - These so called "NIB" Sony ICF-2010 Radio usually sell for
over US$500 normally about US$750 on eBay.
- - - However, even though it is 'new' it most likely it does not
have the original Sony Manufacture's Warranty Card.
- - - The Reality is that you are most likely faced with buying a
'used' Sony ICF-2010 Radio for about $240 to $360; that has had
one or two previous owners -and- just may be not quite 100%
{Showing It's Age} - The proverbial PIAP.

So what is out-there that is as good as a Sony ICF-2010 -and-
can be bought "New" with a Full Manufacture's Warranty ? ? ?

IMHO - In today's the 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio Market
-Only- One 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio comes to mind :
The Eton "E1" 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Receiver with
'opinion' XM Satellite Radio.

For Information about the Eton "E1" 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave
Receiver with 'opinion' XM Satellite Radio check-out the :
Eton "E1" 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio Group on YAHOO !

e1-ing you all ~ RHF
Old December 15th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Bart Bailey" wrote in message
In posted on Thu, 14 Dec 2006
16:54:13 -0600, Brian Hill wrote: Begin

"Bart Bailey" wrote in message
In posted on Thu, 14 Dec
2006 13:16:39 -0600, Brian Hill wrote: Begin

The thing is that the 2010 is about the same amount of $s if you can
find
one. Not too many go for less than $350-400.

For the same reasons that Edsels and Stratocasters fetch big bucks,
or a piece of cardboard from the 50s with Mickey Mantle's pic on it.

--

Bart

point?

Surprised you'd have to ask,
but there are collectors who assess value to an item
by criteria other than it's functionality.

--

Bart

Just kidding Bart. I'm very guilty of collecting myself and do understand
but my main point is the 2010 and the E1 are both good radios. It's just
getting harder to find a 2010 at a reasonable price and it can be a mixed
bag unless you trust who your buying from.

BH

Old December 15th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Now, I remember you - I've had run-ins with you, over your
piece-of-**** Eaton **** E1 ! Have your batteries blow up, or any
knobs/switches fallen off, yet ? So, how much did you end up really
spending on your Eaton **** E1 (remember me ?), with the AM loop and
Satellite Radio antennas - $700 ? Cocksucker !

Good bye stupid. Plonk!