Old January 14th 07, 11:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default I hooked up my new Sangean HDR-1 last night

dead of night wrote:
HD radio is so good that I don't want to listen to even the good
analogue stations anymore. I would compare it to the difference
between TV with rabbit ears and a cable TV signal.

You are just a shill for HD Radio/IBOC - IBOC causes adjacent-channel
interference and has only 60% the coverage of analog. HD Radio/IBOC
will fail, from on-going lack of consumer interest. Senator Sununu
just introduced an amandment to his bill, that already has passed, to
keep the FCC from mandating particular standards/produsts. BYE, bye HD
Radio/IBOC !

Old January 15th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 13 Jan 2007 19:42:22 -0800, "dead of night"
wrote:

HD radio is so good that I don't want to listen to even the good
analogue stations anymore. I would compare it to the difference
between TV with rabbit ears and a cable TV signal.

on 3 watts + 3 watts RMS with 10% THD?

bob
k5qwg

Old January 15th 07, 12:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

HD radio is so good that I don't want to listen to even the good
analogue stations anymore. I would compare it to the difference
between TV with rabbit ears and a cable TV signal.

on 3 watts + 3 watts RMS with 10% THD?

bob
k5qwg

It's 5 watts. I don't know why so many fear HD radio. It's going to
exist along side analogue radio, it won't take its place. I can't
understand why shortwave fans, who want to recieve all the information
that is on the airwaves, would not be interested in free digital
signals.

Old January 15th 07, 01:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

HD radio is so good that I don't want to listen to even the good
analogue stations anymore. I would compare it to the difference
between TV with rabbit ears and a cable TV signal.

on 3 watts + 3 watts RMS with 10% THD?

bob
k5qwg

It's 5 watts. I don't know why so many fear HD radio. It's going to
exist along side analogue radio, it won't take its place. I can't
understand why shortwave fans, who want to recieve all the information
that is on the airwaves, would not be interested in free digital
signals.

Because it's QRM.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 15th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

HD radio is so good that I don't want to listen to even the good
analogue stations anymore. I would compare it to the difference
between TV with rabbit ears and a cable TV signal.

on 3 watts + 3 watts RMS with 10% THD?

bob
k5qwg

It's 5 watts. I don't know why so many fear HD radio. It's going to
exist along side analogue radio, it won't take its place. I can't
understand why shortwave fans, who want to recieve all the information
that is on the airwaves, would not be interested in free digital
signals.

For AM IBOC (HD) radio there is significant interference to adjacent
channels. If a station on 820 kHz is broadcasting IBOC, stations on 810 and
830 kHz will be difficult to hear due to the digital noise. For those
interested in DXing, this is an issue.

The digital method used for shortwave is DRM and uses less bandwidth.

craigm

Old January 15th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Is it true that you can not understand a DRM transmission with an
analog radio, where with IBOC you still have an analog component to
listen to ?

Steve
Old January 16th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

HD radio is so good that I don't want to listen to even the good
analogue stations anymore. I would compare it to the difference
between TV with rabbit ears and a cable TV signal.

on 3 watts + 3 watts RMS with 10% THD?

bob
k5qwg

It's 5 watts. I don't know why so many fear HD radio. It's going to
exist along side analogue radio, it won't take its place. I can't
understand why shortwave fans, who want to recieve all the information
that is on the airwaves, would not be interested in free digital
signals.

Fear? HD radio transmissions are trashing the band. I already can not
hear stations because of that crap.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old January 16th 07, 10:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Recently, I was listening to an analog radio and found myself longing
for the digital signals of the same stations and also wondering what
was playing on the HD2 stations. However, I haven't noticed any
interference on either AM or FM. My big complaint is that at night,
some of the HD stations seem to get weaker and I can't receive them
anymore.

Old January 16th 07, 10:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dead of night wrote:
Recently, I was listening to an analog radio and found myself longing
for the digital signals of the same stations and also wondering what
was playing on the HD2 stations. However, I haven't noticed any
interference on either AM or FM. My big complaint is that at night,
some of the HD stations seem to get weaker and I can't receive them
anymore.

Correction: at night, some of the HD2 stations get weaker and I can't
hear them anymore.

Old January 16th 07, 12:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Which HD radio did you buy, and how is it working out for you? The
performance of HD radios is partially dependant on where you live. Some
large cities with many
100,000 watt FM stations will challenge an HD receiver. I listened to
the Boston Accouctics
Receptor at one of my local Radio Shack stores and they didn't even
have a good antenna hooked up to the unit, hence reception on all
FM channels was
compromised. Radio Shack is notorious for having no knowledge of
reception hence
making themselves look bad. Also they had no list of which stations
were HD or which had HD-2 or HD-3. They are sorely lacking in educated
sales people, and even the managers were ignorant. Good luck with your
HD experience. I found the Radio
Shack HD receiver had more information in their display than did the
Boston Accoustics Receptor. Dave N........

On Jan 10, 7:36 am, "dead of night" wrote:
DJ wrote:
Hi. If you have any questions about how this radio works, I will answer
them in this thread.

What kind of antenna are you using?I am using the antennas supplied with the unit: an AM wire loop

antenna, and the telescoping FM antenna.

Sangean 404 S Walters Shortwave 12 May 15th 06 02:23 PM
Ending Sat Night - SANGEAN ATS-803A - Near Mint kk4tl Shortwave 0 September 3rd 05 11:57 AM
Rec.radio. cb version: Night Before Christmas Twistedhed CB 0 December 24th 04 04:12 PM
KA1102 vs. Sangean 606 vs. Tecsun PL230 Juan Gonzalez Shortwave 7 September 17th 04 04:18 AM
Sangean Problems? DeWayne Shortwave 11 March 10th 04 10:36 PM