Old April 9th 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Imus Update

On Apr 9, 1:15 pm, "Roadie" wrote:

Yes, and I'm certain that it's consistent with the possibility for
redundancy of possible redundancies too.- Hide quoted text -

-

You can say that again!

Old April 9th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Steve wrote:

On Apr 9, 12:52 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Apr 9, 12:25 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

groups.com...

On Apr 9, 12:07 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:

Satellite is not content regulated, but the possibility of a boycott
of a
satellite company or of their advertisers or resellers is possible.-
Hide
quoted text -

Err....yes, that possibility is indeed possible. If you check, I think
you'll find that most possibilities are possible. That's why we call
them "possibilities".

The point is that any action against Imus for terrestrial radio programs
can
be duplicated for satellite. At the same time, there is little or no
regulatory pressure per the FCC rules that can be put on either medium...
unless it went all the way to "fitness as a licensee" which has never
been
applied to content of this type (fitness has been applied to convicted
felons and sex offenders, not to content).

This is consistent with the possibility of possibilities, is it not?

Yeah, if this were alt.usage.english- Hide quoted text -

You used the English language in your post, didn't you?

It sure wasn't the Spanin language.

Old April 10th 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Don Imus is suspended,gets two weeks off.According to article at
www.drudgereport.com
cuhulin

Old April 10th 07, 02:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 9, 8:54 pm, wrote:
Don Imus is suspended,gets two weeks off.According to article atwww.drudgereport.com
cuhulin

"''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''
The 2-week suspension starts on Monday 16. There was an earlier report
that Al Sharpton would appear on Imas' program on Tuesday 10th. Jesse
Jackson has entered the fray in Chicago: Jackson is very good at
getting corporations to "pay up" as atonement and protection so the
stakes are getting higher. The National Organization of Women (NOW) is
demanding his firing or else.
The whole thing reminds me of "The Bonfire of the Vanities" by
Wolfe, a book well worth reading in view of the Imus brougha.
I don't know about US law, but British and Canadian law allows
lawsuit for slander. The only defence is that the defendent spoke the
truth. Imagine the detective work that would be needed to prove that
Imus' slander was true.

Old April 10th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 9, 8:54 pm, wrote:
Don Imus is suspended,gets two weeks off.According to article atwww.drudgereport.com
cuhulin

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """""""""""""""
Toda's Imus show (Tuesday) featured several guests who gave
testimonials about Imus' good works and a NBC piece that presented Al
Sharpton, who still thinks that Imus should be fired. MSNBC will be at
Rutgers at 11 am to cover the apology attempt there.
I got MSNBC several years ago to listen to the Imus show, which,
as a Canadian, I knew nothing about. I wanted to hear plain speaking
about issues of the day and not the carefully crafted set pieces of
the pr people. I thought Imus would be blunt and ask the awkward
questions.
Over the years, I got tired of the same old faces of a small in-
group of politicos and media people who all seemed to hang out around
72 street and lunch at Elaines. What is worse, I watched an irascible
old shock jock lash out at people who couldn't fight back. I am
thinking of regular attacks on Sid Rosenburg and Chris Carlin as well
as a young woman from MSNBC that he attacked in public and drove off
the show.
Hubris http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/hubris is an exaggerated
self confidence that eventually brings about fatal retribution.
"Men think that by ill-treating others they make their own superiority
the greater."...Aristotle.
This whole uproar is over a racial slur made by a man affected by
hubris. Times have changed and this sort of thing is no longer
acceptable in US society, It is even illegal in Canada and Europe
and may trigger speech laws in the US. It also has a bearing on the
conduct of rec.radio.shortwave, where insults, racial slurs and
slander is the order of the day. This may be an opportunity to clean
up the act. There may be limits to free speech.
All in all, I agree with Sharpton. Imus has done this several times
before, apologised, and done it again. He is not so big and powerful
that he can't be brought down. The bigger they are, the harder they
fall.

Old April 11th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article . com,
"ve3..." wrote:

On Apr 9, 8:54 pm, wrote:
[...]

It drives the biggest morning show in LA. on KFI.

It is even illegal in Canada and Europe and may trigger speech laws
in the US.

Not in the USA.

It also has a bearing on the conduct of rec.radio.shortwave, where
insults, racial slurs and slander is the order of the day. This may
be an opportunity to clean up the act.

Not a chance.

There may be limits to free speech.

Not here.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old April 11th 07, 05:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Telamon" wrote in message
This whole uproar is over a racial slur made by a man affected by
hubris. Times have changed and this sort of thing is no longer
acceptable in US society,

It drives the biggest morning show in LA. on KFI.

KFI is NOT the "biggest morning show in LA."

Old April 11th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article . com,
There may be limits to free speech.

Not here.

--

There have always been limits to free speech, even in the US. Most often
these have been limits on the rights of people that the majority find

Old April 11th 07, 06:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"ve3..." wrote:

On Apr 9, 8:54 pm, wrote:
[...]

It would almost seem that being intelligent is illegal in CanaDuh.

Old April 11th 07, 10:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default (OT) : Must Be A Slow News Year in Canada . . .

On Apr 9, 8:42 am, "ve3..." wrote:
I watched Imus this morning until 8:00 and he was quite rattled at
times. He apologised profusely for his comments about the Rutgers team
and indicated that his show would be more politically correct for the
"next 4 or 5 years".
He had spent much of the weekend consulting with Al Sharpton and
the head of the First Baptist Church and they both agreed that he was
fundamentally a "good person" who made a "stupid mistake" but they
both felt he should resign anyway.
His guests were supportive and I think the New York Times article
He said he would be on Al Sharpton's radio program and network at
1 pm eastern time today. For those not near a station, Sharpton can
be heard at sharptalk.net.
Al Sharpton was booked on Tuesday's show.
The story is still unfolding but if Imus survives, it will be with
a much tamer show. I think another pressure comes from the lawyers.
Imus may be afraid of having the pants sued off him. Stay tuned.

VE3,

Must be a Slow News Year in Canada : Seeing that
you have to comment on Current Events in the USofA.

now go watch the snow melt ) ~ RHF