Old June 3rd 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Sony 7600GR External Antenna Jack, Needs to be settled, Can it be shorted out to the point that it destroys the radio.

On Jun 2, 9:48 pm, junius wrote:
On Jun 2, 8:40 pm, craigm wrote:

From
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...dfd16b3dca3750
b3?dmode =source

1.- The ext. antenna socket is "hot", i.e. powered through a 470 ohm
resistence + 100 uH coil. This means that it will deliver approx. 10
mA DC current to the external antenna circuit. The coil is to
prevent "polluting" the power circuit of the radio with radio
frequency signal. Evidently, the purpose of this arrangement is to
"inform" the accessory antenna when the radio is turned on. In case
of the Sony AN-LP1 it turns on the antenna without need to use the
antenna power switch. However, the 7600G will NOT power the antenna,
the 10 mA are not enough to power the amplifier circuit. The power
for the AN-LP1 comes from its own batteries. You can use this
feature with any active antenna by including a proper power-up
circuit - a nice feature if your active antenna is located far away
from the radio and you want it to turn on and off automatically when
you use your radio.

This does not sound right to me. A power detect circuit would only need
micro-amps not 10 ma. 10 ma is respectable power for a simple amplifier.

According to the schematic for the antenna, only 6.4 mA is drawn from the
batteries ( 3 volts) when turned on.

The sense circuit to turn on the antenna from a radio has a 100 kohm
resistor in it. This would draw 30-60 uA from the radio.

Also, the antenna schematic indicates that it is not possible to power the
antenna from the radio connection. (Although there could be different
versions of the antenna....)

FWIW the antenna's LED is powered with less than 1 mA.

The Sony radio schematics I looked at all have enough series resistance so
that shorting the antenna connection will not damage the radio. There is no
issue to settle.

craigm- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, folks, for taking the time to delve into this a bit more
deeply. One question, though, even if the radio itself is in no risk
of any damage, could there possibly be any risk of damage to a non-
Sony amplified antenna that might be hooked up to this jack? i.e.
could this low-level current flowing out to the coax cable damage the
amplification unit of an active antenna?

Dear Junius,

I have used two non-Sony active antennas with in conjunction with my
Sony ICF-SW7600GRs. One is my Wellbrook ALA 330S.. Believe me, if I
thought that there might be even the slightest problem, I should have
never tried it. After all, the antenna costs over $300.00! But, of
course, there is no problem whatsoever in using this (or probably any)
active amplified antenna with the Sony, other than the problem of
needing three Radio Shack adapters to hook the Wellbrook, with its
PL-259 plug to the Sony with its 3.5mm socket!

The other non-Sony amplified antenna I have tried is my AOR WL500
Window Loop antenna. This also works extremely well, in fact, even
better than the AN-LP1. There are certain difficulties with this
antenna which preclude me from using it on an ongoing basis, but its
performance is absolutely first-rate. There one needs two Radio Shack
adapters to go from a BNC connector to the 3.5mm jack.

This was an interesting question. Has anyone else used any other non-
Sony amplified antennas with the '7600G/GRs? I would be very
interested in hearing the experiences of owners of the AOR LA-380.

Best,

Joe

Old June 3rd 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

junius wrote:

Thanks, folks, for taking the time to delve into this a bit more
deeply. One question, though, even if the radio itself is in no risk
of any damage, could there possibly be any risk of damage to a non-
Sony amplified antenna that might be hooked up to this jack? i.e.
could this low-level current flowing out to the coax cable damage the
amplification unit of an active antenna?

That would depend upon the antenna. However, the most power that would be
delivered to the antenna would be maybe 40 mW.

Craigm
Old June 3rd 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
craigm wrote:

[...]

30-60 uA for a "sense circuit" makes more sense than 10 mA.

I have only used a roll-up single wire external antenna with the radio
connected to the tip of the antenna jack. If I decide to connect a
closed loop antenna like a folded dipole I'll use a series capacitor so
not to waste battery power.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 3rd 07, 10:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
MRe MRe is offline

"Telamon" schreef in bericht
In article ,
craigm wrote:

[...]

The 'live' antenna imput of this radio is useful for a very simple home-built active
antenna.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...d/5bb2bb0dc933
e3c5/e363b5117ffea249?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1&hl=nl#e363b5117f fea249

--
Greetings from Groningen ^top^ of Holland

MRe

Old June 3rd 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"MRe" wrote:

"Telamon" schreef in bericht

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r.../thread/5bb2bb
0dc933
e3c5/e363b5117ffea249?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1&hl=nl#e363b5117f fea249

It's got to be in english for me to understand it.

You can stop links in post from breaking by putting at the beginning
and at the end in any decent news reader. For example:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...thread/thread/

Old June 4th 07, 07:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jun 3, 3:01 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article ,

"MRe" wrote:
"Telamon" schreef in bericht

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...se_thread/thre...
0dc933
e3c5/e363b5117ffea249?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1&hl=nl#e363b5117f fea249

It's got to be in english for me to understand it.

You can stop links in post from breaking by putting at the beginning
and at the end in any decent news reader. For example:

- http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...browse_thread/
thread/5bb2bb0dc933e3c5/e363b5117ffea249?
lnk=st&q=&rnum=1&hl=nl#e363b5117ffea249

--
Telamon
Ventura, California- Hide quoted text -

German-to-English via AltaVista "Babel Fish" Translation
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...63b5117ffea249

Hello dear OM's and user of Sony world receivers, with the study of
the connection diagram of a SONY ICF-7600G, daá the socket of the
external antenna was noticeable to me by a 470-Ohm resistance and a
100-uH throttle with the internal tension is connected by approx. 6V!
That walk naturally after the Anschluá of one active threshing floor
with remote supply. First attempts with a low-noise universal
transistor (BC 239 or BC 549) brought surprisingly good results. The
circuit could be hardly simpler, since the Collector resistance is
present already together with uncoupling in the Empf"nger. Only for
the base voltage muá to be still provided. Naturally one is in such a
manner "primitive" circuit which the Groásignalverhalten concerns
beyond of property and bad to settle. But for the vacation far
starting from the civilization and groáen radio stations, the circuit
is suitable better than then Y throw Y. Even with an additional
entrance filter for the delimitation of the range on approx.. 3-30 MHz
(against strong medium-wave transmitters), the circuit with something
fate in a 3,5mm jack plug laeát itself accommodates. With 75cm the
whole thing less place in the luggage takes wire away as antenna and
an appropriate 50-Ohm extension line from RG-174 than the SONY Jojo
during clear level rise. One can fasten the antenna with suction cup,
Klipse or plaster to the window and one needs no more wires by the
hotel room to then stretch.

Here now the really simple circuit:
V 0,5 - 1m 220k ---
| Draht ____ | 50 Ohm
| -|____|-o-------------o Ausgang
| | | |
| 100pF 470pF | C / ---
| | | / |
| || || | B |/ |
-----------||---o---||---o----| BC239 o.i. |
|| | || |\ |
| | | \ |
| | E \ |
10uH | | | |
|_| | |
| | |
o-----------------o-------------

Attention that the internal tension is switched off with FM
enterprise, functions the whole only to 30 MHz. Who would like to hear
also occasionally FM restaurant act ions, and no desire has
continuously umzustoepseln, muá still another additional filter for
the UKW range to construct themselves, and to above circuit parallel
put. If the antenna wire is made long then 75cm, it affects UKW as
passive 1/4-Lambda-Staebchen, thus daá the inserted teleskopantenne to
remain pushed in can. It would still interest me whether also
different then Y Y put such a phantom powering on the external antenna
socket. Perhaps the circuit can be used then also there. I had already
made myself a suitable jack plug with light emitting diode, in order
to test with a resident dealer times the world receivers. It had
however fear, daá I which make broken could, rear.

Much fun when tinkering and...
! 55 de David, DC4DKA @DB0OE.#NRW.DEU.EU
! Loc.JO31KL

- - - - -