Old June 1st 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Senior Member

Default Sony 7600GR External Antenna Jack, Needs to be settled, Can it be shorted out to the point that it destroys the radio.

On Jun 1, 1:45 am, "Adam" wrote:
If you use a random wire in the Sony 7600GR radio and accidently short it,
can it destory the radio and/or cause damage or is it protected?

In the manual it says it has DC power but on at least two websites, it
supposely only has a "sense power" to turn antennas off and on.

I called sony customer support and they claim the jack doesn't have any DC
power in it, that it is only reception. This was said by two different
agents, but when I emailed them, they keep talking about the headphone jack
for some reason.

Will someone please settle this for me, it's like some are saying it can
short and at the same time, some are saying it can't at all. I just want to
have this darn thing settled.

Thanks in advanced.

I guess this touches to the issue of Sony putting a DC voltage to the
antenna jacks to power the AN-LP series of antennas.

The antenna jack on the ICF-SW07 does incorporate a DC voltage to
power the supplied AN-LP2 antenna. The instruction manual accordingly
warns:

"Do not connect any other antennas other than the recommended active
antennas to the AM EXT ANT jack of the unit, as the jack supplies DC
voltage to power the recommended active antennas."

Neither the instruction manual to the ICF-SW7600G nor that for the ICF-
SW7600GR has any similar such disclaimer.

In hooking up the AN-LP1 antenna to the ICF-SW7600GR, I have found
that the radio does not power the antenna. The antenna requires its
own batteries (unlike the AN-LP2 which can be powered directly by the
'SW07).

Old June 1st 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

junius ) writes:
On Jun 1, 1:45 am, "Adam" wrote:
[...]

An obvious solution, though perhaps too late for the original poster,
would be to put a ceramic capacitor in series between the connector
and the wire, just in case. Something like .001uF or maybe .01uF. It
won't hurt.

Michael
Old June 2nd 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Senior Member

On Jun 1, 9:58 am, junius wrote:
On Jun 1, 1:45 am, "Adam" wrote:

[...]

'SW07).- Hide quoted text -

Heckfire, I should post messages while at work... A mistake here...
The manual for the SW7600GR does have one of these disclaimers, now
doesn't it? Worded as such: "Do not connect external antennas other
than those recommended to the AM EXT ANT jack. This jack outputs DC
voltage for antenna power supply."

Interestingly, the '7600G manual, dated 1994, has no such warning, and
in fact has instructions for the use of the '7600G with the old AN-1
amplified antenna, among others.

In any case, both radios behave in entirely the same manner when in
use with the AN-LP1.

Old June 2nd 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Senior Member

On Jun 1, 9:58 am, junius wrote:
On Jun 1, 1:45 am, "Adam" wrote:

[...]

To Adam, Mr. Alessandrini and Mike:

Perhaps you might find the following interesting:

From http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...3?dmode=source

1.- The ext. antenna socket is "hot", i.e. powered through a 470 ohm
resistence + 100 uH coil. This means that it will deliver approx. 10
mA
DC current to the external antenna circuit. The coil is to prevent
"polluting" the power circuit of the radio with radio frequency
signal.
Evidently, the purpose of this arrangement is to "inform" the
accessory
antenna when the radio is turned on. In case of the Sony AN-LP1 it
turns on the antenna without need to use the antenna power switch.
However, the 7600G will NOT power the antenna, the 10 mA are not
enough
to power the amplifier circuit. The power for the AN-LP1 comes from
its
own batteries. You can use this feature with any active antenna by
including a proper power-up circuit - a nice feature if your active
antenna is located far away from the radio and you want it to turn on
and off automatically when you use your radio.

2.- You can connect any other antenna (provided it is correctly
designed
and installed) to the EXT ANT socket without risking to damage the
radio. However, if the external antenna circuit has low DC
resistence,
it will drain some current from the radio. Therefore, you will
experiment slightly higher power consumption from your batteries (up
10% at normal listening volume). You can avoid this current drain by
including a small ceramic capacitor (1000 pF) in series with the
antenna
circuit, however I don't think it is really necessary.

3.- The 7600G has some basic protection build into the EXT ANT input
circuit. Any static buid-up will be drained off via the power circuit
mentioned in point 1. It also includes a diode pair (1SS123) to
protect
the input RF amplifier FET from damage due to too strong signals or an
accidental connection of the antenna to a low voltage AC source. IT
IS
NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR A PROPER ANTENNA GROUNDING AND LIGHTNING
PROTECTION
IF YOU USE AN EXTERNAL ANTENNA - YOU STILL NEED TO PROPERLY GROUND
YOUR
EXTERNAL ANTENNA AND PROTECT YOUR RADIO, but it builds some margin of
safety to protect the front-end FET - a common problem with the Sony
2001D (2010).

Old June 2nd 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Senior Member

On Jun 1, 10:19 am, (Michael Black) wrote:
junius ) writes:
On Jun 1, 1:45 am, "Adam" wrote:
[...]

Michael- Hide quoted text -

I have read of some folks opting for this solution. Are there inline
capacitors available with mini-jacks (male on one end, female on the
other)? If not (and forgive if this is a dumb question), what does
one need to go about constructing this?

Thanks,

Junius

Old June 3rd 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

junius wrote:

I have read of some folks opting for this solution. Are there inline
capacitors available with mini-jacks (male on one end, female on the
other)? If not (and forgive if this is a dumb question), what does
one need to go about constructing this?

Thanks,

Junius

Buy a stereo headphone plug that fits, and connect the antenna wire
to the tip, only.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old June 3rd 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article . com,
junius wrote:

On Jun 1, 9:58 am, junius wrote:
On Jun 1, 1:45 am, "Adam" wrote:

[...]

the 'SW07).- Hide quoted text -

To Adam, Mr. Alessandrini and Mike:

Perhaps you might find the following interesting:

From
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...dfd16b3dca3750
b3?dmode =source

[...]

This does not sound right to me. A power detect circuit would only need
micro-amps not 10 ma. 10 ma is respectable power for a simple amplifier.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 3rd 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Sony 7600GR External Antenna Jack (EAJ) , Needs to be settled - Question : Can it (EAJ) be Shorted-Out to the point that it Destroys the Radio. Answer : No !

Fromhttp://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/dfd16b3dca3750...

[...]

2001D (2010).- Hide quoted text -

OK So . . .
The 470 Ohm Resister plus 100 uH Coil would be a
Series Circuit {In-Series} to anything pluged into the
External Antenna Jack of the Sony ICF-SW7600GR.

So and Antenna Wire and Ground Wire connected to
the Jack would NOT Short-Out the Radio's Power [.]

However - A "Jumper" Wire {Direct Short} across the Jack
would 'cause' the Radio to go Silent {Eliminating any
RF Signals} and 'appear' to be Shorted-Out {No Sound}
until the Jumper Wire was removed.

WRT - Sony 7600GR External Antenna Jack,
Needs to be settled,

QUESTION : Can it be shorted out to the point
that it destroys the radio.

ANSWER : No !

our eyes and ears can lead us to 'assume' facts : that
are not in evidence and in-fact are not facts at all ~ RHF
Old June 3rd 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Senior Member

On Jun 2, 8:40 pm, craigm wrote:
[...]

According to the schematic for the antenna, only 6.4 mA is drawn from the
batteries ( 3 volts) when turned on.

The sense circuit to turn on the antenna from a radio has a 100 kohm
resistor in it. This would draw 30-60 uA from the radio.

Also, the antenna schematic indicates that it is not possible to power the
antenna from the radio connection. (Although there could be different
versions of the antenna....)

FWIW the antenna's LED is powered with less than 1 mA.

The Sony radio schematics I looked at all have enough series resistance so
that shorting the antenna connection will not damage the radio. There is no
issue to settle.

craigm- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, folks, for taking the time to delve into this a bit more
deeply. One question, though, even if the radio itself is in no risk
of any damage, could there possibly be any risk of damage to a non-
Sony amplified antenna that might be hooked up to this jack? i.e.
could this low-level current flowing out to the coax cable damage the
amplification unit of an active antenna?

Old June 3rd 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 2, 9:22 am, junius wrote:
On Jun 1, 9:58 am, junius wrote:

On Jun 1, 1:45 am, "Adam" wrote:

[...]

Dear Junius,

You are quite correct about the warning in the '7600GR's manual. I do
not have at hand my '7600G's manual but I know you are correct there
too, especially considering the fact that the AN-LP1 had not yet been
introduced when the '7600G's manual was written (and to my knowledge
it was never revised)

The warning is plain silly however. It is almost akin to what we read
back in the old days "for best results use Columbia needles" or "for
best results use RCA tubes" but the warning in the manual is much more
explicit, wrongheaded though it is.

It has been my personal (though limited) experience that ANY
reasonable antenna, to which one can attach a 3.5mm plug, can, in
fact, be used with excellent results with the ICF-SW7600G/GR. In my
opinion, the best overall match is the AN-LP1 but others have much
more experience than I do with using other antennas with these radios.

By the way, my name is actually spelled "Analssandrini" not
"Alessandrini." I will say that this spelling error is quite common.
You ought to see some of my junk mail. There are even more "creative"
misspellings of my name!

Best,

Joe