Old July 18th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Eton E5

Is it just me or have I got a decent E5
I have read loads about how bad they are but still went ahead and bought
one, and I like it, in fact I like it a lot.
I run it alongside my Sony SW77 and it could get everything the 77 could,
sideband was easy to use and tune, obviously the sound is not as good as the
77 but its quite good considering the small speaker.
It could be that I live in the UK, and we dont seem to get many problems
with strong stations on nearby frequencies wiping out what your listening
to.
All in all I'm very pleased, it certainly blows my trusty old
Degan/Kaito1103 away, I find it better than my Sony 7600GR, except for no
sync-lock. I always find the 7600gr sounds very tinny and crap so I dont
bother with it much, and ssb on the 7600gr is a bloody nightmare.
Anyway, happy to say, I'm glad I bought it
cheers
voyager

Old July 18th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hello Voyager:

I have an E5 also and generally concur but

the build quality is not as good as the sony....

just a note,read on the Kiwa guy's mod website,that

degen/Kaito 1103's -and this would include our

E5's- do not have any diode protection on the pull-

up antenna.

So if you walk across a rug,etc be mindful to not touch

the whip and blow the RF transistor.

BTW,Kiwa guy offers a diode mod for this and will do it...

best regards.....
Old July 19th 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 18, 6:05 pm, rtc wrote:
Hello Voyager:

I have an E5 also and generally concur but

the build quality is not as good as the sony....

just a note,read on the Kiwa guy's mod website,that

degen/Kaito 1103's -and this would include our

E5's- do not have any diode protection on the pull-

up antenna.

So if you walk across a rug,etc be mindful to not touch

the whip and blow the RF transistor.

BTW,Kiwa guy offers a diode mod for this and will do it...

best regards.....

What's the URL to that diode mod for the Degan/Kaito 1103 (and the E5)?

Old July 19th 07, 09:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

http://www.kiwa.com/KA1103.html

Old July 20th 07, 10:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

google search, eton e5 reviews, they dont have a very good rating as yet on
numerous sites
Voyager

Old July 20th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 20, 5:19 am, "voyager2007" wrote:
google search, eton e5 reviews, they dont have a very good rating as yet on
numerous sites
Voyager

Other sites seem to like the E5:

http://www.radios4you.com/eton-E5-LG.html
http://bandscan.blogspot.com/2007/02...e5-review.html
http://www.amazon.com/Eton-E5-AM-Sho.../dp/B000EINRA8

ABOUT - The Eton {Etón} 'Elite' E5 AM/FM Shortwave Radio - Part II - RHF Shortwave 4 February 15th 06 12:23 AM
Eton E5 YBZ Shortwave 6 November 8th 05 02:22 AM
Eton E1XM Radio "News & Info" / Who has the Eton E1 XM Radio "For Sale" ? / Locating an Eton E1 XM Radio to Buy ! RHF Shortwave 0 August 16th 05 03:37 AM
Eton E-One-X-M (USA) Mike Terry Shortwave 12 March 24th 05 12:40 PM
Eton E1...Again ! Bill Amann Jr Shortwave 4 March 15th 05 05:00 AM