Old July 21st 07, 01:35 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

Default How I would like to change the *digital* cell phone industry.

On Jul 19, 12:06 am, Jeff Liebermann wrote in
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...e614fe3?hl=en&
:

Radium hath wroth:

On Jul 1, 7:24 am, wrote in
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...sg/696d6abf90c...

how would u like to change the cell phone industry?

Digital cell phones should stop using the compression they use and
start using monaural WMA compression with a CBR of 20 kbps or less and
a sample rate of at least 44.1 KHz.

Very roughly, the current 8Kbits/sec encoding rate,
compared to your 44Kbit/sec, will only handle about 1/5th the number
of users.

Who said anything about 44Kbit/sec?

The bit-rate of my WMA CBR is 20Kbit/sec or less.

1. In its uncompressed form, the audio must have a bit-resolution of
at least 16-bit

The encoding resolution is not changed by compression. If you encode
something with 16 bit resolution, and compress it, you still have 16
bit data coming out. It's the data rate or thruput that changes with
compression.

Okay.

2. The sample-rate of the compressed and the uncompressed version of
the audio must be the same.

Not possible. If the rate in and rate out are identical, then there's
no compression happening.

Yes it is possible and it is compression. The uncompressed audio is a
monaural linear PCM at 44.1-KHz-sample-rate with a 16-bit-resolution
-- this audio has a bit-rate of 705.6 kbps. The compressed audio is a
monaural CBR WMA at 44.1-KHz-sample-rate with a bit-rate of 20 kbps or
less.

Where/when is there any change in sample-rate?????????

There is definitely a change in bit-rate. However, that is totally
different from the sample-rate. Totally.

BIT-rate and SAMPLE-rate are two completely different things.

In linear PCM audio:

BIT-rate = SAMPLE-rate X bit-resolution X number of channels

Stereo has two channels. Mono has one channel.

44,100 Hz X 16-bit X 1 channel = 705,600 bps

Old July 21st 07, 09:58 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

"Kurt" wrote in message
I want getting phone service like when I buy a Mac.

You only want them to work in a few dozen exchanges, and use a codec that
only other phones of that brand use, so you can't talk to anyone else but
other customers of that company (sort of like Sprint's "Friends and Family"
plan). ?

Old July 21st 07, 02:20 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 17:58:53 +0900, Brenda Ann wrote:

"Kurt" wrote in message
I want getting phone service like when I buy a Mac.

You only want them to work in a few dozen exchanges, and use a codec that
only other phones of that brand use, so you can't talk to anyone else but
other customers of that company (sort of like Sprint's "Friends and Family"
plan). ?

Thx.

--
skype:mranep
cell:813-610-2978; work:813-386-4500; work2:813-915-1663
Old July 21st 07, 03:45 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

On 7/21/07 1:58 AM, in article
, "Brenda Ann"
wrote:

"Kurt" wrote in message
I want getting phone service like when I buy a Mac.

You only want them to work in a few dozen exchanges, and use a codec that
only other phones of that brand use, so you can't talk to anyone else but
other customers of that company (sort of like Sprint's "Friends and Family"
plan). ?

I wouldn't want facts to get in the way of your rant, but you really seem to
be misinformed or don't care for the facts.

Old July 21st 07, 03:50 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

On 7/20/07 8:27 PM, in article
, "Kurt"
wrote:

In article . com,
Radium wrote:

On Jul 19, 12:06 am, Jeff Liebermann wrote in

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.basics/msg/4b14d9c79e614fe3?hl
=
en&
:

Radium hath wroth:

On Jul 1, 7:24 am, wrote in
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...sg/696d6abf90c...

how would u like to change the cell phone industry?

I would do what Apple is doing right now. Use their power to force the
phone companies to offer (finally) great phones with simple plans that
their employees can't screw up or misinform customers about.

Apple can't and isn't forcing "the phone companies" to do anything. You're
an idiot.

I want getting phone service like when I buy a Mac.

You have a monthly payment plan for minutes of use of your Mac? Is this
something they forced you to buy?

Old July 21st 07, 05:28 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

In article ,
Don Bowey wrote:

On 7/20/07 8:27 PM, in article
, "Kurt"
wrote:

In article . com,
Radium wrote:

[...]

You miss my point. Why do you think the iPhone is so successful?
Why the iPod?

Old July 21st 07, 06:24 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

On 7/21/07 9:28 AM, in article
, "Kurt"
wrote:

In article ,
Don Bowey wrote:

On 7/20/07 8:27 PM, in article
, "Kurt"
wrote:

In article . com,
Radium wrote:

[...]

Until there are more facts, the iPhone's current success is due to people
wanting a very cool instrument with good features.

The iPod's success is from Apple having a top-notch product line with good
features, and cool looks. And people should not overlook, but often do,
iTunes. It is iTunes that makes the iPod easy to use, giving it easy
access to their CD and MP3 music regardless of where they buy it. People
who don't want an iPod can still use the free iTunes to good advantage.

Apple doesn't make anyone do anything.

So, what was your point?

Don

Old July 21st 07, 07:00 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

In article ,
Don Bowey wrote:

You miss my point. Why do you think the iPhone is so successful?
Why the iPod?

Until there are more facts, the iPhone's current success is due to people
wanting a very cool instrument with good features.

Which is pretty much the definition of putting out a product that the
public wants. But, yet, I seem to have feelings that you did not mean
this as a positive.
Old July 21st 07, 07:44 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless
RHF RHF is offline

On Jul 21, 11:14 am, Don Bowey wrote:
On 7/21/07 11:00 AM, in article
,

"Kurt Ullman" wrote:
In article ,
Don Bowey wrote:

You miss my point. Why do you think the iPhone is so successful?
Why the iPod?

Until there are more facts, the iPhone's current success is due to people
wanting a very cool instrument with good features.

Which is pretty much the definition of putting out a product that the
public wants. But, yet, I seem to have feelings that you did not mean
this as a positive.

You are reading in something I did not say.

The iPhone is off to a great start, but it has no track record at this time.
I anticipate that it will be very successful, but we can only guess at it
now. From an investor point-of-view, I think the monthly kickback from AT&T
that Apple negotiated, is good. From a personal POV I think it sucks, and
will likely antagonize Apple supporters.

IPhone Buyers and Users -and- Apple Supporters
may not be one and the same. ~ RHF