Old July 28th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default GE Superradio III Help

I picked one of these up at Goodwill for three bucks, and I need to
get inside of it to fix a speaker connection, but a couple of the
screws in the back won't turn for me (stripped, maybe?). Those of you
who have one know that they are very recessed into the plastic body of
the radio, and I can't figure out how to get them unscrewed. Any
suggestions, please?

Old July 28th 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

willismat wrote:

I picked one of these up at Goodwill for three bucks, and I need to
get inside of it to fix a speaker connection, but a couple of the
screws in the back won't turn for me (stripped, maybe?). Those of you
who have one know that they are very recessed into the plastic body of
the radio, and I can't figure out how to get them unscrewed. Any
suggestions, please?

I suggest waiting until a minty SR II shows up for $6!
And then get a little 'turntable' for $1.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old July 30th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 28, 3:01 pm, willismat wrote:
I picked one of these up at Goodwill for three bucks, and I need to
get inside of it to fix a speaker connection, but a couple of the
screws in the back won't turn for me (stripped, maybe?). Those of you
who have one know that they are very recessed into the plastic body of
the radio, and I can't figure out how to get them unscrewed. Any
suggestions, please?

Long shank screwdriver, available at a good electronics store, and no
Radio Shack does not count. The place where I bought mine went out of
business years ago. A decent electronics store is tough to find. If
you're in California, Frys has them. If you're anywhere else, open the
phone book to "electronics", then start calling until you find a
decent place. Electronics parts aren't as popular as they once were.
If you're in a major city, you should be able to find one. Otherwise
you'll be driving a ways. By the way, most radios (including the SR3)
use a philips head screw. I've never needed a standard head long shank
driver.

Old July 30th 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
msg msg is offline

American Insurgent wrote:

snip

Long shank screwdriver, available at a good electronics store, and no
Radio Shack does not count. The place where I bought mine went out of
business years ago. A decent electronics store is tough to find.

snip

Making special tools is often a requirement in this field; feel free
to grind a piece of square steel bar of the proper width at the end
into the correct size spade for a screwdriver -- with a hand grinder
(dremel tool) and cutoff wheel, you can make a reed-prince or philips
head as well. If you need to make a "Mac cracking tool" for the
classic Macs, weld a torx bit of the proper size onto the end of
a 12 inch long barbeque poker -- works well for me

Regards,

Michael
Old July 30th 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 29, 8:16 pm, American Insurgent wrote:
Long shank screwdriver, available at a good electronics store, and no
Radio Shack does not count.

I got mine at OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware). I think they went
national when Sears bought them several years ago.

Old July 30th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I own a precursor (if that's a word for it?) of a General Electric
Super Radio I.It looks like a General Electric Super Radio (Superadio)
But, nowhere on that radio does it say Super Radio.(Superadio) I bought
it at a Service Merchandise store back in the 1980s.Not many years
later, the on/of push button that was on top of the radio, that button
croaked.I took it off and I threw it away.Then, I fished around in one
of my many, many junk boxes and I found an old toggle switched.I drilled
a hole in the back panel of the radio and I wired that cheap toggle
switch in.It works perfect, will last forever.I had a better Idea than
Geneal Electric radio departmental ever had.
cuhulin

Old July 30th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Get a piece of thick wire.Bend a loop in one end of the wire for a
handle.File the other end flat. (or take it out on the sidewalk and beat
it flat with a hammer,that's always the best way) And dress her up with
a file.
cuhulin

Old July 30th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Lossen those screws up as much as you can.(cuss em out too) Get a thin
blade screwdriver, or a dull kitchen table knife.Pry up under the heads
of those screws while loosening up some more on them with a
screwdriver.If those plastic heads under there are stripped, heat up
something on your kitchen stove and melt those plastic threads.when you
go to reinstall those metal threads,,,,,,,,
They might cut a ''new one'' just like I would love to do with that
divorced woman near Natchez,Mississippi.
cuhulin

Old July 31st 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jul 30, 12:12 pm, dxAce wrote:
Mark Zenier wrote:
In article om,
willismat wrote:
I picked one of these up at Goodwill for three bucks, and I need to
get inside of it to fix a speaker connection, but a couple of the
screws in the back won't turn for me (stripped, maybe?). Those of you
who have one know that they are very recessed into the plastic body of
the radio, and I can't figure out how to get them unscrewed. Any
suggestions, please?

1) See if they pull out with long-nose pliers.
2) Heat the head of the screw with a soldering iron and then let it cool.

Are you insane?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

WillisMat,

Turn the Radio so the Screw-Head are facing down :

1 - Tap the Radio to see -if- the Screws fall out.

2 - Use a Screwdriver with a Magentic Tip
and gently unscrew the screws while slowly
removing the Screwdriver.

hope this helps ~ RHF