Old September 23rd 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Chinese on AM 650?

"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 09:48:40 -0700, David Eduardo wrote:
Shhhh. Don't say it out loud or they may get ideas. WSM is now just about
at
the bottom billing-wise in Nashville (one of the gospel daytimers
outbills
it by double) so something that made them real money might just happen.
WSM
is the lowest billing of all the old 1-A clears and nearly the lowest of
all
the 98 stations in the US that have 50 kw at night.

'course, it could be they don't care... as long as people keep coming to
the Opry and the Opryland Hotel and buying stuff off their websites...

That is all they care about. The WSM website is pretty much a gareway to the
Opryland hype pages. I have not been to the hotel or the Opry for about 15
years or so, but it is truly a fun experience and a living piece of
Americana. Yet the radio station, today, is extraneous.

Back in the earliest days of radio, the bottom line didn't involve selling
advertising. It was about promoting your own business. You sold life
insurance? You built WSM or WLAC or WTIC & used your airtime to promote
your policies. You sold flour? Build WCCO and promote Gold Medal. You
ran a hotel and spa at Hot Springs, Arkansas? Build KTHS (now KAAY) and
urge tourists to town. Your goals are a bit lower? Use WSIX to sell
tires and tire repairs. I've read (though am not 100% certain this is
accurate) that the first sale of airtime to a third party wasn't until
1927, seven years after commercial broadcasting began. Until then,
"commercial" radio meant selling your own stuff, not somebody else's.

The modern equivalent is selling the name of every stadium, park and public
rest room to some company.

Sounds to me like Radio Disney bills essentially zero. But Disney is
keeping them around. Seems like they feel they're getting their money's
worth in promotion for Disney properties.

Disney stations cover expenses... a few bill several million on local sales,
and they do get national sales. The PPM allows them to show 6-12 numbers.,
too. But the main purpose of RD is to do brand enhancement.

(it does seem a bit unlikely that WSM could pull enough business for
Gaylord to support the station -- but the Opryland Hotel *does* do pretty
well...)

There is no documented night listening in the ratings in any US market. WSM
only shows in two markets outside Nashville, both contiguous to the home
market and both in the groundwave contour.

Old September 24th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 20:29:28 -0700, RHF
wrote:

On Sep 22, 5:53 pm, "Bebo" wrote:
I hooked my 80 meter dipole to my Sherwood receiver and was listening to
WSM....Grand Ole Opry outta Nashville on 650 when a Mandarin Chinese
station started coming in and out....Time here is 01:52 UTC

BOBO

BoBo,

Next time that this occurs :

1 - Select your Narrorest AM/SSB IF Filter on your Radios :

2 - Tune down from 650 kHz to 648 kHz

=IF= the Signal improves and the Listening is easier
then 'most likely' you have a "Non" North American
Chinese Language Medium Wave Radio Broadcaster.

+ Plus -if- you have USB & LSB - Try LSB on 648 kHz
to get rid of much of WSM on 650 kHz.

=IF= the Signal weakens and the Listening is more
difficult then 'most likely' you have a North American
Chinese Language AM/MW Radio Broadcaster.

hope this helps ~ RHF

Probably not.

First, why if the poster is "hearing" something in Chinese does it
have to be from China?

Second, let's establish exactly where the poster is located?

Third, what "standard" of receiver/antenna is the poster using?

Fourth, even if the poster has a reasonably sophisticated
receiver/antenna system, other factors could be at play (i.e.
receiver-generated garbage).

Fifth, more details are needed to even speculate on the source.

Sixth, even if in wildest dreams, the poster (supposedly in North
America) was in a receiving location that could log "direct from
China" 648, then WSB/650 would conversely be a virtual impossibility
at the same time.

Seventh, we need more information.

Oh, sorry, I repeat myself.

Yeah, I know... a wet blanket...

unnecessary tags snipped
Old September 24th 07, 02:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

On Sep 22, 5:53 pm, "Bebo" wrote:
[...]

Uh-oh, typing fingers don't work well on Sundays, their usual day off:
"WSM/650".
Old September 24th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Billy Smith" wrote in message

"Bebo" wrote in message
I hooked my 80 meter dipole to my Sherwood receiver and was listening to
WSM....Grand Ole Opry outta Nashville on 650 when a Mandarin Chinese
station started coming in and out....Time here is 01:52 UTC

BOBO

Possibly a Chinese station because some really strange conditions were on
last night both on 75 meters but also 40 meter ham bands. Considering that
we are getting longer nights in the Northern Hemisphere it is very
possible. At 9 PM eastern here it would be around 8 am to 10 am local
China time. Which would give the possibility of night path propagation.
Especially considering that it might be coming over the North Pole into
your station. It could always be a US based station or Canadian. Since
you've tried several radios with similar results. It sounds not to be a
receiver issue with images or something like that.

75 meters within a few hundred miles totally dropped out last night around
400 UTC and 40 meters was totally non existant. However, 160 meters was
quite good and this morning quite a bit of long distance DX work between
US and Australian stations is occuring. So perhaps the ionosphere is
favoring long distance DX. Its about time as things have been dead here in
the Midwest.

Here is something interesting that I found regarding the Chinese radio
situation. Any possibility it could be one of the mega transmitters for
hundreds of kilowatts.

I found a posting on asiawaves.net about a station used by Voice of
Russia/Voice of America. This transmitter is in the Far East of Russia near
Vladivostok which is far north and far east in Russia.

648 kHz
1000 kW RUSSIA Ussuriysk Voice of Russia / Voice of America (VOA)
Languages: Chinese, Korean
Directional antenna, azimuth 230 degrees Aug 2007

Old September 24th 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"Bebo" wrote in message
Dont think so David, Switched over to several other rigs and same
results....WSM came back in strong and is already fading back to
chinese...strange stuff!

If you have selectable sideband or at least SSB, you can check one thing.

If from China (either mainland or Taiwan), the station would actually be
on 648 KHz, rather than 650. If it is right on 650, then it's in the
Americas for sure.

Here's a list of stations on 648 in China... none look like they would
make it there..

648 kHz CHINA Changchun,
Jilin Province Changchun PBS, Children's & Elderly Life Station Sep
2007
648 kHz CHINA Chaoyang,
Liaoning Province Chaoyang PBS (Economic Broadcasting Station) Listed
648 kHz
50 kW CHINA Transmitting Station 522,
Liantang,
Huadu District,
Guangzhou [Canton],
Guangdong Province Guangdong PBS (Guangdong Satellite Broadcasting
Station) Aug 2007
648 kHz
1 kW CHINA Wangxiang Cun,
Ancheng,
Huainan,
Anhui Province Huainan PBS Aug 2007
648 kHz CHINA Daqiao Zhen,
Tanqiao District,
Jinan,
Shandong Province China National Radio, Voice of China (CNR-1 /
Zhongyang Renmin Guangbo Diantai, Zhongguo zhi Sheng) Transmitter
location: 36° 47' 29"N, 117° 00' 56"E Listed
648 kHz CHINA Kashgar [Kashi],
Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region Kashi PBS (Chinese Language
Programme) Listed
648 kHz
7.5 kW CHINA Shanghai Transmitting Station 3,
Yangpu,
Shanghai Shanghai PBS (Traffic Channel) //FM 105.7 MHz. Sep 2007
648 kHz CHINA Wuhu,
Anhui Province Anhui PBS (Life Service) Also listed on 603 kHz.
Listed

648 kHz
1000 kW RUSSIA Ussuriysk Voice of Russia / Voice of America (VOA)
Languages: Chinese, Korean
Directional antenna, azimuth 230 degrees Aug 2007

Rare DX catch but if the signal is coming over the dark parts of the earth,
it could be possible. Not to mention the ionospheric conditions were horrid
for any sort of HF activity especially 80 meters and above. Even during the
day, my 1500 foot longwire couldn't pick up much in the way of quality
signals on the HF bands. I will say that Jordan, Pakistan, India and other
stations came in quite well today.

Old September 24th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Billy Smith" wrote in message
Here is something interesting that I found regarding the Chinese radio
situation. Any possibility it could be one of the mega transmitters for
hundreds of kilowatts.

I found a posting on asiawaves.net about a station used by Voice of
Russia/Voice of America. This transmitter is in the Far East of Russia
near Vladivostok which is far north and far east in Russia.

648 kHz
1000 kW RUSSIA Ussuriysk Voice of Russia / Voice of America (VOA)
Languages: Chinese, Korean
Directional antenna, azimuth 230 degrees Aug 2007

Vladivostok is NE of my location, and I regularly hear a station on 810 near
there (when the Korean jammer is shut down). Never heard anything on 648
out of there, though.. their beam is pretty much due west, directly into
China, but can likely be heard in N. Korea as well. Not much chance of being
heard in the US, except MAYBE on the west coast using a directional EWE or
Beverage.

Old September 24th 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

So since you don't have receiver issues. It's either a US/Canada based
transmitter with Chinese programming or some extremely strange propagation
conditions is causing a severe fade where WSM is out of the picture. That
combined with a hundred of kilowatt transmitter may very well register China
for you. Did you get any place names or recording. That would be a great
catch though. Very near impossible under normal conditions but with the
radio comditions lately you never know.

"Bebo" wrote in message
Dont think so David, Switched over to several other rigs and same
results....WSM came back in strong and is already fading back to
chinese...strange stuff!
"David Eduardo" wrote in message

"Bebo" wrote in message
Kentucky

Sorry bout that!

"Bebo" wrote in message
I hooked my 80 meter dipole to my Sherwood receiver and was listening
to WSM....Grand Ole Opry outta Nashville on 650 when a Mandarin
Chinese station started coming in and out....Time here is 01:52 UTC

I don't believe mainland China has been heard in that region since the
early 50's, and that on a totally clear channel.

The possibilities for 650 would be some local station running programming
for a Chinese community in North America. There is a station near
Richmond, VA, with major power, but daytime. A low power station in MA,
and then a 250 watter in Houston are the North American stations... so
nothing licensed to 650 seems likely. Any chance you have some receiver
issues?

Old September 24th 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

[...]

I know that from here in Indiana it was very common in the past to receive
the Chinese People's Broadcasting Stations from as far as Lhasa, Kunming,
and other locations at this QTH. Of course, I have been working with a
1500-2000 foot long wire for quite a few years as well. I'm currently
planning to work with a full fledged Beverage Antenna to hook up and see
what I can find for MW Dx.

That above posting regarding the Vladivostok station is actually in
Ussuriysk about 100 miles south of Vladivostok. I find it strange as well
but I did notice that propagation was very strange. Seems that last evening
there was a severe fading problem even on 75 meters as I could not pick up
many stations within 500 miles. It is like the bands went very long and I
also noticed that 160 meters was open to Australia and Indonesia earlier on
Sunday morning local US time.

Old September 24th 07, 06:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:50:51 -0700, David Eduardo wrote:
'course, it could be they don't care... as long as people keep coming to
the Opry and the Opryland Hotel and buying stuff off their websites...

That is all they care about. The WSM website is pretty much a gareway to the
Opryland hype pages. I have not been to the hotel or the Opry for about 15
years or so, but it is truly a fun experience and a living piece of
Americana. Yet the radio station, today, is extraneous.

Oh, and probably the Ryman and the Wildhorse.

15 years is probably how long it's been since I've been to the Opry as
well. Visits to the hotel are a lot more frequent. Anyone who comes to
Nashville really should see it.

There is no documented night listening in the ratings in any US market. WSM
only shows in two markets outside Nashville, both contiguous to the home
market and both in the groundwave contour.

But again, if the idea of WSM is to draw visitors to Gaylord's tourist
properties in Nashville it may not be that important. Most of those
visitors bring their cars (as one learns to one's possible chagrin when
trying to drive up that stretch of Briley Parkway!) and one might presume
some portion is listening to WSM as they travel from site to site within
the city.
Old September 24th 07, 06:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

wrote:

On Sep 22, 5:53 pm, "Bebo" wrote:
[...]

A Good Thing To Have - When You Are On Fire ~ RHF

unnecessary tags snipped- Hide quoted text -

FS: Chinese 102E AC PS K3HVG Boatanchors 0 March 27th 07 01:32 AM
Chinese Pingyao ƽң518 Shortwave 0 March 23rd 07 02:32 AM
Chinese AR88 MRe Boatanchors 7 December 23rd 06 01:42 AM
Chinese AR88 Dale Boatanchors 0 December 22nd 06 12:18 PM
OT - Chinese food Steveo CB 2 February 29th 04 12:22 AM