RadioBanter

-   -   HD radio won't just go away. (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/125333-hd-radio-wont-just-go-away.html)

Telamon September 30th 07 07:54 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message

Snip

And to me, you're just another arrogant S.O.B who can't look beyond his
office to realize that everyone around him is thinking the same thing:

No, only the nutjobs like dxAss and Telamon and Steve refuse to realize how
radio is used today, and the changes the industry has to make to survive...
and that said survival will likely not include AM in the long run.

Oh I see I'm a nut job and not a listener. You don't get much right do
you. How do you expect to survive when you are so confused.

The fact is, I speak with real listeners every week, and have a pretty good
idea what they want today, based on tens of thousands of yearly interviews.
Here, there are some who seem to have an intimate relationship with their
TenTec and have no idea what real people do, and how stations today have to
serve them.

You seem to have a real problem with the fact that I have an RX340.
Sounds like jealousy to me.

And I'm not a real listener. Funny man.

Well Bozo. I am a listener and I know what I want and it's not a serving
of your BS.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

David Eduardo[_4_] September 30th 07 08:04 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

"RHF" wrote in message
ups.com...

Since most 'folks' here are over 50 or around 50 :

No Body Here Listens To You - d'Eduardo ! ~ RHF

You just pointed out something that the engineer who gave a radio club a
tour a few years ago mentioned.... there are no young DXers any more.

I'm sure some of it is that there is no appeal of AM at all to young people,
whether they be teens or young adults, so they would not discover AM skip in
any case, But there has to be more to this than just what is on the radio.

A parallel would be the number of people who in the mid to late 80's into
the 90's built their own computers. There were parts places all over,
magazines filled with ads for cases and fans.... now there is nearly
nothing.

David Eduardo[_4_] September 30th 07 08:06 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
And, by the way.....

David Eduardo wrote:

Your experiences of a decade or more ago have little to do with the
current situation,

Actually, I worked for CBS until December 20, 1999. The last contract
work I did for them was in 2001.

The last work I did for WLS was some production this spring.

Not exactly a decade or more ago, Brother David.

But your sales experience is very dated. The days when country was not
automatically on a 25-54 buy have been gone for some time.... even longer
than the "Black" dictates.

Eric F. Richards September 30th 07 08:11 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

"David Eduardo" wrote:

And an FM can not provide the needed service in the Minneapolis case? [...]

FMs are highly viable still; with few exceptions, AMs are not.

People listened for content. You and your buddies at iBiquity have
destroyed the quality -- what there was -- of the remaining content.
Most people are now listening to their digial audio players, not to
the FMs.

They won't get the news.

--
Eric F. Richards,
"It's the Din of iBiquity." -- Frank Dresser

David Eduardo[_4_] September 30th 07 08:16 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

"Telamon" wrote in message

No, only the nutjobs like dxAss and Telamon and Steve refuse to realize
how
radio is used today, and the changes the industry has to make to
survive...
and that said survival will likely not include AM in the long run.

Oh I see I'm a nut job and not a listener. You don't get much right do
you. How do you expect to survive when you are so confused.

You are not a "typical" listener by any means. The term "broad" in
broadcasting is there for a reason, and radio can not nor has it ever been
able to serve very tiny niche listener groups.

But I think you are off the deep end because of your denial of ratings,
inability to see that if there is no listening of conseuence beyond a
certain signal intensity, there must be a truth there, and your idea that
knowing wave and propagation theory is somehow necessary to understanding
that listeners don't tune to weak signals.

The fact is, I speak with real listeners every week, and have a pretty
good
idea what they want today, based on tens of thousands of yearly
interviews.
Here, there are some who seem to have an intimate relationship with their
TenTec and have no idea what real people do, and how stations today have
serve them.

You seem to have a real problem with the fact that I have an RX340.
Sounds like jealousy to me.

No, I think anything over the price of a Drake or AOR is the equivalent of
buying a Bentley. Nice if you can afford it, but not worth the extra $200 k
over a BMW or Benz. I am not saying it is a waste of money if you are very
rich, but I sure would not buy one.

My real point is that even in the DX community such a radio is rare. Among
listeners to commercial stations, so rare as to be freaky.

And I'm not a real listener. Funny man.

No, you are not. You are way to into the subject, albeit woefully
misinformed, to be a "real" listener. Real listeners seldom remember call
letters (unless they are over 50) and round dial positions and don't know
station locations or slogans half the time. Radio is an accompanyment to
other activities, and used like a utility.

Well Bozo. I am a listener and I know what I want and it's not a serving
of your BS.

You might as well give up, as you are not getting what you want from
terrestrial radio. I'm surprised you even engage in off air reception,
anyway.

Ratings wise, radio geeks are like contest pigs... very noisy, but they
contribute nothing to ratings or our livelihood.

David Eduardo[_4_] September 30th 07 08:19 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

"Eric F. Richards" wrote in message
"David Eduardo" wrote:

And an FM can not provide the needed service in the Minneapolis case?
[...]

FMs are highly viable still; with few exceptions, AMs are not.

People listened for content. You and your buddies at iBiquity have
destroyed the quality -- what there was -- of the remaining content.
Most people are now listening to their digial audio players, not to
the FMs.

They won't get the news.

How has iBiquity destroyed the quality of FM? There is no degradation of the
FM analog signal to add HD, and saying so is an exaggeration or a lie.

Most people, as in 96% of them, are listening to the radio each week....
same as 1965 when Arbiytron began.

D Peter Maus September 30th 07 08:21 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

David Eduardo wrote:

Your experiences of a decade or more ago have little to do with the
current situation,

Actually, I worked for CBS until December 20, 1999. The last contract
work I did for them was in 2001.

The last work I did for WLS was some production this spring.

Not exactly a decade or more ago, Brother David.

But your sales experience is very dated. The days when country was not
automatically on a 25-54 buy have been gone for some time.... even longer
than the "Black" dictates.

LOL!

I've been in the business since I was 6, some of my experiences are
going to be very old.

That certainly doesn't mean all of them are. I'm not working in the
50's, here.

"But if it makes you more comfortable to think so, by all means...you
be comfortable."

-- John Newland.

RHF September 30th 07 08:25 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

On Sep 29, 3:31 pm, SFTV_troy wrote:
On Sep 29, 2:46 pm, Telamon

wrote:
In article om,

SFTV_troy wrote:
Rfburns wrote:
Despite the fact that both the AM and FM versions of HD radio are a
good example of out-of -control technology that nobody really wants,
the FCC has mandated that all broadcasting will be digital.
Therefore, I see no turning back regardless of what the consumer does
or doesn't want or understand.

Switching to digital just makes sense.

Really? And just how does that make sense?

Digital makes better use of the limited space available.

How does a digital mode do that?

Analog modes are inefficient, because they waste bandwidth sending
sounds you can not hear. Digital only removes that extraneous
information, and thus uses the space more efficiently. Which is why a
digital radio like HD can squeeze 5 channels into the same space as 2-
channel FM. ----- Or five FM-quality (64 kbps each) programs into
the space of 1 FM channel.

Digital psychoacoustic modeling is more efficient (sends only sounds
you can hear), than the older inefficient analog modulations (that
waste space sending sound you can't hear).

Digital Psychoacoustic Modeling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoacoustic_model

With digital the FM band would effectively triple or even quadruple
the number of channels on the dial. (Alternatively Classical FM
stations could boost the sound from 2 channel stereo to 5.1
surround.)

Do you understand the consequences of what you propose?
Apparently you do not.

- No, because I can not read your mind.
- Please explain the consequences.

That's An Evasive Answer - Please Answer The Question.

How do you know that going to a digital mode of transmission would be
good for the consumer? You don't think there is a down side?

Was there a downside to upgrading from Cassettes to CDs? No. Was
there a downside to upgrading from analog VHS to digital DVDs? No.
Was there a downside to upgrading from analog radio to Digital
satellite radio? No. (I could go on-and-on with other examples like
digital MP3s and Ipods and Internet radio and.....)

- To date, I've not seen a downside to abandoning Analog
- format and adopting new Digital ones.

Turn in an Analog AM/MW Radio and tune every 10 kHz
from 530 kHz to 1710 kHz and Listen to what you hear
on each and every 10 kHz Radio Station Channel :
That Buzz Noise Hash that was not there 1-2-3 Years
Ago is the IBOC Digital Signal either In-Channel -or-
from the Adjacent Channels.

But I'm sure you have some.
What are the downsides?

Listen to On-the-Air AM/MW Radio and Learn for Yourself.

I want to see FM upgraded with three to four times more programs to
choose from.

How wonderful. What a simply splendid idea. I just
have to ask why you think this is such a great idea?

Already answered in my previous post.- Hide quoted text -

Telamon September 30th 07 08:27 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
.
..

I just do not believe your contention that the numbers of people
that listen to night time AMBCB are small. I think there is a
great deal of regional listening at night and non-local stations
during the day where reception is of good quality such as where
I live on the coast. There are plenty of people that listen to
stations that are not local in order to hear a program not
broadcast locally.

There are no facts to support your contention. Listening to out of
market stations is very small (by the way, Ventura, Riverside West
and San Bernardino West are all in the LA DMA... the metro
definition that matches the TV metro area). Still, in your county,
there is pretty limited in-market listening to out of market
stations.

You have no facts to support your contention since all the waking
hours revolve around the commercial radio books. The statistics you
look at don't address the regional listening. Now don't go back on
the word of your previous posts.

You have a mistaken impression of radio audience measurement.

Snip

You misrepresent the facts to support your arguments as needed. You tell
me I don't hear the stations I listen to because they are so weak as to
be DX and nobody would spend time listening to them. You are full of it.

You don't seem to know what reception on the west coast is like so
either you don't listen to AM at all or you don't live on the west
coast. Which is it?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

RHF September 30th 07 08:28 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

On Sep 29, 4:55 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Telamon" wrote in message

Why should more channels of the same content be something people would
want?

That's just it! The HD 2 channels in most markets are totally
non-duplicative of the Analog/HD1 channel content. NY has, for example,
things like traditional jazz, country, classic hip hop, 50's and early 60's
oldies, standards, etc. that are not available on main channels.

IMHO - HD2 Channels should be TV Audio Sound.