Old November 21st 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Analog versus DSP

On Nov 21, 6:55 am, wrote:
wrote

Regarding ringing, the sharper the filter, the more it rings. You
can't fight physics. I really annoys me how people think digital is
the solution to everything without really understanding the nuances.

You have obviously never worked a top line radio like the Icom IC-756
PRO III on CW with a narrow DSP filter. I assure you that even as
narrow as 50 hertz
THERE IS NO RINGING
If you don't believe me I am quite prepared to e-mail anyone an MP3
recording of the 50 Hertz filter working a beacon.

I also have many DX mates who work CW beacons and use Timewave DSP
filters right down to 8 hertz and I have never heard them complain of
ringing.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop, PAORDT Roelof mini-whiphttp://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

I have a JSP digital. Narrow the BW down, it rings. Believe whatever
you want, but you can't fight physics.

Now there is a trick you can do on beacons to get less ringing, but it
is a noncausal solution. If you are just IDing beacons, you don't need
real time DSP. Recprd the audio on your PC. You reverse the audio,
filter it, reverse it again, then filter again. This puts some of the
filter artifacts before the beacon pings, rather than all the
artifacts occuring after the ping. No DSP in a radio can do this.

See, I like DSP, but I use it where it does some good. I don't hammer
with a screw driver.

Old November 21st 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 21, 1:04 pm, wrote:
Excellent information! This has really helped me in my decision making
process.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Icom, but I have a white paper on
the 7030+ on order from the folks who publish Passport to World Band
Radio, so I think I'll hold my final decision until I read it.

In fact, if the review in the while paper is good, I might just invoke
Jerry's Law: "If you can't decide between two choices, buy both!"

Dear Sir,

Regardless of your final choice, I wish you the very best of luck. A
"top" receiver is a tough decision to make, but, with the high quality
receivers available, and with some research (which you are doing), it
can be said that it would be near impossible to make a totally "wrong"
decision. This process is the one in which I engaged (for quite a
number of years!) and, as you know, I have been very pleased with my
choice (as, evidently, John Plimmer has been with his).

Read PASSPORT's "White Paper" carefully. It has a wealth of
information (though the comment about a "built-in" telescopic whip is
incorrect; there is no such thing. A telescopic whip can be bought
separately from Haydon Communications in the UK
http://www.haydon.info/29_shortwave_antennas.htm and the antenna
switch on the AOR AR7030 'Plus' has a position for this. Of course,
such an antenna would only be used if you were taking the receiver
away from its "home base" - for use, for example, outdoors in your
yard. (I have one of these whip antennas. I tried it once and it works
as well as to be expected. After trying it, I put it away and I have
never used it again. But it's there if necessary!)

Should you still be undecided after reading the AR7030 'Plus' "White
Paper," let me suggest again that you contact Richard Hillier at AOR-
UK either by e-mail or, better still, by telephone
011 44 1629 581222 (remembering the time difference). OBVIOUSLY,
he will not give you "unbiased" information about the ICOM IC-756 Pro
III (or the AR7030 'Plus' for that matter!) - but, by discussing your
specific needs with him, he, being extremely knowledgeable and
enthusiastic about his receiver and about shortwave listening in
general, will be able to help you greatly and then you will be in a
much better position to make a more informed final and clear choice.

I also suggest that, if you have not already done so, you go to the
AOR-UK web site and download the two instruction manuals for the
AR7030 'Plus.' You can then see how it works and a complete listing of
its specifications. The web site also shows the options available for
the radio, some of which are not available through Universal Radio,
and quite a bit of other, very useful, information (including service
bulletins and, in effect, the entire service manual) which will at
least help you in your understanding of this particular receiver.

I do not know if ICOM has similar information on its web site (or if
there is someone knowledgeable to whom you can speak), but, if there
is, I should suggest you obtain as much information about the IC-756
Pro III as you can.

As I said, in my opinion, you'll not make a "bad" choice. And again I
wish you the very best of luck in your decision. I know you are going
to have many, many enjoyable years ahead of you with either of these
receivers. And, if you can indeed afford to buy both, well, my
blessings upon you!

After all that, of course, comes the decision about the antenna(s) ...

Best,

Joe
Old November 21st 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 21, 8:04 pm, wrote:
Excellent information! This has really helped me in my decision making
process.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Icom, but I have a white paper on
the 7030+ on order from the folks who publish Passport to World Band
Radio, so I think I'll hold my final decision until I read it.

In fact, if the review in the while paper is good, I might just invoke
Jerry's Law: "If you can't decide between two choices, buy both!"

Well if you buy both one is going to gather dust in a corner, and it
wont be the
Icom IC-756 PRO III.................!!!

If you do a Google on the 756Pro3 you will find a wealth of info.
A good start is
http://www.ab4oj.com/icom/main.html
Have fun and good DX from
John Plimmer, Montagu, South Africa
Old November 21st 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 21, 1:04 pm, wrote:
Excellent information! This has really helped me in my decision making
process.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Icom, but I have a white paper on
the 7030+ on order from the folks who publish Passport to World Band
Radio, so I think I'll hold my final decision until I read it.

In fact, if the review in the while paper is good, I might just invoke
Jerry's Law: "If you can't decide between two choices, buy both!"

Holy cow...if you have that much dough to play with maybe you should
look at some military grade equipment:

http://www.drs-ss.com/products/information.php?id=39
Old November 26th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Thanks for the useful information, everyone.

I bought an Icom 756Pro-III this weekend and so far am enjoying it
greatly.

Mixing high side versus low side and (f1 - f2) versus (f1 + f2) [email protected] Homebrew 6 July 18th 07 02:44 AM
796 versus 780 4phun@goggle-labs-groups2 Scanner 3 June 2nd 04 01:07 AM
IC-735 versus IC-726 Dan Dx 6 May 25th 04 02:18 PM
IC-735 versus IC-726 Dan Dx 0 May 24th 04 11:32 PM
ic-735 versus ic-726 Dan General 0 May 24th 04 12:08 AM