Old November 26th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default AR-7030+, and some random thoughts.

Hello.

Yours is a fine, well-reasoned posting and echoes my sentiments
exactly. There are a few very fine shortwave receivers being
manufactured today of which the AOR AR7030 'Plus' is one.

But, as you said, it may not be for everyone. Nonetheless, I feel that
there is no need for someone to make even "snide' comments about this
particular (or any other) receiver even if it is not your particular
cup of tea.

The only situation where negative or pejorative comments are warranted
is when a particular receiver has a design or construction flaw of
which other readers here may need to be made aware. This could also
apply to poor performance experienced by an owner by a particular
manufacturer, service department, or dealer.

But, as you so aptly stated, each of us has our own particular
favorites - and who is to say which is "best?"

I just dislike seeing my (or anyone's, for that matter) favorite being
"knocked" for no apparent reason. That was the crux of my argument.

Thank you again for this posting. I hope many people here take it to
heart.

Best,

Joe
Old December 3rd 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Joe Analssandrini wrote:

The only situation where negative or pejorative comments are warranted
is when a particular receiver has a design or construction flaw of
which other readers here may need to be made aware. This could also
apply to poor performance experienced by an owner by a particular
manufacturer, service department, or dealer.

And this is exactly the reason why I obsessively "knocked" one
particular radio, because I found that, while it was a fine performer
when testing it at the shop, it fell far short when I put it to my
real-world use.

Unfortunately, it has a cult following, so if I mention its model
number, people crawl out of the woodwork to defend it.

As for actually shedding light on the situation, I got to talk to Bob
Sherwood (who does testing for PWBR) at a hamfest about it and he was
surprised at the things I described. He wondered if I had a bad unit.
By that time, I'd sold it already, so I couldn't let him have a look
at it.

The end result was that it was no longer worth my time to argue
performance against religious zealotry.

--
Eric F. Richards,
"It's the Din of iBiquity." -- Frank Dresser
Old December 3rd 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 3, 10:44 am, Eric F. Richards wrote:
Joe Analssandrini wrote:

[...]

I hope you called the folks at Eton and told them about the experience.
Old December 3rd 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Steve wrote:

I hope you called the folks at Eton and told them about the experience.

I've never used an Eton radio. Why would they, or I, care?

My providing info on that radio was strictly for r.r.s readers.

--
Eric F. Richards

"This book reads like a headache on paper."
http://www.cnn.com/2001/CAREER/readi...one/index.html
Old December 3rd 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 3, 6:06 pm, Eric F. Richards wrote:
Steve wrote:

I hope you called the folks at Eton and told them about the experience.

I've never used an Eton radio. Why would they, or I, care?

My providing info on that radio was strictly for r.r.s readers.

--
Eric F. Richards

"This book reads like a headache on paper."www.cnn.com/2001/CAREER/readingup/08/14/getting.things.done/index.html

Okay...my mistake...for some reason I thought I remembered you talking
about an Eton radio. Must have been someone else.

Old December 4th 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

-
- Unfortunately, it has a cult following, so if I mention
- its model number, people crawl out of the woodwork to
- defend it.
-
- As for actually shedding light on the situation, I got
- to talk to Bob Sherwood (who does testing for PWBR) at
- a hamfest about it and he was surprised at the things
- I described. He wondered if I had a bad unit.
- By that time, I'd sold it already, so I couldn't let
- him have a look at it.
-
- The end result was that it was no longer worth my time
- to argue performance against religious zealotry.
-
- --
- Eric F. Richards,
- "It's the Din of iBiquity." -- Frank Dresser
-

EFR -Warning- If You Say The Magic Words "Icom IC-R75"
.. . . The 'phil ' Will Appear ! ~ RHF
http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/m...iser/19112.jpg

AR-7030+, and some random thoughts. msg Shortwave 2 November 27th 07 06:47 PM
Random blogs with random thoughts Not Lloyd General 7 August 10th 06 02:04 PM
Random blogs with random thoughts Not Lloyd Policy 7 August 10th 06 02:04 PM
AOR-AR-7030 FS Used David Shortwave 0 November 26th 05 07:24 PM
AOR 7030 Richard Shortwave 3 May 30th 05 09:49 PM