Old November 29th 07, 02:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Ferrite rod antennas

I am wondering if a large ferrite rod would be good antenna for maybe
MW and 160meter band. I see there are some larger rods available on
the net. Would there be an advantage to using a few rods glued
together? I like performance of MW loop but it just isn't very
directional. If anybody has any first hand experience or links on www
I would like to hear.

NEO

Old November 29th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 28, 9:58 pm, N9NEO wrote:
I am wondering if a large ferrite rod would be good antenna for maybe
MW and 160meter band. I see there are some larger rods available on
the net. Would there be an advantage to using a few rods glued
together? I like performance of MW loop but it just isn't very
directional. If anybody has any first hand experience or links on www
I would like to hear.

NEO

Go to www.stormwise.com if you want to pick up some large ferrite
rods. They also sell variable capacitors.
Old November 29th 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 28, 9:58�pm, N9NEO wrote:
I am wondering if a large ferrite rod would be good antenna for maybe
MW and 160meter band. �I see there are some larger rods available on
the net. �Would there be an advantage to using a few rods glued
together? �I like performance of MW loop but it just isn't very
directional. �If anybody has any first hand experience or links on www
I would like to hear.

NEO

I was wondering about the length of Eduardo's rod...
Old November 29th 07, 07:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default IBOC Crock : In-Search-Of a "Rod" . . .

On Nov 28, 8:08 pm, IBOCcrock wrote:
-
- I was wondering about the length of Eduardo's rod...
-

IBOC Crock - Once Again Please Do Not Post your Sexual
Fantasies to this Shortwave Radio Listener's Newsgroup.

Clearly -if- d'Eduardo wanted you to know the 'length of
{His} Eduardo's rod...' he would have told you by now.

Just Proves the Point - Any Who Is "Anti" Free Over-the-Air
AM & FM Radio has some real personal issues.

iboc crock - please confine your sexual weirdness
in your cubicle {toilet} at work ~ RHF
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thu...n_a_toilet.jpg
Old November 29th 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

in your cubicle {toilet} at work ~ RHFhttp://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1734967/2/istockph...
.

http://republika.pl/blog_cf_450108/7...z/****-off.jpg

Old November 30th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 28, 9:58 pm, N9NEO wrote:
I am wondering if a large ferrite rod would be good antenna for maybe
MW and 160meter band. Would there be an advantage to using a few rods glued
together?

In the "ARRL Antenna Compendium, Vol. 6", there is an article
describing a tuned, ferrite rod, magnetic receiving loop antenna -
"The Optima 160/80-Meter Receive Antenna" by Richard Marris, G2BZQ.

THE author glues ferrite rods together exactly as you propose.

I never built or used one so I cannot comment on its perforance.

Terry
W8EJO
Old November 30th 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Nov 29, 9:55 am, IBOCcrock wrote:
On Nov 29, 2:08 am, RHF wrote:

On Nov 28, 8:08 pm, IBOCcrock wrote:
-
- I was wondering about the length of Eduardo's rod...
-

IBOC Crock - Once Again Please Do Not Post your Sexual
Fantasies to this Shortwave Radio Listener's Newsgroup.

Clearly -if- d'Eduardo wanted you to know the 'length of
{His} Eduardo's rod...' he would have told you by now.

Just Proves the Point - Any Who Is "Anti" Free Over-the-Air
AM & FM Radio has some real personal issues.

iboc crock - please confine your sexual weirdness
in your cubicle {toilet} at work ~ RHFhttp://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1734967/2/istockph...
.

-
- http://republika.pl/blog_cf_450108/7...z/****-off.jpg
-

IBOC Crock - You really should use more Make-Up :
http://republika.pl/blog_cf_450108/7...z/****-off.jpg
When you pose for Close-Up Pictures. ~ RHF
Old December 1st 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
Harry7 wrote:

On Nov 28, 9:58 pm, N9NEO wrote:
I am wondering if a large ferrite rod would be good antenna for maybe
MW and 160meter band. Would there be an advantage to using a few rods
glued
together?

In the "ARRL Antenna Compendium, Vol. 6", there is an article
describing a tuned, ferrite rod, magnetic receiving loop antenna -
"The Optima 160/80-Meter Receive Antenna" by Richard Marris, G2BZQ.

THE author glues ferrite rods together exactly as you propose.

I never built or used one so I cannot comment on its perforance.

Gluing them together is a bad idea as you can not control the gap
between the rods. This small gap will ruin the inductance of the
combined rods and as a consequence the Q of this antenna.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old December 4th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 30, 10:18 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

Harry7 wrote:
On Nov 28, 9:58 pm, N9NEO wrote:
I am wondering if a large ferrite rod would be good antenna for maybe
MW and 160meter band. Would there be an advantage to using a few rods
glued
together?

In the "ARRL Antenna Compendium, Vol. 6", there is an article
describing a tuned, ferrite rod, magnetic receiving loop antenna -
"The Optima 160/80-Meter Receive Antenna" by Richard Marris, G2BZQ.

THE author glues ferrite rods together exactly as you propose.

I never built or used one so I cannot comment on its perforance.

Gluing them together is a bad idea as you can not control the gap
between the rods. This small gap will ruin the inductance of the
combined rods and as a consequence the Q of this antenna.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California- Hide quoted text -

Telemon,

The rod isn't a closed loop like a toroid so the the gap on the rod is
the distance from one face to the other. If we start with say a 7"
rod then what difference is .050" of glue going to make when we glue
to together to make a 14incher? I was thinking of maybe a series
parallel combination of a dozen or so.

regards,
NEO
Old December 4th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 4, 5:41 pm, N9NEO wrote:
On Nov 30, 10:18 pm, Telamon

wrote:
In article
,

Harry7 wrote:
On Nov 28, 9:58 pm, N9NEO wrote:
[...]

McKay-Dymic offered two ferrite loop antennas.
The DA5 covered MW, the DA7 covered LW and MW.
I own one that is on semi permanent loan to a neighbor.

It has a ferrite rod about .75" X ~12"or 14" long.
And by adding or removing turns on the coil on the rod, I could
easily get it to work up to 2.5MHz to receive WWV. It crapped
out around 5.0MHz, I could receive WWV on 5, but the sensitivity
was way down.

Storm wise sells large ferrite rods,and others have had good success
gluing similar short rods end to end and binding them like a group of
pencils griped in your hand.

The reason why the DA5 is on loan is Dallas Lankford's simpler active
dipole beat the snot out of it.

Good luck.
Terry