Old April 24th 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default This Grundig a good "beginner radio"?

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 01:27:42 UTC, Hacienda de Ville
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 14:40:21 -0400, "Jim Driscoll"
wrote:

Like many others, I would recommend the Kaito KA 2100 if you like the S350
sound. Tuning is rock stable and performance is quite surprising for the
price.

The Kaito 2100 or Redsun 2100?

Also, I forgot to ask this. In additon to SW and SSB listening, I
really would like to have a radio that can pull in distant AM stations
if that is possible. I don't want to offend anyone, but I like radio
talk show host, Michael Savage and our city dropped him in favor of
Michael Levine. As I tune around AM with my cheapy pocket radio, I can
faintly hear Savage, so I imagine a radio that can pull in far-away AM
stations might make hearing him easier.

With that in mind, does that change anyone's recommendation? I have
figured I can afford up to about $150 or so for the radio. Again, I
would like for it to be able to be carried around in the car without
having a "dolly" to move it.

Thanks, everyone, for your continued comments/suggestions.

Haci

I bought the GE SuperRadio III at Ace Hardware for $49 dollars, and it
brings in the entire east coast and midwest at night. Not to great on
tuning dial accuracy, but you can rely on station ID's for that
information.
Old April 24th 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default BCL - Newbie - AM/MW Radio Stations : By Frequency : By Call Letters

On Apr 24, 9:01*am, "Count Floyd"
wrote:

* * * S N I P * * *

- I bought the GE SuperRadio III at Ace Hardware for $49
- dollars, and it brings in the entire east coast and midwest
- at night. *Not to great on tuning dial accuracy, but you can
- rely on station ID's for that information.

CF,

Create your own Tuning Dial Index by Noting where
the Major Power-House Radio Stations are on the
Radio Dial and use them to 'calculate' the in-be-tweens.

USA MAP - AM/MW Radio Stations
These 'were' the AM {Medium Wave} Radio Band's
Power House Broadcasters rated at 50 KW of Power.
http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/bl...rp/amradio.htm

* AM/MW Radio Stations - By Frequency
http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/bl...amrp/freq.htm#

* AM/MW Radio Stations - By Call Letters
http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/bl...amrp/call.htm#

* AM/MW Radio Stations - By City
http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/bl...amrp/city.htm#

* AM/MW Radio Stations - By State
http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/bl...mrp/state.htm#

+ Plus "INFO" {About} AM Band DXing
http://www.dxing.com/amband.htm

That-Something-Extra - AM-DX.Com -website-
AM DX = http://www.am-dx.com/
Distant AM/MW Radio Station Reception
Focus Broadcast Radio Stations on the Long Wave and
AM / Medium Wave Bands Coverage : 150 kHz to 1800 kHz

READ : AM Radio Station Info :
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...34e3c158b06fa5
+ Radio-Locator
+ FCC
+ Where's That Station
+ AM {Medium Wave} DXing
+ Prime Time Shortwave
+ NASWA WWW Shortwave Listening Guide
- - - and A Lot More . . .

Point-of-Fact - Many/Most AM/MW Dxers do very well with :
AM/MW Radio + AM/MW Loop Antenna & Lazy Susan
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...a6216735dfa9d3

hope this helps iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
.
Are You Interested in building a better Shortwave Listening*
(SWL) Antenna ? {SWL Group} = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Old April 24th 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I have both the GE SRIII and the Redsun RP2100 (Kaito KA2100 and CC
Crane SW). The SRIII is good but very hissy and the dial calibration
is so poor it is really tedious to DX the MW band with though. I did
once get WWKB Buffalo N.Y. with it barefoot, but since I got the much
better RP2100 the SRIII is now confined to the kitchen.

The RP2100 is superb for VERY long distance MW DX and is a pure joy to
own and operate. Highly recommended - very quiet on long distance
reception too.

It's also superb for DXing distant FM stations, although it's HF SW
reception is average, about the same as the Sony 7600.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7700, Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8. ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

wrote:

[...]

information.- Hide quoted text -

Old April 24th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 17:52:05 UTC, wrote:

[...]

Hello John,
What is the difference in the Degen/Kaito/Redsun radio line? Are they
all the same? I saw that CCrane has a special on fixing the Super
Radio III to make it more accurate on the dial and to fix the tone
control problems, probably that "hissing" sound you mentioned. They
charge $10 for that service, wonder if it is worth it? I have found
the tuning "touchy" and I compared my old DX-440 on MW and found it to
be excellent, and with digital readout!
Bob Grimes
Old April 24th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hello John,
What is the difference in the Degen/Kaito/Redsun radio line? *Are they
all the same? I saw that CCrane has a special on fixing the Super
Radio III to make it more accurate on the dial and to fix the tone
control problems, probably that "hissing" sound you mentioned. *They
charge $10 for that service, wonder if it is worth it? *I have found
the tuning "touchy" and I compared my old DX-440 on MW and found it to
be excellent, and with digital readout!
Bob Grimes- Hide quoted text -

Yes, they are all the same despite CC Crane's advertising hype.

As for the SRIII upgrade for $10 = sounds reasonable, but I really
can't get serious or enthusiastic about DXing the MW band and the 9/10
splits without an accurate digital readout. Get a Kaito KA2100 and
you'll be a very happy chappy indeed.

John Plimmer, Montagu, South Africa

Old May 8th 08, 04:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dBc dBc is offline

Greetings Hacienda de Ville..

Something to consider..

"Due to school, I don't have the time to devote to research as I would
like.."

I'll bet that you wouldn't like repeating classes. Get the school work
done first, concern yourself about the leisurely world of shortwave
listening as a much distant priority! Keep those priorities straight
and it will serve you well in the long run! Meanwhile, have some
patience, keep your eye out for and you'll probably come across a
fairly good deal on a radio in less time than you think.

Cheers,
Mr. Mentor

"Hacienda de Ville" wrote in
message ...
| On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:47:06 -0700 (PDT), RHF
| wrote:
|
| On Apr 23, 11:01 am, Igor wrote:
| On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 12:42:05 -0400, Hacienda de Ville wrote:
| As you know I have been looking for a good "starter" SW radio
and have
| no luck with my first choice, the Kaito K11. Due to school, I
don't
| have the time to devote to research as I would like, but I am
doing
| some. I have found one radio that appeals to me and would like
your
| opinions on it. Even though I know it is not the smallest
radio, I

Old May 8th 08, 04:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Why does the schematic paper thingy in my Grundig
AM/FM/Shortwave/Phonograph wooden cabinet floor model radio refer to
Telefunken and not Grundig? The schematic paper does not mention Grundig
anywhere.I think the radio dates back to 1957, according to a date which
is in the owners operators booklet.Did Telefunken manufacture some of
the parts of the radio, or the whole chassis?
cuhulin

Old May 8th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dBc dBc is offline

Greetings cuhulin & others..

Some review of their history may be in order:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telefunken

Compare and contrast..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grundig

Cheers,