Old July 18th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default How can I tell if mine works?

HF propagation wrote:

Try the AM broadcast band first (band switch at 1.0 MHz).Set the
RF gain to 3 o'clock. Set the AF at 9 o'clk.Notch at 12 o,clk. PBT and
RIT at 12 o'clock (center) Set selectivity at 4 KHz(or 2.3 in case
if the filter slot is empty) Aux program set for normal. Mute/rec
pushed in.

No, if the mute button is pushed in, one will receive nothing on an R7/A.

Praamp off(not depressed).AM same.Speaker-has a built-in
monitoring unit, it is MUCH better with an outbord speaker fed from a
standard 1/4inch audio jack (in the back). The bottom row of push
switches such as cal,nb ,agc,count ad rit sre left inoff(not depressed).
Now, plug in the AC power cord and connect to ANY piece of wire over 1o
feet long to an rca jack(in the back) labeled main and set the antenna
switch to position main... You have found
one hell of a radio !!!

Old July 19th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I understand what you mean, but the R7 can handle at least 1V of RF at the
antenna terminals berfore clipping of the I.F. system occurs. What this
means is that the R7 has no problem handling MW signals, even if you are "on
top" of the radio station.
About the only failures that occur are failure of the LED displays and
failure of the 24V power supply rail for the VCO tune voltage. Ok, these are
the main failures. You still have the oxidized Molex connectors.

Pete

"HF propagation" wrote in message
AM signals are too strong to set the RF gain at maximum ... just
wondering if his R7A is good, usually they last a long time if
maintained properly.

Old July 20th 08, 10:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

HF propagation wrote:

AM signals are too strong to set the RF gain at maximum ...

If that is indeed the case there must be a problem.

I"m not familiar with R7x, but on my R8, if the AGC is switched off,
MW signals will block with full RF gain.

Is R7x similar enough to R8x that could be the case?

Old July 20th 08, 11:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D Peter Maus wrote:

dxAce wrote:

HF propagation wrote:

AM signals are too strong to set the RF gain at maximum ...

If that is indeed the case there must be a problem.

I"m not familiar with R7x, but on my R8, if the AGC is switched off,
MW signals will block with full RF gain.

Is R7x similar enough to R8x that could be the case?

Yes, that could certainly be the case if the AGC were switched completely off.
That can be a good reception technique, but then of course the RF gain has to be
lowered.
But with the AGC on, the R7/A can handle most anything and should not be
experiencing blocking with the RF gain set completely clockwise.

Old July 20th 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 20, 6:34*am, dxAce wrote:
D Peter Maus wrote:
dxAce wrote:

HF propagation wrote:

AM signals are too strong to set *the RF gain at maximum ...

If that is indeed the case there must be a problem.

* *I"m not familiar with R7x, but on my R8, if the AGC is switched off,
MW signals will block with full RF gain.

* *Is R7x similar enough to R8x that could be the case?

Yes, that could certainly be the case if the AGC were switched completely off.
That can be a good reception technique, but then of course the RF gain has to be
lowered.
But with the AGC on, the R7/A can handle most anything and should not be
experiencing blocking with the RF gain set completely clockwise.

Drake's R7,7A and TR7 have a VERY dynamic range . In 1979 WRTH
receiver review testing was done in the heart of Manhattan and NO
overload of any sort was observed. The front end is very well
designed and capable of handling extremely high signals. However,
I don't like to expose vintage equipment to the extremes, just a
precaution. AM (mediumwave) signal strengths here in NYC
are quite high , especially from WOR and WABC. We are talking of S
+60dB...