Old July 19th 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default KGED AM 1680 Proves 'Dwardo is Full of Crap

"dxAce" wrote in message

Brenda Ann wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

As for KGED, they have apparently been heard in South Africa, quite a
feat.

I was talking to my friend Pat Martin yesterday (a biggie in the DX
field),
and he told me about that. Apparently, KGED is using him for thier
reception
report manager. That is quite a feat, indeed. I have yet to hear anything
at
all in the X-band here in Korea.. but if I'm going to hear anything, it
would be a station like KGED. Maybe I'll go on a DX-pedition to the east
coast one of these days with my E1XM and Grundig Satellit 700.

Good luck! Here at least, in the heartland of the USA, TA/TP dx is pretty
much
non-existent other than the occasional het from Algeria or whatever.

The band of course is awash with signals, so it would be very interesting
from
some foreign land, especially if one understands English. A plethora of
stations
to spend a lifetime dx'ing.

I'm hoping that I can find a decent place to DX from. At this place, the
only US station I can hear is WWVH, and that only on rare occasions on 5 and
10 MHz. That, and occasional VOA signals, but I'm pretty sure those are
coming from a nearby relay.

Old July 19th 08, 02:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Dave" wrote in message
m...
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 13:07:41 -0700, David Eduardo wrote:

The only problem is that there is an amazingly small part of the total
radio audience that uses AM at night. And, of itself, 7-Midnight
listening to radio is about a third of the daytime levels...

Radio audiences and radio advertising are all concentrated in the 6 AM
to 7 PM hours. Since radio is a business, we have to focus on the times
when some economic benefit can be derived, or we go out of business and
have to sell.

You said yourself you only survey people who live in metro areas, so how
can you speak with any kind of authority regarding how us hillbillies use
the radio?

I don't survey. Arbitron does. And if you are anywhere in LA County, you are
in a metro

Radio broadcasting is to serve the public interest, convenience and
necessity. If you can serve the public and make a few bucks on the side,
good for you.

Unfortunately, about half of all stations have not made money since the
50's.

Old July 19th 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Dave" wrote in message
m...
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 13:11:32 -0700, David Eduardo wrote:

I can't think of a single successful x-band station...

I can:

http://www.bryanbroadcasting.com/wtaw.html

Yes, you did find one. The station is #3 in billing in the market, and is
installing HD this month, per the web page.

Turns out there are more... KOZN in Omaha, WEUP in Huntsville, WJRO in
Monroe, KRZI in Waco and WQLR in Kalamazoo.

6 successful ones out of 53 X Band stations.

Old July 19th 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
m...
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 13:11:32 -0700, David Eduardo wrote:

I can't think of a single successful x-band station...

I can:

http://www.bryanbroadcasting.com/wtaw.html

Yes, you did find one. The station is #3 in billing in the market, and is
installing HD this month, per the web page.

There goes the neighborhood...

Old July 19th 08, 03:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Dave wrote:

This station, on a clean channel, covers most of California with a very
listenable signal, with only 10 KW days, 1 KW night. Why? Because the
frequency doesn't have too many stations on it. Greed killed AM radio,
along with the rest of the former USA.

I didn't know the USA went away. Time for another bowl of intelligence
suppressant.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old July 19th 08, 03:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"Brenda Ann" wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

As for KGED, they have apparently been heard in South Africa, quite a
feat.

I was talking to my friend Pat Martin yesterday (a biggie in the DX field),
and he told me about that. Apparently, KGED is using him for thier reception
report manager. That is quite a feat, indeed. I have yet to hear anything at
all in the X-band here in Korea.. but if I'm going to hear anything, it
would be a station like KGED. Maybe I'll go on a DX-pedition to the east
coast one of these days with my E1XM and Grundig Satellit 700.

Go for it Brenda and let us know how it turned out.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old July 19th 08, 08:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jul 18, 1:57*pm, Dave wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 13:07:41 -0700, David Eduardo wrote:
The only problem is that there is an amazingly small part of the total
radio audience that uses AM at night. And, of itself, 7-Midnight
listening to radio is about a third of the daytime levels...

Radio audiences and radio advertising are all concentrated in the 6 AM
to 7 PM hours. Since radio is a business, we have to focus on the times
when some economic benefit can be derived, or we go out of business and
have to sell.

You said yourself you only survey people who live in metro areas, so how
can you speak with any kind of authority regarding how us hillbillies use
the radio?

- Radio broadcasting is to serve the public interest,
- convenience and necessity. *If you can serve the
- public and make a few bucks on the side, good for you.

How To Serve Man ~ $erving the Public Interest
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Serv..._Twilight_Zone)
Radio Broadcasters Slice and Dice Up the Public into
Marketable Groups and Sell Them to Advertisers.
Old July 19th 08, 09:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce, America's Finest, wrote:

Vestige, like your balls, Rickets?

Just what is your fascination with male genitalia, Lare? You solicit
fellatio on this newsgroup and then post your phone number so other
perverts can contact you. This week you've also had public communication
in this newsgroup concerning vibrating condoms.

Keep your twisted sex life out of here, Sweet Cheeks, and confine it to
your weekly 'Mutual Respect' sessions.

mike

--
Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage,
this filter blocks all postings with a Gmail,

http://improve-usenet.org/

Old July 19th 08, 09:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

m II wrote:

dxAce, America's Finest, wrote:

Vestige, like your balls, Rickets?

Just what is your fascination with male genitalia, Lare? You solicit
fellatio on this newsgroup and then post your phone number so other
perverts can contact you. This week you've also had public communication
in this newsgroup concerning vibrating condoms.

Keep your twisted sex life out of here, Sweet Cheeks, and confine it to
your weekly 'Mutual Respect' sessions.

Sweet Cheeks?

It's what they call you at the 'Mutual Respect' sessions, as you well
know. Have you ordered the vibrating condoms recommended to you by Burr
yet? Are you and all your partners getting case lots? Do you get
Frequent Deviancy Discounts?

mike

--
Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage,
this filter blocks all postings with a Gmail,
Google Mail, Google Groups or HOTMAIL address.
It also filters everything from a .cn server.

http://improve-usenet.org/

FA: HEATHKIT HR-1680 Receiver $20.50 [email protected] Boatanchors 0 July 15th 05 05:16 PM
Heathkit HR-1680 Speaker Jim Barnard Swap 0 December 28th 04 07:04 PM
Almost a shortwave...1680 AM Pirate? Gary Brown Shortwave 3 December 24th 04 03:25 AM
heathkit hr-1680 jwb Boatanchors 0 October 17th 04 01:04 PM
1680 AM Spanish Eddie Kerwin Shortwave 0 July 10th 03 03:54 AM