Old August 1st 08, 03:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Homes in foreclosure and, yet, HDTV?

On Jul 31, 4:15 pm, wrote:
For some people who don't subscribe to satellite tv (I subscribe to
DirecTV, To much money for the amount of bread) or cable tv, there will
be no tv at all for them.I think some of those people will be highly
pizzed off too.It will not be an easy transition from Analog tv to HD
tv.I predict there will be, Katrinas all over America, there will be
Hell to pay! fed govt F..ks up again! Wearethegovtandweareheretohelpyou.
cuhulin

It's not going to be any surprise for anyone who watches over-the-air
TV. Every channel here advertises the change all day and all night
long. It is constantly going across the screen on a banner, they keep
announcing it -- there is just no way these people don't know what is
coming. I know people in their 80's and 90's who already have a
digital tuner or converter box. Central California has the largest
over-the-air population of anywhere in the US, and everyone I talk to
is well aware of what is coming. Yes, it might require an outdoor
antenna for some who now use an indoor antenna. We have 13 full-power
stations here and 13 low-power stations. All 13 low-power stations
will remain on the air for a few more years.

I don't think it's going to be a big problem at all. You would have
to live in a vacuum to not know what is coming. And there are people
helping the elderly install their converter boxes. And more low power
stations keep popping up. They will provide the service to those who
don't want to make the conversion at this time.
Old August 1st 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
On Jul 31, 4:15 pm, wrote:

It's not going to be any surprise for anyone who watches over-the-air
TV. Every channel here advertises the change all day and all night
long. It is constantly going across the screen on a banner, they keep
announcing it -- there is just no way these people don't know what is
coming. I know people in their 80's and 90's who already have a
digital tuner or converter box. Central California has the largest
over-the-air population of anywhere in the US, and everyone I talk to
is well aware of what is coming. Yes, it might require an outdoor
antenna for some who now use an indoor antenna.

For many, an outdoor antenna is not an option. Just try getting permission
in a covenant community or an apartment complex to put up an antenna.. It
will be interesting, for sure, to see what does happen next February. I
suspect there will be a lot more than one might think that will be caught
without.

Old August 1st 08, 04:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brenda Ann wrote:
wrote in message
On Jul 31, 4:15 pm, wrote:

[...]

TV antennae are a protected species. FCC has ruled that no ordinances
nor CC&R's may be enforced infringing the right to put up an antenna to
receive OTA TV or small dish satellite.

Locally, a very restrictive community tried to prevent the
installation of an outdoor TV antenna. It took a couple of phone calls
and a quote of the regulations to get the HOA off the back of the
homeowner. There was another followup action to remove the newly
installed antenna, but it stands today. Now three years and counting.

FCC has been very clear about this...no one may prevent the
installation of an outdoor antenna for TV reception. Digital or otherwise.

Old August 1st 08, 04:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D Peter Maus wrote:

FCC has been very clear about this...no one may prevent the
installation of an outdoor antenna for TV reception. Digital or otherwise.

I wonder why there haven't been stories of people in restricted condos
putting up long wire antennas that, by pure coincidence, work better at
receiving shortwave than they are getting TV signals?

Better yet, TWO long wire antennas that could be explained away as
merely huge rabbit ears.

mike

--
Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage,
this filter blocks all postings with a Gmail,

http://improve-usenet.org/
Old August 1st 08, 05:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
Brenda Ann wrote:
wrote in message
On Jul 31, 4:15 pm, wrote:

[...]

Many HOA's and apartment owners skirt that by stating that 'cable is
available'. I know it stuck in Beaverton, OR. They started some years ago
to restrict outdoor antennas, as soon as cable came to town. Eventually, I
think they relented on 19" dishes, IF they could be disguised, but AFAIK,
never on OTA antennas.

Old August 1st 08, 05:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

m II wrote:
D Peter Maus wrote:

FCC has been very clear about this...no one may prevent the
installation of an outdoor antenna for TV reception. Digital or otherwise.

I wonder why there haven't been stories of people in restricted condos
putting up long wire antennas that, by pure coincidence, work better at
receiving shortwave than they are getting TV signals?

Better yet, TWO long wire antennas that could be explained away as
merely huge rabbit ears.

mike

You're being absurd.

FCC has also implied an extension of the Ham radio antenna exemption
for other radio hobbycraft. And there have been instances where local
CC&Rs have been overruled.

I posted a link to the relevant rule here a few years ago. And used
that very rule to shut down a couple of attempts to get my antennae
pulled down.

Old August 1st 08, 05:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brenda Ann wrote:
wrote in message
On Jul 31, 4:15 pm, wrote:
[...]

And that's not relevant. FCC is quite clear. The right of an outdoor
antenna for OTA may not be restricted. Even if alternatives are available.

I know it stuck in Beaverton, OR. They started some years ago
to restrict outdoor antennas, as soon as cable came to town. Eventually, I
think they relented on 19" dishes, IF they could be disguised, but AFAIK,
never on OTA antennas.

If it stuck in Beaverton, there were other issues at play. Many
HOA's, when faced with the loss of the 'cable' argument claim safety
issues. Which then require inspections and individual rulings. And a lot
of wasted time. And few homeowners have the time, nor the resources to
fight an HOA which is well funded, and has lawyers on staff.

But the fact remains OTA TV antennae are a protected species. FCC is
clear on that.

They're also clear that small dish antennae are also protected.
Disguised or not.

Old August 1st 08, 05:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jul 31, 8:52*pm, m II wrote:
D Peter Maus wrote:
* FCC has been very clear about this...no one may prevent the
installation of an outdoor antenna for TV reception. Digital or otherwise.

I wonder why there haven't been stories of people in restricted condos
putting up long wire antennas that, by pure coincidence, work better at
receiving shortwave than they are getting TV signals?

- Better yet, TWO long wire antennas that could be
- explained away as merely huge rabbit ears.
-
- mike

BIG RABBIT EARS IS LISTENING !

we love you tv ~ RHF
Old August 1st 08, 06:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jul 31, 9:07*pm, "Brenda Ann" wrote:
"D Peter Maus" wrote in ...

Brenda Ann wrote:
wrote in message
On Jul 31, 4:15 pm, wrote:

[...]

'available' does not meet the letter or the spirit of the Law.

Alternative does -meaning- that the complex is 'wired'
for a Community TV Antenna and/or Cable TV -and-
that Service is included in the Building's HOA Fees.

Apartment Buildings and Condo Conplexes can : If they
want to meet this test. Subdivisions that are made-up
of Individual Homes governed by a HOA or covered by
a CC&R most of the time do not meet this test.
Old August 1st 08, 06:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message

If it stuck in Beaverton, there were other issues at play. Many HOA's,
when faced with the loss of the 'cable' argument claim safety issues.
Which then require inspections and individual rulings. And a lot of wasted
time. And few homeowners have the time, nor the resources to fight an HOA
which is well funded, and has lawyers on staff.

But the fact remains OTA TV antennae are a protected species. FCC is
clear on that.

They're also clear that small dish antennae are also protected.
Disguised or not.

This may well be true, and I have no reason to doubt it. That being said,
most people won't fight their HOA/apartment owner over the issue, figuring
that they wouldn't be able to win, or, as you said, don't feel it worth
their time and money to fight it. Who knows whether this will change next
February or not.

The Story of Two Homes Steve Shortwave 0 April 9th 07 07:32 PM
Chucky's new homes U-Know-Who CB 14 December 22nd 06 01:19 AM
Florida to allow use of force even outside homes. [email protected] Shortwave 0 April 6th 05 04:35 AM
Five million homes have Freeview Mike Terry Broadcasting 0 January 19th 05 12:29 AM