Old September 22nd 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default MW DX'ing with Portables/Boatanchors

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 02:35:43 UTC, "Bob Campbell" wrote:

"Count Floyd" wrote in message
You are right about C2C being on every station. I was listening to
live talk from WBZ, Boston last night all night, so there are some
stations still out there. I don't know if it was the cooling weather,
but WBZ was booming in all 5's here in Hobe Sound, Florida.

Off topic, but, wow - Hobe Sound! That brings back a bad memory from
about 15(?) years ago. I was driving north on I-95 from Ft. Lauderdale to
Jacksonville. I forgot to gas up before I left, so by the time I hit the
Hobe Sound exit I was nearly empty. Coming down the exit ramp from 95, the
road was empty in both directions. I figured I would have a better chance
of finding a gas station going east than west, so I went east. After what
seemed like 5 miles - but was probably less - I came across a Mobil station.
The light on my gas gauge was on - you know, the light that means "you are
damn near out of gas"!

For those not familiar with the area, once you get north of Ft.
Lauderdale/Boca Raton/Palm Beach, there is basically nothing until you get
to Ft. Pierce - at least that's how it was at that time. I had to get
gas NOW or I was screwed!

There is nothing on the radio in that area either (to make this post
somewhat radio related!).

It's funny, that Mobile station is still there and that is where we
get our gas! This is like a dead zone for radio, even when conditions
are right, I can't seem to pick up the elusive stations. Of course, I
am thinking of taking my portable to the beach at night, but the
Gestapo on Jupiter Island close the beach at Sunset, to protect guys
like Tiger Woods and Greg Norman I suppose. I have a 40 foot wire
running out my office window, NE/SW hooked to a variety of radios:
HQ-145XC, HE-10, RF-2200, CCraneSW, DX-440 and my old standby
S-38C(Made the year I was born, 1952). Sometimes, the band lights up
and MW comes in like crazy, other times, I am swamped by Cubans on
every channel.
Old September 25th 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

There is nothing on the radio in that area either (to make this post
somewhat radio related!).

It's funny, that Mobile station is still there and that is where we
get our gas! This is like a dead zone for radio, even when conditions
are right, I can't seem to pick up the elusive stations.

Every time I have driven thru that area, it has been a dead zone for radio
reception. There just seems to be VERY little available on AM and FM
there. I remember one Saturday afternoon in the fall I was listening to a
Gator football game while driving on I-95 North. You can catch it on
various stations all the way up the east coast of Florida EXCEPT in the Hobe
Sound area. Weird.

Old September 26th 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"elaich" wrote in message ...
"Bob Campbell" wrote in
m:

Every time I have driven thru that area, it has been a dead zone for
radio reception. There just seems to be VERY little available on AM
and FM there. I remember one Saturday afternoon in the fall I was
listening to a Gator football game while driving on I-95 North. You
can catch it on various stations all the way up the east coast of
Florida EXCEPT in the Hobe Sound area.

It's called a white area. I don't know what causes them, but one of my
buddies lived in one back in the 60s. I would ride my bike over to his
house with my transistor on, and about three blocks from his house, the
signal levels dropped dramatically. About three blocks past his house,
they
picked up again.

This is not a 3 block area. This is miles and miles.

Old September 26th 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

elaich wrote:

I also noticed an odd phenomenon back in the 80's when I lived in the
Sacramento River Delta. I always had KNBR on at night. A very powerful
local signal in that area. Coming home at night from town, when I reached a
certain point, KNBR's signal sounded like it was phasing or cancelling
itself out. It was momentary, and always happened at exactly the same
place. I've never explained that one, either.

That's where the sky wave and the ground wave cancel each other out.
KNX has the same deal around Beaumont.
Old September 26th 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dave wrote in :

That's where the sky wave and the ground wave cancel each other out.
KNX has the same deal around Beaumont.

That was my idea as well.

MW DX'ing with Portables/Boatanchors [email protected] Shortwave 0 September 21st 08 01:11 AM
MW DX'ing [email protected] Shortwave 26 September 11th 08 04:12 AM
MW DX'ing Guy Atkins Shortwave 0 September 6th 08 05:42 PM
MW DX'ing BCBlazysusan Shortwave 1 September 6th 08 10:39 AM
MW DX'ing KaitoWRX911 Shortwave 0 September 6th 08 06:16 AM