Old October 4th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default IBOC obsolete out of the box.

In article ,
A Browne wrote:

What's left for radio is local content, & content worth listening too.
Playing the same hits over and over simply won't due in a world
wireless and plugged into the world wide web.

You claim that "local content" is key, and "playing the same songs over
and over again" is killing radio.

Then you proclaim that streaming, Ipods and Zunes, Wifi, and Wimax are
the answers....most of which have NO local content....and play the same
songs ove and over again. (BTW...the Same songs over and over again are
OK, as long as they are the the songs that you like!)

iPods and other mp3 players have gigabytes of storage that hold thousands
of tracks. Mine has over 6000 different tracks. My spouse's has over
13,000 different tracks.

The average radio station playlist is less than 400 tracks, many, if not
most, less than 200. I think the "Jack" format has as many as 1000 tracks,

It's like shirts in a lcoset. Most men have a closet full of shirts....but
have 5 or 6 they really wear all the time.

Radio is BROADcasting. You can have 6,000 songs on your ipod that you like.
Not something you can do when you are trying to attract the most listeners
you can...and keep them listening for the longest you can.

Playing the same songs over and over is fine....as long as they are songs
people like.

Except that there's been scientific research that describes how
much people like a song depends on how many times they've heard it.
The enjoyment peaks at about the fifth hearing, and that after about
the fifteenth time, it gets to be irritating.

Mark Zenier

Old October 6th 08, 07:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

If 10 million people find HD radio, that doesn't mean 10, million new
listeners.
It means remaining radio listeners will be scattered all over the
radio dial.

Better they stay and be scattered all over the dial....than have them OFF
the dial....turning to satelite radio because they can't find a format that
pleases them.

That's right. Audiences will shrink in the upcoming years, and so will
revenue. There won't be as much money to go around, and the HD channels
will continue to be pretty much useless.

More soothsaying huh?

Didn't they say radio was toast when TV came along and stole all the good
entertainers/entertainment?

What happenned Radio re-invented itself.

Good thing people didn't listen to you back then.

Old October 6th 08, 07:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Playing the same songs over and over is fine....as long as they are songs
people like.

Except that there's been scientific research that describes how
much people like a song depends on how many times they've heard it.
The enjoyment peaks at about the fifth hearing, and that after about
the fifteenth time, it gets to be irritating.

Ummm...please cite me that research. I don't know that to be true.

Old October 6th 08, 09:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Radio Ronn" lq6dpvk02-at-sneakemail.com wrote in message

If 10 million people find HD radio, that doesn't mean 10, million new
listeners.
It means remaining radio listeners will be scattered all over the
radio dial.

Better they stay and be scattered all over the dial....than have them OFF
the dial....turning to satelite radio because they can't find a format

that
pleases them.

Why is it "better they stay"? If people like satellite radio better than
terresterial radio, what's the problem?

By the way, satellite radio isn't overtaking terresterial radio. I guess
having a hundered channels of second tier programming isn't a compelling
reason to buy another radio, at least for most people.

Oh, well.

That's right. Audiences will shrink in the upcoming years, and so will
revenue. There won't be as much money to go around, and the HD channels
will continue to be pretty much useless.

More soothsaying huh?

It's arguement. Soothsayers think things will happen just because they
think things will happen.

Didn't they say radio was toast when TV came along and stole all the good
entertainers/entertainment?

Radio, as it existed in the 30s and 40s, was toast. Most of the radio stars
and shows went to TV. Radio was becoming neglected by the networks.
However, that neglect, combined with a greatly weakened ASCAP, allowed many
stations to make money by playing recorded music, rather than being largely
programmed from New York.

What happenned Radio re-invented itself.

Good thing people didn't listen to you back then.

Is what I say all that powerful? Holy cats! But for me, it's only opinion
backed up with facts.

But how about you? I'm sure you're convinced IBOC is the wave of the
future. How much have you invested in the networks and ibiquity? Don't
forget you're retirement fund!

Frank Dresser

Old October 8th 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

It depends on how soon it is played again. One hour later, month later,
year later makes a big difference. What the radio stations do with short
playlists is pure torture. I turned off FM in my teens and bought my own
records, tapes, and CD's.

There are people who listen to the radio once in a blue moon...and there are
those that would have it on every waking moment.

Neither of these are who radio thinks about when programming. So if you
fall into these two categories, radio is not shedding a tear because you
left.

Radio programs to the masses. Some CHR/Top 40 stations rotate their most
popular songs every 2-1/4 hours....and are very sucessful....such as Z100,
Kiss 108, Kiss-FM, etc. Is it because people WANT to hear the same song
2-1/4 hours later? No, it probably because the same people aren't
listening. And if they are, they'll hear the most popular song(s) a 2nd
time.

(And yes, people complaim about the frequency of songs -those that want to
listen for 18 hours str8....and people complain that they never hear there
favorite songs---those that listen for 5 minutes a day.)

CHR stations are notorius for getting huge cumes. It works.

Quite frankly this is an absolutely stupid argument as everyone knows
what the public wants.

Everyone except the radio stations, right?

Telamon knows more thatthe programmers of the most sucessful stations in the
counrty. puh-leese.

When I was listening to FM long ago a new station
would appear on the dial and was trying to get market share. Well, what
did they do you ask?

1. Few commercials.
2. The commercials they had were read by the DJ's without the annoying
volume changes, sound effects, background music.
3. They played albums not just the one or two most popular tracks. They
didn't always play the entire album but most it.
4. The DJ's played the music they liked.
5. Some of the DJ's were comedians and were fun and interesting.

Market share grew. The station became popular.

Please cite this case...and the timeline...so that you can prove this point.

Back to the subject line "IBOC obsolete out of the box" is true. It's
old technology. Worse it is miss applied to the AM band. Even worse is
the analog/digital cohabitation of the band. Technically pure crapola.

Get used to it. It's here to stay. And like FM, like Stereo, etc...it will
get better.

Old October 8th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

As a youngster, I was absolutely fascinated by all things radio -
being able to hear stations from all over the US, on a simple pocket
transistor radio, falling asleep to programs from WLS, WBBM, KOA,
etc., was magical to me as an 8 year old. My neighbor introduced me to
shortwave on one of these;

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...xvr/sx130.html

His wife gave the rig to me when he passed away; I still have it,
although it isn't working now. I heard HCJB for my first shortwave
station (who didn't?), and I was hooked.

Over the years, I have owned dozens of radios - scanners, portables,
desktops, you name it. I still have quite a few of them, and I still
get a great deal of enjoyment from the magic of radio. My E1 XM even
got me into satellite radio, and I can't believe it took me so long to
finally try it! I'm hooked on that now, too. As for IBOC, I even
picked up a well-built Sony XDR-S3HD on closeout, just to try it out.
AM is marginal; the HD rarely stays locked for more than a minute...
the FM works well, for the most part, but only because I have an
amplified antenna connected up - otherwise, many stations refuse to
lock on to the HD signal.

I think the main reason that there are any people upset, or
indifferent, to HD radio, is that instead of it being an open,
unencumbered, free, and easily implemented transparent standard, it is
tightly controlled, proprietary, restricted, and prohibitively
expensive, benefiting only one greedy corporation; Ibiquity. If the
transition were more like the one for Digital TV, where converter
boxes were inexpensive, and the government supplied people with $40
vouchers towards the purchase of them, I think the perception would be
drastically different. Instead, Ibiquity came up with a solution to a
problem that didn't exist for most people, and charged up the wazoo
for it... kind of like Microsoft... Windows Vista for Radio!

http://gravitymedium.com/2008/03/17/...ling-hd-radio/

(Sorry, everyone - I shouldn't be taking over Pocket Radio's job! The
article was too good to pass up, though.)

If Ibiquity wasn't so blatantly greedy, and so manipulative with the
press, things might have gone better for them. But I doubt it. At
least the Ibiquity shills will still have plenty of work to do... ;-)

Old October 8th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 8, 3:53*pm, KaitoWRX911 wrote:
On Oct 7, 7:01 pm, "A Browne" wrote:

[...]

Technically, there is no way to improve IBOC. IBOC is failing, and it
will eventually disappear.

Windows Vista users are looking for a new fresh appearance for their
computer.
Instead, they got an expensive bloated operating system, that's like
dragging a boat anchor around. And cumbersome security gadgets.

The reason broadcasters bought into IBOC was because of perceived
threats from satellite radio. It's sold as near CD sound quality, and
hundreds of free stations. I think dissatisfied radio listeners may
simply want expanded play list, less repetition. And please stop
playing 10 spots back to back. The sound is ok.

Instead listeners must buy another radio, when their current radios
work. Broadcasters are tinkering with the technology. Some days IBOCS
are running and some days they're not. So far IBOC stations are
simulcasts of existing stations, or mostly vanilla jockless jukeboxes.
Hundreds of new radio stations, maybe if you count all stations across
the country. Research is saying listeners are confused, they think
IBOC and satellite radio are the same.

The government should provide a coupon, or Iniquity should make cheap
converter boxes

Old October 9th 08, 12:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Get used to it. ?It's here to stay. ?And like FM, like Stereo, etc...it
will
get better.

Technically, there is no way to improve IBOC. IBOC is failing, and it
will eventually disappear.

Oh ye of little brains.

Just to point to one choice. The FCC is pondering allowing the increase in
power for IBOC/HD.

Thats, in itself will make it better.

BTW...How id your Atari computer?

Did that get any better?