Old October 3rd 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Best SW indoor antenna poll

Well my Sony AN-LP1 gave up and quit on me. Any Welbrook loop is out
of the question since I still need to eat. What indoor setup have you
had the most success with ?

open loop ceiling antenna
closed loop ceiling antenna
Open or closed loop wall antenna
Slinky dipole
Slinky verticle
or the good old multi turn random longwire
Anything else ?

The reciever is a Icom R-75

73"s
Old October 3rd 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

do you have attic access?
a simple long wire at about 50 to 75 feet should be of big help.
you are out in the mojave?
inside ant. means no lighting strikes
good luck just west of you, out on the coast.
DW

Old October 3rd 08, 05:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
MojaveDxer wrote:

Well my Sony AN-LP1 gave up and quit on me. Any Welbrook loop is out
of the question since I still need to eat. What indoor setup have you
had the most success with ?

open loop ceiling antenna
closed loop ceiling antenna
Open or closed loop wall antenna
Slinky dipole
Slinky verticle
or the good old multi turn random longwire
Anything else ?

The reciever is a Icom R-75

73"s

Start with a closed loop. Chances are a vertical polarized will work
best but it depends on your local environment. Pick an outside wall of
the room you are in, a loop wall to wall and floor to ceiling will
probably 36 to 40 feet in circumference. Open the loop at the middle of
a vertical side and connect it to a piece of coax from the radio. The
coax shield is connected to one wire the coax center lead to the other
wire. If the signal to noise is good then stick with that. This will
provide plenty of signal to your radio.

If the signal to noise is not good then make a balanced shielded loop.
You make it the same way as above but with coax cable. Here you have
the opening on a vertical side as before and you run the coax in a loop
around the wall at the end of the coax where it meets the start of the
loop you tie the shield and signal wire of the cable end to the shield
of the coax at the beginning of the loop. Then on the opposite side of
the loop from the start (the middle of the other vertical side) you
split just the shield. This is a balanced shielded loop. The output
will be much lower than the wire loop but will probably have a better
signal to noise ratio. This loop will only be responsive to the
magnetic field and so the output will be lower but it is even less
sensitive to local noise fields.

This only takes some coax and wire to make so it's cheap. It is low
impedance so connect it to the radio's 50 ohm input.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old October 3rd 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 2, 8:22*pm, MojaveDxer wrote:
*Well my Sony AN-LP1 gave up and quit on me. Any Welbrook loop is out
of the question since I *still need to eat. What indoor setup have you
had the most success with ?

*open loop ceiling antenna
*closed loop ceiling antenna
*Open or closed loop wall antenna
*Slinky dipole
*Slinky verticle
*or the good old multi turn random longwire
Anything else ?

* The reciever is a Icom R-75

*73"s

In this order:

1. A multi-band tuned coil strung in the attic.
2. A simple longwire strung in the attic. Just string it around the
perimiter of the attic.
3. A simple longwire strung around the baseboards of your listening
room.
4. A wire antenna strung around the perimeter of a window.
Old October 4th 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 21:38:22 -0700, Telamon
wrote:

In article
,
MojaveDxer wrote:

[...]

I second Telamon's suggestion. Once had a closed loop in my home,
along an outside wall, less than 50 feet circumference (small room)
and after some playing found it worked best through a quickly
fashioned 9:1 transformer (an old small ferrite ring from a tv
transformer and some magnet wire) & a short run of coax (also small -
..100 diameter) to the radio.

Old October 4th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 21:38:22 -0700, Telamon
wrote:

In article
,
MojaveDxer wrote:

[...]

I have done a fair amount of experimentation and found the loops to
work best over dipoles and random wires. I have tried a number of
transformers coupling them to the radio and generally found that they
only help on some frequencies that the setup happens to peak. For
broadband direct coupling seems to work best.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old October 4th 08, 06:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Thank you all for the replies and advice.

I am in a apartment and I have no access to the crawl space. I think
Telemons advice with the balanced loops will work the best for my
situation. The quick and dirty closed loops produced two much noise. I
put up and a 40' ceiling loop and its getting the job done for now.
Two balanced loops on two walls should get good results if I can get
the noise problem under control.

73's

Old October 4th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 21:38:22 -0700, Telamon
wrote:

In article
,
MojaveDxer wrote:

[...]

The Single-Turn [1T] Coax Cable {Shielded} Loop Antenna
for basic Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL) - It Works !
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...124628bab11ecf

An "Easy-to-Make" Coax [Shielded] Loop Antenna
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...8005ce8c7f5c9c

Building a Ready-Made "GreerTech" Coax Cable
[Shielded] Loop Antenna with Multi-Heads
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...ea5a14e68910ac
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...85af3cef2fb65f

The "TRICK" to TV 'type' Coax Cable [Shielded]
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Loop Antennas
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...a0aadd03af7bc7
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...f9f216217d3420
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...d041c709c4f3c7

In-Door {In-the-Room} Coax Cable {Shielded} Magnetic Loop
Antennas for Listening to the Shortwave Bands (SWL)
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...329344236230bf

One Yard or One Metre Diameter Hula-Hoop Signal Turn (1T) Coax Cable
{Shielded} Loop Antenna for Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL)
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...2753cba485235d

hope this helps with the quest for an indoor antenna
loops are some of the best 'inside' - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
Old October 7th 08, 12:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Joe,

I have no idea what happend to the ANLP-1 unit. Itwas only four
years old and was treated with good care. I do have a friend that can
repair it once he finds out what went wrong with the unit.

Telemon, If I have the feedline at the center bottom of both loops
then both loops will show E/W N/S directional characteristics
depending on the loop orientation. Is this right ?

73'
Old October 7th 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dear Sir:

This link may be of some help to you should you require parts. This
company MAY have certain of the parts still in stock. I suggest that,
if it becomes necessary, you telephone them.

http://www.partstore.com/PartSearch....FQSPFQod5Wa0Ew

I hope you can get your antenna fixed. This is the first time I have
EVER heard of one going "south." Should it become too difficult to
find parts, or if they are too costly, consider buying another one
from this site:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-AN-LP1-Port...742.m153.l1262
.

This man is ABSOLUTELY reliable. You don't even have to give him your
credit card number if you do not wish to do so (though I myself would
have no qualms). I purchased one from him and got it in FOUR(!) days.
And his price is "right."

Of its type, I think that the Sony AN-LP1 antenna is the best one ever
designed and made. I still fail to understand why Sony will make it
and allow it to be sold by several Japanese dealers but not by Sony of
America. It just makes no sense to me.

Best of luck,

Joe

SW Indoor antenna mcan Shortwave 5 October 27th 12 12:34 AM
Need indoor am antenna... Waldo Lydecker Shortwave 19 April 29th 08 08:15 PM
Indoor Antenna Terry M. Shortwave 9 November 10th 07 08:07 AM
What indoor antenna do you use? [email protected] Shortwave 16 January 31st 05 01:26 PM
Indoor antenna BruceB1836 CB 7 September 2nd 03 09:39 PM